Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody ride a Lynskey Urbano?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 07:24 PM
pattrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

Just considering a Urbano for an all purpose bike. I tend to be VERY indecisive but have the money set aside and am teetering on ordering a new bike. Looking for something that will take at least 32mm. I Ride the back roads primarily with a few well maintained rail trails thrown in on occasions. I rarely ride in groups and am just looking for a smooth riding do it all bike. I really enjoy my Kona for such duties now but hoping this to be a decent upgrade. Not sure what I will actually do but just interested in others experience with this model. Thanks for any information, so hard to decide on these things when you can not look at or ride these particular bikes. Thanks again for any feedback, I know it may be slim but every bit of little feedback helps.
Old 05-14-18, 12:03 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
I have a 2018 Cooper CX which is the same frame but with different cable routing. I've had it for a bit over 2 months now with 500 or so miles on it. Mine came with the Pro Gravel fork and 700x40 tires.

So far I love it, it's handled smooth/rough pavement, dirt, gravel, grass and mildly rocky trails just fine. My longest ride so far with it has clocked in at 46 miles, and I found it very comfortable for several hours of continuous riding; the riding position feels just right to me. The wider tires let me run lower pressures in the 40 psi range, which soak up bumps very well. The matte finish is just fine, but hard plastic from a trunk mount carrier rack that holds the frame has caused a small smooth spot in the finish on the seat tube. Having gone over some rough stuff at admittedly high speeds, the bike has handled it all with no problems.
Old 05-15-18, 07:15 PM
pattrick

Thanks for the reply.

Just so hard for me to purchase sight unseen with no local or distant shop to back you. Had a shop outside of Pittsburgh that carried high end bikes where I was at least able to view and fondle, rides even if they were not my size. Acquired a nice a nice Tuscany built with hand picked parts that way. Love at first sight was easy, not being able to see leaves me apprehensive. . I will probably end up jumping in. The bike seems like it should work, I just wish I could view one in person. I am looking at over four grand for the build on Adrenaline Bikes. While it wont break me, it is a lot for me to buy and find I really do not care for it much. That is why I am trying to get opinions and feedback. Your ride does look sweet and I do appreciate your response. Thanks again.
Old 05-18-18, 02:10 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My R 260 fits a max width of 32mm. That is plenty wide for most light off-roading but still feels great on asphalt where I do most of my riding.
Old 05-18-18, 02:37 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I want a Lynskey. I want one with an English threaded BB, touring/endurance geometry and mountain bike gearing. But I want drop bars. I am not quite sure which one could be easily configured to my liking. How to get true mountain bike triple gearing with road shifters may be a challenge. I like a lot about the Urbano. I got put on the email list recently and have seen some great sales pop up.
Old 05-18-18, 03:34 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I want a Lynskey. I want one with an English threaded BB, touring/endurance geometry and mountain bike gearing. But I want drop bars. I am not quite sure which one could be easily configured to my liking. How to get true mountain bike triple gearing with road shifters may be a challenge. I like a lot about the Urbano. I got put on the email list recently and have seen some great sales pop up.
You could swap out the 50/34T compact crankset for a SLK BB386EVO modular crankset, which will let you run 46/30 up front and keep the STI 11-speed shifters of a 105 or higher groupset. Not quite mountain bike low for granny gear, but a lot more useful on long, steep climbs on road/gravel.
Old 05-18-18, 08:11 PM
blakcloud

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
There are a few threads on the Urbansky which I believe is similar but I could be wrong. I never really compared the two. If they are close you can have a look here.

https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=3098765
Old 05-19-18, 06:44 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
You could swap out the 50/34T compact crankset for a SLK BB386EVO modular crankset, which will let you run 46/30 up front and keep the STI 11-speed shifters of a 105 or higher groupset. Not quite mountain bike low for granny gear, but a lot more useful on long, steep climbs on road/gravel.
I had considered that, and it would do great for most of the riding I anticipate doing with this exception. The bike is going to be my retirement gift to myself. When I retire I am going to get on the bike and head out west. Mountains age and bad knees dictate true mountain bike gearing. I need to post my questions in the mechanics forum someone will steer me in the right direction. Worst case scenario is I buy an Urbano with flat bar shifters and add drop bar ends for the additional hand positions. I already have a bike set up that way and love it, but on the rare occasions I do paceline riding, it's less than ideal.

For some reason, I really like Lynskey. I prefer them over Litespeed as Lynskey uses threaded bottom brackets in some of their offerings. I am in Chattanooga every now and then. I need to see if they will let me tour the factory!
Old 05-19-18, 07:26 PM
pattrick

Thanks gettingold.

Seriously considered the R260 disc as well as the Urbano. I primarily run on the local back roads which are mediocre at best. I currently find that 32mm tires are the ideal for myself, comforting for cruising the asphalt and fine for the local railtrails which are crushed limestone and or hard packed clay. Just pondering if the ability to go to 42mm with the Urbano would be more beneficial to myself in the future....? Lynskey bills it as a do all performer which is what I am looking for? Although bringing up the R 260 makes me question my decision once again! Oh well sooner or later I will figure it all out.