Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Raise your hand if you have been hit by a BUS. Anyone?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 12:27 PM
clubber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

So I'm on the way home from my little 20 miler late yesterday afternoon around 3:30 PM.

I live in Northern Virginia and ride the W and OD trail pretty much every day when I was approaching Ferndale Ave in Herndon for those of you that are familiar with that area between the Herndon GC and Herdon Rec Center.

Traffic was stopped both ways and as always I was looking up from at least 20-30 yards to make eye contact with both the bus drive to the left and the car on the right. Both had come to a complete stop and as always I raise a hand and or nod to both drivers.

I was doing about 15 mile per hour when I entered the intersection and got t-boned (slammed to the ground) by the bus. I never spoke to the bus driver when people got out of the vehicles at the intersection and started towards me to make sure I wasn't dead (well...making sure I was not hurt too bad). I peeled myself off the ground and shook my head like a wet dog to clear the cobwebs. The lady from the first car on the right when the bus hit me kept sayin "I saw you look @ the bus and wave and then you waved to me." One of the drivers dialed 911 and 10min later no fewer that 14 police (BOTH Herndon and Fairfax County) and fire and rescue people arrived @ the scene.

I was just a bit scuffed up on my right shoulder, hip, knee and had a cut on my left ankle (the side the bus hit me on AND the leg I have 3 plates in from my knee and ankle fusion surgeries.)

So I will have a hell of a story to tell my grand-kids (or someone else's) what its like to get hit by a bus.
Old 01-27-18, 01:11 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
I'm just a little Nutty.
Never been hit by a bus.
But I got to tap on this one.

Just a comment from the peanut gallery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00768 (2).jpg (559.1 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-27-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 01:19 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 95 Posts
I ran into the back of a bus once. I had a totally clumsy moment, what can I say?
Old 01-27-18, 01:36 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I was standing too close to the curb as a bus was pulling away and the mirror hit me in the head. Hurt like heck.
Old 01-27-18, 01:39 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by clubber
Glad to hear you're OK. But what about the bike? Seriously. And if it was damaged at all...and if there was a police report...you should receive money from the bus insurance company.

Years ago I was involved in a bike-into-car collision. The driver made a RIGHT turn directly in front of me, no turn signals, and I had no time to react. I hit the front fender, flew over the hood, and bumped my helmeted head on the ground. An ambulance was called for this incident also...but there was no need and I refused transport to the ER. One brake lever was bent, and the front wheel was in the shape of a taco. There was a cop a few cars back that witnessed it. So naturally the driver was sited. I had to provide my contact info for the police report. A couple months later, unexpectedly, I received a check in the mail from the driver's insurance company to cover the damage to my bike.

There was also a time when I was run off the road by one of those tourist sightseeing trains in St. Augustine, FL. It was 5 or 6 cars long. The driver had passed me, and apparently forgot I was still within the length of his little train when he began to pull to the side of the road. I was literally shoulder-to-shoulder with the sightseers on the bus-train as it forced me into a curb that was too tall to bunnyhop. It forced me to have to ditch. Fortunately there was a nice lush strip of zoysia grass that I could tumble onto. No injury, no damage to the bike.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-27-18 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 01:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
I hope the police took detailed statements from the witnesses, the bus driver and you. I'm curious about what the bu driver had to say.

In any case, while I'm a believer in eye contact, it can't be relied on. What eye contact does is prove that the other guy can see you, but doesn't prove he actually does, or that you register, or that he correctly reads your intention. Again eye contact only confirm that you might be seen, no more and no less.

I'm also a bit curious about when you first registered that you had a problem. A bus coming off the line doesn't accelerate all that quickly, so I gather that once you decided it was OK, you took your eye off the bus, and didn't see it begin to move.

This isn't to say you were in any way at fault, just a reminder that it's easy to believe you're safer than you actually are.

One of my personal rules is that not only do I ride so cars won't hit me. To the extent it's possible, I ride so they couldn't hit me if they tried.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-27-18, 02:02 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Is it a 4-way stop?
Old 01-27-18, 02:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rolling Coal like assault by a bumper level Diesel Amtrak Bus Exhaust , in Eugene, decades ago.
Old 01-27-18, 02:35 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,180 Posts
Had a NYC MTA bus pull away from a curb once, I was right alongside, got sent to the pavement (1991 ?). I wasn't hurt, had damage to the rear wheel, the driver only stated she hadn't seen me (hadn't looked is more like it).

I recall contacting a NYC lawyer that advertised in Bicycling magazine, he said he'd send the paperwork to sue for $2 million. I scoffed, never sued, then sent a claim to the city, it took 6 mos. and countless letters to get $250 for the wheel. The lawyer was correct that if you don't sue for big bucks, you don't get their attention and they just ignore you.
Old 01-27-18, 03:14 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I've never been hit by a bus while riding a bike, but once I fell out of an airplane, got hit by another airplane on the way down, landed on fresh wet asphalt, was run over by a steamroller, then a marching band went over me while playing 76 Trombones. I ain't worried about no bus!
Old 01-27-18, 03:28 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I had a bus driver intentionally bump my rear tire - twice. Was back in the early 70s, I was riding my bike to high school with a classmate. We were in a left turn only lane, stopped, waiting for the green left turn arrow. An Orange County transit bus pulled up behind us, then creeped forward and bumped me. I moved forward and then he did it again. I moved to the right, he pulled up along side opened the door and said "get off the road, kid". I don't remember what I said.

Got home that afternoon, told my parents, they were on the phone to the transit district and we never saw that driver again.
Old 01-27-18, 03:43 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Heavy traffic on Broadway at 27th. I'm splitting between the cars parked at the curb and the lane of cars waiting for the light. Distracted by a beautiful woman walking through the mini plaza, I peeled down the side of a bus, tearing my glove, handlebar tape and jacket. She never noticed me but the bus driver did. Women are dangerous.

-Kedosto
Old 01-27-18, 03:46 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Yes but,how is the bicycle?

Glad you are reasonably O.K..
Old 01-27-18, 03:54 PM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
would be more fun of a story if you got ran down by this glad ur okay
Old 01-27-18, 04:48 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I' ve been missed by a couple city busses, but only because I got out of his way! They really tried, both times on a bridge, the same bridge, as they attempted to pass me so they could turn right!
Old 01-27-18, 08:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
thats a close call. Get that report and press on it.

I've ran over a bus... The CAT5 & bike were left unharmed. I may have suffered temp emotional distress.
Old 01-27-18, 08:31 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by clubber
Traffic was stopped both ways and as always I was looking up from at least 20-30 yards to make eye contact with both the bus drive to the left and the car on the right. Both had come to a complete stop and as always I raise a hand and or nod to both drivers.
I don't understand what raising a hand and nodding means.

Why do you do this?

-Tim-
Old 01-27-18, 08:49 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
When it comes to buses, I adopt the same good advice that Richard Strauss included in his Ten Golden Rules (to new conductors):

Never look at the Trombones, you'll only encourage them.
Old 01-27-18, 09:26 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I've never been hit by a bus while riding a bike, but once I fell out of an airplane, got hit by another airplane on the way down, landed on fresh wet asphalt, was run over by a steamroller, then a marching band went over me while playing 76 Trombones. I ain't worried about no bus!
You're Wile E. Coyote

Dan
Old 01-27-18, 09:40 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't understand what raising a hand and nodding means.

-Tim-
Good question.

Hate to say it, that hand signal may have been misinterpreted as, go ahead, I'll wait.

To answer the original question, not hit, but far too many close calls, some of them were avoidable, like this one, but not this one.
Old 01-27-18, 09:56 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved to A+S.
Old 01-28-18, 01:09 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I suspect that most of the folks who have been hit by buses can no longer respond.

The closest I have had was a bus that overtook me at about 30 mph and then abruptly slammed on his brakes and attempted to "curb" me. He was unsuccessful, fortunately.
Old 01-28-18, 01:02 PM
RunForTheHills

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimincalif
I had a bus driver intentionally bump my rear tire - twice. Was back in the early 70s, I was riding my bike to high school with a classmate. We were in a left turn only lane, stopped, waiting for the green left turn arrow. An Orange County transit bus pulled up behind us, then creeped forward and bumped me. I moved forward and then he did it again. I moved to the right, he pulled up along side opened the door and said "get off the road, kid". I don't remember what I said.

Got home that afternoon, told my parents, they were on the phone to the transit district and we never saw that driver again.
That is interesting. I had a bus driver in Orange County intentionally hit me with his mirror around that time frame (mid-70s). I would have been around 12-13 years old at the time and my family used to do weekend rides with the Orange County Wheelmen.
Old 01-28-18, 02:47 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by RunForTheHills
That is interesting. I had a bus driver in Orange County intentionally hit me with his mirror around that time frame (mid-70s). I would have been around 12-13 years old at the time and my family used to do weekend rides with the Orange County Wheelmen.
Wow, interesting indeed. I think it was during the 73-74 school year, I was 15.
Old 01-28-18, 03:38 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I suspect that most of the folks who have been hit by buses can no longer respond.

The closest I have had was a bus that overtook me at about 30 mph and then abruptly slammed on his brakes and attempted to "curb" me. He was unsuccessful, fortunately.
I posted two days ago to the current thread about a cycling fatality in Boston from a right turning truck:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I have posted a few times about how I register such disasters, and others, in my head to keep myself safe:
…Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms, collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least [include]:…
  • Truck [or bus] at corner in sight, don't go right (from a few local fatalities)
... In fact, I must confess that soon after that accident, but perhaps without a fully formed aphorism in my mind, I attempted a similar maneuver in front of an upcoming bus, knowing it was there. Indeed the bus did turn right, but I stopped short and was safe. I think my aphorism was incubating in my mind, and it became fully entrenched since that incident happened directly to me.

It is still very firm in my memory, because on that unforgettable ride I was showing a (well-known) fellow BF subscriber around town, Fortunately he was well behind me and did not follow my lead, and likely did not see it, or at least did not mention it to me.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Did he bid you adieu, and that was the last you ever saw of him?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-28-18 at 03:51 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.