Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

11-speed chain for 1x10 setup?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

11-speed chain for 1x10 setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 02:12 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Null

Null

Last edited by Kabuto; 11-02-18 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-21-17, 03:25 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
You could try, but I'd be skeptical of it working. How is the chain going to rub in the bottom gear? Or do you mean the next-to-bottom gear? If it's that dialing out the b tension can be helpful.
Old 12-21-17, 04:44 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sounds like you need longer chainstays.
Old 12-21-17, 06:15 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I'm not familiar with 10- and 11-speed chains, but if the spacing between the plates of the two types of chain are the same then you could try your idea. But that would mean the 11-speed chain has thinner plates, which doesn't make sense to me. If the 11-speed is narrower because the spacing is less, then it won't fit on the teeth of your cogs and chainring.

Short chainstays are a feature of folding bikes, and as xenologer pointed out ^^ this can be a complication with wider cassettes. You may have to rely on optimal derailleur adjustment and lubrication to minimize the noise.

I have two Dahons and a Tern, but they all have internally-geared hubs, which side-steps this problem entirely!
Steve
Old 12-21-17, 07:20 AM
IrishBrewer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
11 speed chains do have thinner plates and that's how they make the overall outside width narrower while keeping the inner spacing the same as for 10 speed chains. I've heard recommendations to use a 11 speed chain for a 10 speed setup because the tolerances for 11 speed chains are tighter out of necessity. So, it's worth a try.
Old 12-21-17, 11:28 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
I'm currently running a 1x10 setup with a 10-speed chain on a Dahon Speed folding bike.

This setup is causing a lot of chain noise in top and (especially) bottom gear, I think, because of the very angled chain line in those gears causing the chain to slightly rub against the adjacent sprockets. I've tried cleaning and lubing the chain, and tweaking the RD adjustments, which gave some improvement, but it could be better.

Would swapping the chain out for slightly narrower 11-speed chain help much, if any?
Going one size narrower with chains usually works fine (wrote here about chain compatibility on my site).
You'll get just under 0,2 mm clearance on each side. Might be enough to make the difference - might not.

Are you sure the rubbing is what causes the noise? Could be just the chain angle - the more crossed it is, the more noise it makes. Thicker lube can help with it up to a point (with more dust and dirt "collection").
Old 12-22-17, 01:46 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
https://www.acycles.co.uk/media/cata...ge_2_33027.jpg

note how the derailleur is mounted to the bike... They get bent very easily on these folding bikes.

Have the der. checked for straightness to the frame.... a twisted/bent Der. mount will cause all sorts of chain/cassette noise.... changing chain width a few thousandths of an inch will not solve the issue.

once the derailleur is true to the frame, readjusting the cable will get things running correctly.

Avoid laying the bike down on the right side... ALWAYS lay it down on the left side... this will help you to not re-bend the derailleur mount. Crashes often bend the der. mounts, too....

Last edited by maddog34; 12-22-17 at 01:49 PM.