Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ever bought a defective inner tube?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ever bought a defective inner tube?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 09:37 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard8655
Yes, I bought a few inner tubes at my LBS not long ago. After a few rides, the tire began making noises while on a ride and I noticed a bulge in one spot. Got home, took apart the tire, and saw a section of the inner tube rubber was weak and bulging. This was a Specialized inner tube, no less.

After reading reviews, I'm only buying Schwalbe inner tubes now for the quality. Never a problem, with the added bonus of holding pressure better and longer with less frequent need to bring up to level.
Again if you think about the purpose of an inner tube. It is to seal the interface between the tire and the rim. It is not designed to hold any pressure. If it develops a bulge it is not being supported by the tire---If the tire is bulging it is NOT the problem with the tube . It is either an imporperly installed tire or a bad tire----It cannot be the fault of the tube.
Old 05-14-18, 09:49 AM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
... I've had presta stems pull out of tubes too. I don't think it was the tubes' fault. I think it was my hose end on the pump that took too much effort to put it on and way too much effort to pull it off. The latching mechanism on it didn't work correctly and I put up with it for years not realizing the slowly increasing effort in putting on and off until I started pulling out the stems as well. After replacing the hose and hose end, I realize how much unnecessary force I was actually subjecting the stems to as I pulled the hose off. The nut on the stem does prevent you from harming the tube/stem juncture when putting it on. So I do leave my nuts on the stem. I can see where overtightening them might be an issue for any that have threads cut all the way down them below the rim surface. Maybe your experience is completely unrelated, but consider if it's possibly happening. As I said, I didn't realize till too late the hose end was too hard to remove compared to what it should be.
Yeah, excellent point. This might be what's happening for me, too. If I remember correctly, even *after* I stopped over-tightening the locknut against the rim, I got at least one valve seat failure (maybe two), so it might be because of the force needed to remove the tire pump chuck from the valve that is causing abrasion of the valve seat. I'm going to pay attention to it over the next week and see what the level of force is.

Thanks for posting.
Old 05-14-18, 08:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I've forgotten a lot of things since 2011 -- why were tubes about to start getting a lot more expensive back then?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-16-18, 10:27 AM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
... After replacing the hose and hose end, I realize how much unnecessary force I was actually subjecting the stems to as I pulled the hose off. ...
Thanks for the tip! Yep. I filled my tires yesterday and, sure enough, I was using a lot of force to remove the chuck from the valve. Over time, no doubt, that can cause wear and tear on the valve seat.

So, now, here's another question: Is there a product one can install that will cover the sharp edges of the valve hole in the rim?
Old 05-16-18, 11:15 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I don't see much utility in the premise behind the initial question. In order to save a significant amount one would have to purchase a lot of tubes and use them over an extended period of time. The savings would increment with inflation, so would not be much at first. By the time one experiences significant per-tube savings due to inflation there would not be a lot of tubes remaining. In addition inflation makes those future dollars saved worth less.
Old 05-20-18, 03:55 PM
Richard8655

Bikes: 2007 & 2008 Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
Again if you think about the purpose of an inner tube. It is to seal the interface between the tire and the rim. It is not designed to hold any pressure. If it develops a bulge it is not being supported by the tire---If the tire is bulging it is NOT the problem with the tube . It is either an imporperly installed tire or a bad tire----It cannot be the fault of the tube.
Disagree. After changing to a non-defective tube of a different brand mounted on the same tire, no bulge whatsoever. In both cases the tubes were mounted correctly. A defective bulging tube can press on the inner casing of the tire, causing the tire itself to exhibit a slight bulge in reponse, which can be felt and heard during cycling.
Old 05-21-18, 12:12 AM
Rick Imby

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard8655

Disagree. After changing to a non-defective tube of a different brand mounted on the same tire, no bulge whatsoever. In both cases the tu mounted correctly. A defective bulging tube can press on the inner casing of the tire, causing the tire itself to exhibit a slight bulge in reponse, which can be felt and heard during cycling.
If the tube is overblown and keeps the tire from seating properly that is still the fault of the installer. A properly seated tire will not be effected by a bulge in the tube. Any tube that has significant pressure put into it without being installed in a tire/rim will form a big bulge. I have installed thousands of tubes, many of them with bulges and the only time there is a problem is if the installer...
Old 05-22-18, 07:24 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
2010 we had a huge problem with Specialized road tubes. They split at the mold marks all the time. Out of 1000 tubes, we sent back at least 100 of them. Yes, it is possible to get a batch of defective tubes.
Old 05-22-18, 08:26 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
It's always a good to have extra tubes on hand.
I 'll keep up to six, "per tire size", "in stock", at home, at all times.
Find a brand that you have had good results with and store the "back-ups" like Tom says:
(I'd also add "dark" to the list!)
It might take 4 or 5 seasons (depending on the amount/conditions you are riding in
(+ patching - nothing wrong with a patched tube!)) to cycle through your inventory.
I've never had a problem with "stored" inner tubes deteriorating.
Old 05-23-18, 10:21 AM
Richard8655

Bikes: 2007 & 2008 Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
If the tube is overblown and keeps the tire from seating properly that is still the fault of the installer. A properly seated tire will not be effected by a bulge in the tube. Any tube that has significant pressure put into it without being installed in a tire/rim will form a big bulge. I have installed thousands of tubes, many of them with bulges and the only time there is a problem is if the installer...
Well, that’s your opinion which in my case I don’t share as my experience did not reflect that.
Old 05-23-18, 11:18 AM
Mickey2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At the local repair shop I used to go to they stopped taking in a particular low priced brand, I can't remember the name unfortunately. More than one box and batch of tubes were faulty, not every single tube, but in the long run it became obvious. When switching to Schwalbe and Continental it was solved right a way. I keep a spare tube or two at home, but I generally don't stock up. I went back to patching tubes a few years a go, after several years of just replacing tubes. I pay way more than $3 these days, unless I'm lucky and come across a bargain.