Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

MUP passing etiquette

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

MUP passing etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 07:09 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I like to just sit on the MUP in the underpass and have picnics because why not? It's fun to use the MUP and I only have to walk 3 miles out of my way to do so.
Old 05-14-18, 06:20 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Two paper bags on a wet day. Very inconsiderate when they spill open right as a cyclist is passing.
Should I have stopped and given the shopper a little lesson on the proper grocery bags to carry? Or should I have stopped to given the shopper a little lesson that it is never proper to walk on a MUP? Or both?

I mean politely without getting into any yelling.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-14-18 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-14-18, 07:06 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
When I worked in the area a few years back, they had shuttle buses on the parts that had already been built, but no plans to expand it at all.
That's interesting. Was there any utilization, office workers shuttling from one office building to another? I didn't work in offices there but I did some freelance computer support there and was always curious about that.
Old 05-14-18, 04:52 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Should I have stopped and given the shopper a little lesson on the proper grocery bags to carry? Or should I have stopped to given the shopper a little lesson that it is never proper to walk on a MUP? Or both?

I mean politely without getting into any yelling.

-mr. bill
Why not put his groceries in your panniers and carry them to his home?
Oh, that is right, you are recreational riding on the path paid for with transportation funds and so you do not have panniers.
Old 05-14-18, 05:15 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
Oh, that is right, you are recreational riding on the path paid for with transportation funds and so you do not have panniers.
Should you really be posting about bicycles on an internet originally designed and funded for military and academic use?
Old 05-14-18, 06:58 PM
mr_bill

Because I’m not a creep.

You seem to have a bag fetish. Do you care if I put my grocery in a pannier bag, messenger bag, or backpack? How many pannier bag? One in the back, two in the back, or front (one/two)? All of them? What about a handlebar bag? Seat bag? All of the above bag?

Is there an approved frame material I should be riding on our MUP? How many spoke should I have in my wheel, and should there be more spoke in the front wheel or the back wheel, or the same number of spoke? Can my rim be carbon, aluminum, or must my rim be steel? Is it ok if my rim don’t match?

Are drop handlebar ok, or must they be straight? How many chainwheel, and how many sprocket. Fixie or freewheel?

I mean, YOU seem to think you are paying for our MUP, so you make the rule. (Along with the person who doesn't believe person should walk.)

-mr, bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-14-18 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-15-18, 09:30 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
That's interesting. Was there any utilization, office workers shuttling from one office building to another? I didn't work in offices there but I did some freelance computer support there and was always curious about that.
Not much that I saw, at least in the middle of the afternoon. 1-2 people on a 16-24 passenger shuttle. Might have been more popular at the rush hours or during special events.
Old 05-15-18, 09:42 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Kontact
Should you really be posting about bicycles on an internet originally designed and funded for military and academic use?
If it were still funded by the military no. But I am fine if you want to turn it back to the military, just let your congressman know.

Again your post has nothing to do with the real discussion at hand. Par for the course with you.
Old 05-15-18, 09:44 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Because I’m not a creep.

You seem to have a bag fetish. Do you care if I put my grocery in a pannier bag, messenger bag, or backpack? How many pannier bag? One in the back, two in the back, or front (one/two)? All of them? What about a handlebar bag? Seat bag? All of the above bag?

Is there an approved frame material I should be riding on our MUP? How many spoke should I have in my wheel, and should there be more spoke in the front wheel or the back wheel, or the same number of spoke? Can my rim be carbon, aluminum, or must my rim be steel? Is it ok if my rim don’t match?

Are drop handlebar ok, or must they be straight? How many chainwheel, and how many sprocket. Fixie or freewheel?

I mean, YOU seem to think you are paying for our MUP, so you make the rule. (Along with the person who doesn't believe person should walk.)

-mr, bill
If you can fit both of his bags in your messenger bag, go for it. Odd you think that would make you a creep.

Sad you do not have the passion for pedestrian and cyclist use of ALL interstates.
Old 05-16-18, 04:46 PM
mr_bill

If you can fit both of his bags in your messenger bag, go for it. Odd you think that would make you a creep.

Sad you do not have the passion for pedestrian and cyclist use of ALL interstates.
What about HORSE use on the ALL interstate?

Anyhow, yeah, a stranger who offers someone an unsolicited ride home is a creep.

And nobody can fit his groceries in any bag.

-mr. bill
Old 05-16-18, 07:24 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Anyhow, yeah, a stranger who offers someone an unsolicited ride home is a creep.
-mr. bill
That comment sounds about right for Massachusetts, especially in the Boston area.
Old 05-19-18, 02:00 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Are you saying that elevated bicycle superhighways are a great idea?
I quite like them.
Old 05-23-18, 02:25 PM
Kontact 

If it were still funded by the military no. But I am fine if you want to turn it back to the military, just let your congressman know.

Again your post has nothing to do with the real discussion at hand. Par for the course with you.
Why are you unable to post without making personal attacks?

I think you know very well that there is currently zero funding for exclusive "bicycle transportation" trails in the US. Which is why I do not understand why you seem to believe that following funding is the same as a guarantee of exclusive use.

Last edited by Kontact; 05-23-18 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-23-18, 05:04 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Why are you unable to post without making personal attacks?

I think you know very well that there is currently zero funding for exclusive "bicycle transportation" trails in the US. Which is why I do not understand why you seem to believe that following funding is the same as a guarantee of exclusive use.
I see you wish to continue your pointless argument. What post did I ever say "exclusive "bicycle transportation""?
At least quote people correctly if you should wish to begin an honest discussion.
Old 05-23-18, 06:03 PM
Kontact 

I see you wish to continue your pointless argument. What post did I ever say "exclusive "bicycle transportation""?
At least quote people correctly if you should wish to begin an honest discussion.
I have quoted you verbatim several times, and I will do so again:

So, crediting you with actually having a point with this statement: It appears that you are saying that Mr. Bill was in the wrong for not having a bike set up for transportation since he was on a bike path paid for with transportation funds.

Is that correct?

If so, why is anyone using a path paid for with transportation funds in the wrong if the path is not designated by law as "transportation only"?

And if you meant something totally different, please explain yourself without sarcasm so it is clear what point you are making.
Old 05-24-18, 03:20 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

I have quoted you verbatim several times, and I will do so again:

So, crediting you with actually having a point with this statement: It appears that you are saying that Mr. Bill was in the wrong for not having a bike set up for transportation since he was on a bike path paid for with transportation funds.

Is that correct?

If so, why is anyone using a path paid for with transportation funds in the wrong if the path is not designated by law as "transportation only"?

And if you meant something totally different, please explain yourself without sarcasm so it is clear what point you are making.
Did not quote what you claim I said "exclusive "bicycle transportation"", but once extraordinarily misreads what someone says to convert it into something you think you can argue with them about. You continue to do the same thing with several BF member.

There is no point trying to clarify things with you, because you will simply twist any clarification as well. It would be best if you simply stayed out of the middle of others discussions between themselves.
Old 05-25-18, 04:33 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Several posters are unable to stay on topic and would rather argue and disrupt the thread.
Closed.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html