Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Asama Tandems

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Asama Tandems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 07:46 AM
bikebasket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asama Tandems

Here in a bike shop in Cambodia they have several of these frames piled underneath a mountain of other frames.

At first i dismissed the idea of touring on them as the frames just looked too narrow, and possibly very low.

But on seing a photo of a complete bike i thought i'd throw the idea out of touring on them out to you people as i've never even ridden on a tandem before.

Probably wishful thinking, but could you turn one of those into a touring tandem?
Japanese built i believe.

(i'm 6ft, girlfriend 4.9ft)

Last edited by bikebasket; 04-05-18 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-05-18, 08:20 AM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
1. the front of the tandem is as low as the rear. Your stoker will have no problems. But if you are 6 feet tall, you may have a lot of issues. First is you will need a VERY long seat post since the seat tube is ridiculously short in front. This likely means the reach to the handlebars is too short as well. So you will likely also need a very long stem and possibly a very steep angle on it, to get the right fit for you.

2. The timing chain has an idler pulley. This is indicative of very low end tandems. You will likely snap it off or have problems. A touring tandem should instead have an Eccentric bottom bracket in the front. It is unclear whether that frame could be fitted with an eccentric.

3. If you are only starting with a frame, then you have a lot of work ahead of you. It might be better to start with something a bit better. Or even a used tandem that has the above issues already sorted out.
Old 04-05-18, 08:35 AM
bikebasket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah cheers that's what i initially thought.

It's an about town tourist jobbie.

I think these might have been all over Cambodia at some point.
Old 04-07-18, 08:28 AM
lichtgrau

Bikes: (Ti) Rabbit "soulmate" plus half a dozen "half bikes"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I agree to what was said about the frame: Would not be my favorite too - unless having it for some fun-tours to the local coffee shop...
Equipping this frame with an eccentric bottom bracketV LP would mean to cut and weld to such a degree, that it would become (at least economically) senseless. Stiffness to weight ratio does not look to be breathtaking either ;-)

Since you also asked -in another thread- about shipping a tandem to Asia another idea came to my mind: Last year we ordered just a frame and built or own tandem around it ourselves. I still remember that astonishingly small box that frame was shipped in to our home. In the first moment it was even hard to believe that this less than 10 pound box should be our new frame. And if you invest in a frame with S&S couplers, the box wouldn't be even distinguishable from a normal post box...

Couldn't be this a possible solution for you? Even in Cambodia you should be able to get some good quality solid Shimano-stuff, some decent wheels etc. plus a mechanic if you don't want to assemble the bike yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1082-876x584.JPG (97.9 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by lichtgrau; 04-07-18 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-08-18, 01:47 AM
bikebasket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lichtgrau
I agree to what was said about the frame: Would not be my favorite too - unless having it for some fun-tours to the local coffee shop...
Equipping this frame with an eccentric bottom bracketV LP would mean to cut and weld to such a degree, that it would become (at least economically) senseless. Stiffness to weight ratio does not look to be breathtaking either ;-)

Since you also asked -in another thread- about shipping a tandem to Asia another idea came to my mind: Last year we ordered just a frame and built or own tandem around it ourselves. I still remember that astonishingly small box that frame was shipped in to our home. In the first moment it was even hard to believe that this less than 10 pound box should be our new frame. And if you invest in a frame with S&S couplers, the box wouldn't be even distinguishable from a normal post box...

Couldn't be this a possible solution for you? Even in Cambodia you should be able to get some good quality solid Shimano-stuff, some decent wheels etc. plus a mechanic if you don't want to assemble the bike yourself.
Yeah thanks for the help. That's something i also considered. Been interested in this Thorn Voyager frame in the UK ;

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/m...ellow/?geoc=JP

Medium, small though? Not sure they'll fit my 6ft frame?

Tried searching elsewhere on the web for tandem frames but not alot showing up.