Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any good reason to choose one chain over another?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any good reason to choose one chain over another?

Old 05-10-18, 03:29 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ontarget
I've used KMC x10.93 and Shimano Ultegra 6701 chains on my Campy Record 10 speed bike, as well as Campy chains. All perform about but same, but the Campy costs more and, in my opinion, isn't worth the exrra cost.
Good data point. Many say they believe Campy chains are fractionally better...but this maybe placebo. I never felt they were better to the point of justifying the higher price tag let alone ridiculous chain tool.
Old 05-10-18, 03:43 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
KMC pretty much makes all the Shimano and SRAM chains, despite the label.
I'd believe that about SRAM, but surely Shimano doesn't need to outsource...?
Old 05-10-18, 03:45 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Many say they believe Campy chains are fractionally better...but this maybe placebo. I never felt they were better to the point of justifying the higher price tag let alone ridiculous chain tool.
And this from a dude called Campag4life, LOL. Too right.

I love how Campy are all like, oh you have to use our special chain tool, and by the way it's $400. Typical
Old 05-10-18, 03:47 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I have a Campy Chorus 10sp setup and was going to replace my chain again. I put the current Campy chain on in Sept, about 3000 miles ago. I've always used Campy chains on this bike. On other bikes I've used Shimano, on my commuter I used a KMC 10sp with XT 10. All seem to work. To replace my current road chain is there any reason to consider anything other than Record? I see KMC has a "DLC" chain with a diamond like coating. They are expensive, even compared to Campy. Has anyone tried them and are they any better than Campy? Any reason to switch?
Im sure chains are in fact different enough to make a difference, in either shift quality or longevity, but coming across reliable information is near impossible. Possibly, more expansive chains are to some extent better, but my feeling is you are better of, just getting one of the cheaper ones, in what ever speed you need, and replace a bit more frequently, rather than getting some expensive stuff and try to make i last "forever". YMMV and all that .. :-)
Old 05-10-18, 04:34 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm currently using an FSA Team chain, which has been my favorite of the various ones I've tried. It's very quiet and smooth - and pretty light as well. I've never used Campy chains.
Old 05-10-18, 04:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Ontarget
I've used KMC x10.93 and Shimano Ultegra 6701 chains on my Campy Record 10 speed bike, as well as Campy chains. All perform about but same, but the Campy costs more and, in my opinion, isn't worth the exrra cost.
Is this the chain being suggested? Does it come with a MissingLink? https://store.kmcchain.us/p/x10-93
Good data point. Many say they believe Campy chains are fractionally better...but this maybe placebo. I never felt they were better to the point of justifying the higher price tag let alone ridiculous chain tool.
Data point?
Looks like the KMC chain + ML together is $42. A campy veloce chain is about the same. A record 10s chain about $50. For something that lasts a couple K miles or so, these differences are pretty minor IMO.
Old 05-10-18, 05:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Im sure chains are in fact different enough to make a difference, in either shift quality or longevity, but coming across reliable information is near impossible. Possibly, more expansive chains are to some extent better, but my feeling is you are better of, just getting one of the cheaper ones, in what ever speed you need, and replace a bit more frequently, rather than getting some expensive stuff and try to make i last "forever". YMMV and all that .. :-)
I suppose the linked article here is one of those sources of info.. how much is proven and how much is opinion?
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/chai...bility-article
That said, if there's something that the manufacturers do to optimize their chains to their own drivetrains, I'm curious how KMC magically can optimize their chain to somehow work with any brand of drivetrain?
Old 05-10-18, 05:17 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Is this the chain being suggested? Does it come with a MissingLink? https://store.kmcchain.us/p/x10-93

Data point?
Looks like the KMC chain + ML together is $42. A campy veloce chain is about the same. A record 10s chain about $50. For something that lasts a couple K miles or so, these differences are pretty minor IMO.
OK...here is my lowest price for KMC 11s chain + Missing link. $28 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KMC-X11EL-S...5.c10#viTabs_0

Now it your turn to post a link of the lowest cost for 'any' Campy chain so we can compare costs. There is no false economy to purchasing a KMC chain versus Campy chain. KMC for value beats Campy.
Old 05-10-18, 05:20 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I suppose the linked article here is one of those sources of info.. how much is proven and how much is opinion?
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/chai...bility-article
That said, if there's something that the manufacturers do to optimize their chains to their own drivetrains, I'm curious how KMC magically can optimize their chain to somehow work with any brand of drivetrain?
What do you think KMC does? They don't make drivelines. They make chains to work effectively on name brand drivelines. What they do and are very effective at it.
Old 05-10-18, 05:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

What do you think KMC does? They don't make drivelines. They make chains to work effectively on name brand drivelines. What they do and are very effective at it.
​​​​​​What I question is their ability to make a jack of all trades that doesn't offer a compromise for one or another brand of drivetrain. For example, if, as the article states, SRAM and Shimano chains are not cross-compatible, it seems a logical presumption is that if a generic/KMC chain is made to work with both, it would be less optimal for both.
Old 05-10-18, 05:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

OK...here is my lowest price for KMC 11s chain + Missing link. $28 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KMC-X11EL-S...5.c10#viTabs_0

Now it your turn to post a link of the lowest cost for 'any' Campy chain so we can compare costs. There is no false economy to purchasing a KMC chain versus Campy chain. KMC for value beats Campy.
Ok, so now you've posted a "data point". For Chorus 11s they can typically be found for about $40. Again, $12 isn't something I'd worry about.. If a chain lasts about 2500 miles (probably more), each 50 mile ride will cost me $.24
Old 05-10-18, 05:50 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Ok, so now you've posted a "data point". For Chorus 11s they can typically be found for about $40. Again, $12 isn't something I'd worry about.. If a chain lasts about 2500 miles (probably more), each 50 mile ride will cost me $.24
Can you post a link to a Campy Chorus 11s chain for $40?
Old 05-10-18, 05:56 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
​​​​​​What I question is their ability to make a jack of all trades that doesn't offer a compromise for one or another brand of drivetrain. For example, if, as the article states, SRAM and Shimano chains are not cross-compatible, it seems a logical presumption is that if a generic/KMC chain is made to work with both, it would be less optimal for both.
I believe your presumption is a false conclusion. I come from the world of product development. Just because Campy makes a chain for Campy doesn't mean that a KMC chain designed for all three large groupset manufacturers may work best on 'all' of them. So your thinking is flawed.

For example. Sram chains are generally regarded as less robust compared to KMC, Shimano or Campy chains. Whether true or not. It is quite possible that 'any other chain' other than Sram may work best on Sram drivelines. Also, just because 'an article' states something as fact, doesn't mean its true.

This is even within brands in terms of cross capability. Campy is notorious for not wanting to mix different groupset models when in actual fact, cross compatibility tends to be quite high...mixing Ultrashift with Powershift for example.
Old 05-10-18, 06:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Can you post a link to a Campy Chorus 11s chain for $40?
https://www.modernbike.com/campagnol...11-speed-chain
https://www.merlincycles.com/campagn...eed-44925.html

potenza for 11s at $38. Excel has the chorus as well but at $42
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=1&minor=11

For example. Sram chains are generally regarded as less robust compared to KMC, Shimano or Campy chains. Whether true or not. It is quite possible that 'any other chain' other than Sram may work best on Sram drivelines. Also, just because 'an article' states something as fact, doesn't mean its true.
This might well be a good case in point. I've seen the recent posts here on BF about chain durability.. the one I'm thinking of was conducted or paid for by Wipperman (link here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...st-2018-a.html )which is referring in turn to this test result: https://www.connexchain.com/fileadmin...ments-2018.pdf
Yet their test methodology never addresses what brand of drivetrain they tested all of the chains on (nor did they indicate whether a fresh drivetrain was installed periodically so that some chains weren't being evaluated from running a more worn cassette and chainrings.

Until an independent study is conducted where each brand's chain is tested on each brand's drivetrain, and then cross-tested, we're all speculating in this discussion. Though not unreasonable to make the safe bet that same brand chain/drivetrain should not be sub-optimal.
Old 05-10-18, 06:26 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Ok, you've all proven the point. There is no good reason to buy one chain over another, just unprovable claims that one may be fractionally better than another. We should just spend what we want to spend.

I bought a KMC K10SL for my commuter for $25. I'll buy a campy record for my roadie when I'm ready.
Old 05-10-18, 06:27 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I'd believe that about SRAM, but surely Shimano doesn't need to outsource...?
It is pretty widely known in the industry:

"KMC have been making chains for many years and now produce over 80 million a year for a wide range of companies, including Shimano.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...d-chain-10810/

A quick google will produce more hits for that.
Old 05-10-18, 07:08 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by rgconner
It is pretty widely known in the industry:

"KMC have been making chains for many years and now produce over 80 million a year for a wide range of companies, including Shimano.
I wonder if that's all Shimano's chains, or just the cheap ones...
Old 05-10-18, 12:44 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I wonder if that's all Shimano's chains, or just the cheap ones...
All the new 11s(and at least some of the 10s) chains are no longer made by KMC, they are made in japan which is stated right on the box, whereas KMC is based out of Taiwan.
Old 05-10-18, 03:28 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
All the new 11s(and at least some of the 10s) chains are no longer made by KMC, they are made in japan which is stated right on the box, whereas KMC is based out of Taiwan.
I would expect that to be true.

You would want to keep the high end premium stuff with a high margin in house, and let someone else make the low margin stuff for you.
Old 05-10-18, 07:51 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Always used SRAM until Shimano released their own quicklink LOL
Old 05-12-18, 05:39 PM
zacster

Well my X10SL chain arrived today, except that it wasn't an X10SL. The box said Z7, and the plates were stamped with a Z. This isn't the first time I was shipped the wrong item from Amazon. Back it goes, and hopefully the reshipped item is the correct one.
Old 05-20-18, 09:25 PM
zacster

FWIW, an update. My X10SL chain did arrive again. I also ordered and received a Campy Record 10s ultra-narrow chain for my road bike so now I have 2 chains, one for each bike. On top of all that I ordered a new pair of hoods for my road levers. I had put new hoods on a few months ago, but they weren't quite the right ones. When riding the trainer it was OK, but when I started riding outdoors again the shifting was sloppy, hence the thought of a new chain. But now that I have the new hoods the shifting is precise again. But since I also started counting all the miles on RidewithGPS, I know that I'm also due for a new chain anyway, so I just need to find some time to clean everything before I put new chains on both my bikes.