Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

How much better is a nice bike for racing?

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

How much better is a nice bike for racing?

Old 02-13-18, 01:53 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Sportives/events are not races. Even though a "race" usually always happens during the sportive.

Anyhow......I'm going to be picking up a cx bike for my birthday come May. I'm tired of not having a bike to do gravel with, and would like to try to race given the fitness from roadie season.

From what I'm hearing, the discs would be worth it. I'm in about the $1000 +/- change range for a used one.

So, the relevant question to this thread is.........how would you allocate that $1000?

-Would you give up discs to be able to have Ultegra 1x (or Sram equivalent)?
-Are discs important enough that you'd even go down to below 105 even if it's just for mechanical discs?
-If you go down to cantis from discs.......is 1x11 even worth it over a 1x10 bike that's carbon instead of alum? In other words......is the 2 year old aluminum 11spd canti bike better than the 4 year old carbon 10spd canti bike?

This is kind of where I am. I've been looking at used alloy 105 Crocketts, TCX's, etc... all with cantis. You can get a 105 Haanjo with discs in that price range. But the top tube slopes.

Mind you, I'd probably also use this bike for a few non-USAC endurance gravel events that award places or are just for "finishing".
race cross or gravel events? $1000 should get you an alloy 105 mechanic disc cross bike. Mechanical vs hydro for cross doesn't matter as much as hand fatigue is less of a factor. 1x or 2x is personal choice, you can convert to 1x with a N/W chainring for $50 and a chainkeeper.
Old 02-13-18, 02:11 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Races would be cx, participation events would be gravel.

There's a pretty active cross season in NC it appears. But there's also stuff like the Umstead gravel grinder I'd like to try. That's 100 miles of gravel and some pretty challenging total elevation.

So, fatigue would matter on the gravel stuff given I'd be out there for 6-8 hours.

I'd want some out of roadie season training rides to be in the 3-4 hour range on the gravel in Umstead.
Old 04-18-18, 03:28 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffOYB
Lastly, is a bike that really helps boost our racing also fun for JRA?

???
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I think about this topic a lot. Carbon Fiber vs Aluminum frames.
I just did the upgrade from good aluminum (ultegra) bike to top shelf CX bike.

I'm finding a 10% improvement on hill climbing and a short tight 60 second course. cruising around town at 200 watts, it probably doesn't make much difference, but hitting it hard with 500-1000 watts, the good bike really accelerates hard. Its April and still snowing, I'm not in top shape, and I'm getting personal records on my test segments.

I don't know what difference that will make in a race - but the ability to carry speed through very tight turns, to accelerate out of turns and to punch up a hill are very different in this bike. Its all in the frame.

As for Just Riding Around - the bike is a ball. Fits larger tires, very maneuverable and just loves to play. Compared to my old Aluminum bike - its mostly the acceleration that makes a difference.

For long distance, I don't know that my average speed is higher on a more casual ride, but I do find that I can do long 100km rides and not be quite as worn out at the end.