Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Somehow, my ass is getting worse

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 08:06 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts

Same seat, same bike, same riding position. It seems that each ride is worse. Yesterday, 55 miles and I am very glad I won't be on the bike until Sunday.

I have a retro Ritchey Vector, about a year old, never been a brilliant fit but it's a bread and butter type seat, it should be ok. The last few rides though, damn.

When racing about 10 years ago, I had a bare bines SLR and it was fine. Maybe up to 130 miles but no problem 4-5 big days a week. So I ordered a new SLR with the cutout, hopefully it'll be like an old friend, just better.

Any ideas why my current setup got so much worse with no change?
Old 05-16-18, 08:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
The rider took a break from riding and his butt got soft? My butt sometimes makes me a wuss if I lay off riding a couple weeks or more.
Old 05-16-18, 08:44 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Same seat, same bike, same riding position. It seems that each ride is worse. Yesterday, 55 miles and I am very glad I won't be on the bike until Sunday.

I have a retro Ritchey Vector, about a year old, never been a brilliant fit but it's a bread and butter type seat, it should be ok. The last few rides though, damn.

When racing about 10 years ago, I had a bare bines SLR and it was fine. Maybe up to 130 miles but no problem 4-5 big days a week. So I ordered a new SLR with the cutout, hopefully it'll be like an old friend, just better.

Any change in chamois?
Old 05-16-18, 09:13 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by cycledogg
Any change in chamois?
I used a black bibs on the last ride. First few miles I was amazed at how comfortable it seemed. It didn't last. Even so, its not a remarkably different shape than my other ones. It may be the culprit but this was just my worst ride, the last several have all really hurt.
Old 05-16-18, 10:03 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
It's possible to develop calcium deposits on your ischial tuberosities due to the inflammation, and they hurt.

I got it on the left side, and could see it on X-ray. I was riding 200 mile weeks, and it wasn't a fitness issue. Had a bunch of saddles, including a Selle Anatomica. Didn't help.

Clean diet, rest, extra chamois, and using a shim on the saddle to even the pressure helped.
Old 05-16-18, 10:58 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The same thing happened to me on a century ride last week, after about 40 miles it became almost unbearable. The same position, same bibs, same saddle I've been using for more than a year "selle italia SLR". Go figure...
Thinking of trying "fabric".
Old 05-17-18, 08:00 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
This happened to me two years ago. I switched saddles and it stopped. No idea why, but I'm guessing aging played a part.
Old 05-17-18, 08:52 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
You probably had much better flexibility and core strength 10 years ago.

Tight muscles and a weakened core cause other muscles to overcompensate. For some people, it causes knee or foot pain. For you, it's quite literally a pain in the ass.

Maybe time to hit the gym or the yoga studio.
Old 05-17-18, 08:58 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
If you're riding a saddle which doesn't fit your butt, it gradually gets worse. Simple as that. Tissue damage gradually increases, eventually becomes unbearable. I've had it take a year before my butt revolted and told me I needed a different saddle. Sometimes it's your butt which changes shape over time, sometimes it's the saddle.
Old 05-17-18, 09:24 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Age. Skin gets more fragile, less elastic, loses subcutaneous fat in some areas - especially the butt. It's more difficult to maintain muscle tone, let alone build it.

Even in otherwise very fit people the butt ages badly compared with the rest of the body.
Old 05-17-18, 09:34 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
This seems to be the key phrase. Change is built into the Universe and consequently, into each of us. The Universe has been changing since it's beginning and so has each of us. Maybe the saddle has changed and or you have changed. I'd be scouting for a different saddle such as a wider one or firmer one or softer one, something a bit different. It may seem there is no end in sight to the problem but stay with it.
Old 05-17-18, 10:17 AM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357

Tight muscles and a weakened core cause other muscles to overcompensate. For some people, it causes knee or foot pain. For you, it's quite literally a pain in the ass.

Yeah. Could be any number of other things as well, but you body gets worse at holding you upright and that extra pressure goes somewhere.
Old 05-17-18, 10:17 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by colombo357

This is probably a lot of the problem. I remember 15 years ago, it was no issue to lay my palms on the floor when standing. Now, I can't touch my toes. I'm working on it.
Old 05-17-18, 12:48 PM
PaulRivers

This is probably a lot of the problem. I remember 15 years ago, it was no issue to lay my palms on the floor when standing. Now, I can't touch my toes. I'm working on it.
I've been going to someone who does "Neuromuscular Massage" that's helped me in loosening up things that are over tight over bound up. I tried a lot of stuff that didn't help much before I found this woman who's actually been helpful.

Still had a bit of a problem with strengthening up stuff though. Great to loosen stuff but I need to be stronger in certain areas. 5 years ago doing "Agile 11" helped me a lot, maybe I'll try it again.
Old 05-17-18, 09:03 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The rider took a break from riding and his butt got soft? My butt sometimes makes me a wuss if I lay off riding a couple weeks or more.
A saddle that fits you shouldn't ever hurt. (Within reason.) last year, after not riding all winter I went out and did 55 miles. No pain or soreness. I could feel that I had ridden, but that's it. (In fairness, I spent a long time and many monies finding the saddle that fits me that well.)

OP needs to start the saddle search!
Old 05-17-18, 11:08 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by Wheever
A saddle that fits you shouldn't ever hurt. (Within reason.) last year, after not riding all winter I went out and did 55 miles. No pain or soreness. I could feel that I had ridden, but that's it. (In fairness, I spent a long time and many monies finding the saddle that fits me that well.)
I don't think that's untypical.

If we're comparing ancedotal experiences, my butt hurts where it contacts the saddle every single spring if I haven't ridden over the winter. Stops happening after only 1-2 rides no big deal, but it happens again in the spring every single spring.
Old 05-18-18, 07:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Potentially you've squashed whatever padding your saddle started with, so you're now sitting with less cushion between you and the saddle's shell now?
Old 05-18-18, 11:29 AM
mihlbach

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Are you riding at the same effort level? Riding slower with lower wattage puts more more weight on the saddle, and probably more time on the saddle as well.
Old 05-18-18, 11:39 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
It's possible to develop calcium deposits on your ischial tuberosities due to the inflammation, and they hurt.

I got it on the left side, and could see it on X-ray. I was riding 200 mile weeks, and it wasn't a fitness issue. Had a bunch of saddles, including a Selle Anatomica. Didn't help.

Clean diet, rest, extra chamois, and using a shim on the saddle to even the pressure helped.
I'm pretty sure I had/have the same issue. I was using a saddle that clearly wasn't working for me. Stubbornly I tried to work through it and only made the problem worse. I could see visible inflammation in that area and it hurt like hell anytime I'd go for a ride. Changing my saddle has helped a lot but there's still some residual soreness once in awhile and also when I ride other bikes. I'm hoping I've fixed the problem before I developed bone spurs.

How do the shims work?
Old 05-18-18, 05:00 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by cthenn
I'm pretty sure I had/have the same issue. I was using a saddle that clearly wasn't working for me. Stubbornly I tried to work through it and only made the problem worse. I could see visible inflammation in that area and it hurt like hell anytime I'd go for a ride. Changing my saddle has helped a lot but there's still some residual soreness once in awhile and also when I ride other bikes. I'm hoping I've fixed the problem before I developed bone spurs.

How do the shims work?
My left sit bone is 5mm lower than the right in the x-ray, so that was the side with all the pressure and calcium.

I cut 3mm rubber sheet to fit the right side of saddle and stuck it down with tubular tire tape. That evened out the pressure.
Old 05-18-18, 05:26 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
This thread is really a disappointment. I came in here thinking it was going to be weight related, with stories about jeans that don't fit anymore
Old 05-18-18, 05:59 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
My left sit bone is 5mm lower than the right in the x-ray, so that was the side with all the pressure and calcium.
Pictures or we really can't believe you.
Old 05-18-18, 10:27 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Pictures or we really can't believe you.
Of the saddle or of my pelvis?
Old 05-19-18, 06:07 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by cthenn

How do the shims work?
I've posted this before.

If you want to just try it out, use double sided gift tape or electrical tape like this. It's kind of ugly.

The rubber sheet was extra mass loaded vinyl soundproofing sheet from an audio project. It comes in a huge roll, and it's not necessary to use the same stuff.

Old 06-04-18, 12:02 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

5.5 hours on the new seat yesterday. The SLR with cutout.

It's not really likely that you can ride that many hours with no soreness but(t) I could ride again today. I will ride tomorrow. Compared to my other saddle, I needed almost a week off after rides and really started hurting after 2 hours. It's my first $200 saddle but based on yesterday, it feels pretty justified.