Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Twice the power, love it vs She’s not pedaling

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 04-08-18, 03:20 PM
wtandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

We got our favorite comment in a long time from a rider today, “twice the power, love it”, when of course, like many of you we usually get “she’s not pedaling”. Any other nice positive comments out there that we can promote? Nice come backs to the almost universally nice intentioned cars and riders, with “she’s not pedaling”? I usually say something like “she’s doing most of the pedaling”, because she is, but I do not think it is very good at changing behavior. Although a guy and his wife in a car did slow up to tell us they new she was the power after the initial discussion. I am in a campaign to change the “she’s not pedaling”, before my wife knocks down the next rider to say it (well she’s really to nice to do that, but when she is really gassed she might come close).
Old 04-08-18, 03:27 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
"She's not pedalling!"

"It doesn't matter - her pedals are just for show - they aren't even hooked up."
Old 04-10-18, 02:03 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We've received that and similar comments while riding our tandem. Most times as we are passing riders. Some might even say she is lucky because I am carrying the load. I reply with, "she does this same pace on her single bike!" with a little smile because she does.

So it's nice when we encounter those riders again and she's on her single passing them!
Old 04-10-18, 08:19 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Once, in response to a "she's not pedaling", I replied "That's OK, she's great in bed".

For that I received a beating. I guess I deserved it. But it was still funny.
Old 04-11-18, 08:26 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
We were once heckled by another rider in a race "You don't have enough wheels." We mostly shrugged it off, but it was the third tandem-bashing comment from the rider. Karma was strong that day, however. The single-bike rider trashed a wheel later in the race from a flat tire. Now who has enough wheels?
Old 04-13-18, 11:50 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Funny, no one ever says anything like that when I roll around with my granddaughters, and I often call for "girl power" as I take my feet off the pedals and make them power us. I guess it's okay to disrespect women, but not little girls.

Actually, I think people really want to say something nice and witty, but just can't think of anything in the short time available during a typical bike encounter. When we get the "not pedaling comment, usually directed at the stoker (me, the male), we just chuckle and I tell them to shush so she won't find out. If their intent is positive, I refuse to read negativity into it even when their words reveal something that could be interpreted thus. It's probably harder for women, who get hit with this disrespect constantly, to let it go.
Old 04-14-18, 06:20 AM
mikebian 

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Tandem, Ventana ECdM Tandem, Kent Eriksen Custom Coupled Tandem, Meridian Coupled Triplet, Canondale MTB Tandem, Landshark Tandem, Giant TCR, SantaCruz Blur LTb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
We got a new one yesterday. While pedaling up hill past a cyclist just finishing his ride, he said “I see you have a turbo!” Stoker loved that one!