Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

I love ice cold beer

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

I love ice cold beer

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 03:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Besides implying that Michelob Ultra has any flavor at all?

While I enjoy a good local IPA or stout with plenty of wallop, I usually prefer ice cold generic stuff to wash down Mexican food, pizza or BBQ. It only needs to be cold and refreshing, like club soda. I usually drink something cheap like Lone Star, Hamm's, Busch or Milwaukee's Best when eating spicy foods. I'll save the better beers for later to savor slowly.

As long as it's not sweet it's okay by me. I've lost my taste for sugary pop and sweet drinks. Occasionally I'll put a little sugar in iced tea if it's not good iced tea. Needs a little something to balance out the bitterness. But if it's good iced tea I'll drink it unsweetened.
Old 04-14-18, 06:56 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Freezer cold mug, cold Coor's NA poured into mug and frosted up = wonderful following my 106 miles today.
Old 04-15-18, 12:24 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Besides implying that Michelob Ultra has any flavor at all?

While I enjoy a good local IPA or stout with plenty of wallop, I usually prefer ice cold generic stuff to wash down Mexican food, pizza or BBQ. It only needs to be cold and refreshing, like club soda. I usually drink something cheap like Lone Star, Hamm's, Busch or Milwaukee's Best when eating spicy foods. I'll save the better beers for later to savor slowly.

As long as it's not sweet it's okay by me. I've lost my taste for sugary pop and sweet drinks. Occasionally I'll put a little sugar in iced tea if it's not good iced tea. Needs a little something to balance out the bitterness. But if it's good iced tea I'll drink it unsweetened.
Actually I was speaking about advertising. In this case, its use of health and fitness as a backdrop for drinking beer. A Gatorade commercials would fit. Even a Red Bull commercial I could see the connection. But beer? Just how far can we stretch this?
Old 04-15-18, 09:36 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
After a 2 hour ride is when an icy-cold flight of IPA tastes best...

I've done a little research on it... dehydration is the key thing to avoid so it's suggested to keep up the water-intake. Also, up to ~22 ounces of beer right after a ride won't do you any harm but more than the equivalent of a single mixed drink the next day will interfere with your recovery.

Interesting to consider too is protein about 20 minutes after a ride and more specifically, protein that contains the amino acids, leucine, which is thought to be critical in the process of exercise-induced muscle tissue building. It's not that convenient to eat a T-bone steak right after a ride but, you might experiment with having a tin of smoked kippers.
Old 04-16-18, 07:55 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I've been known to crack open a cold beer after getting off the trainer, maybe more than once.
Old 04-16-18, 11:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I don't think you need to be so apologetic sounding. Nothing wrong with enjoying yourself a bit.
I hear ya beer is ingrained in the culture down here in Hondo Texas.
Old 04-17-18, 01:12 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by McBTC
After a 2 hour ride is when an icy-cold flight of IPA tastes best...

I've done a little research on it... dehydration is the key thing to avoid so it's suggested to keep up the water-intake. Also, up to ~22 ounces of beer right after a ride won't do you any harm but more than the equivalent of a single mixed drink the next day will interfere with your recovery.

Interesting to consider too is protein about 20 minutes after a ride and more specifically, protein that contains the amino acids, leucine, which is thought to be critical in the process of exercise-induced muscle tissue building. It's not that convenient to eat a T-bone steak right after a ride but, you might experiment with having a tin of smoked kippers.
The post protein timing is considered not to be as important as had been previously though. The benefit can still be had even many hours later. As to the valine, I believe you're referring to BCAA (valine, leucine, and isoleucine) which are responsible for 1/3 of muscle protein.

Some believe supplementing your diet will help in faster recovery but they are present in any complete protein. BCAA supplementation can be expensive, but if cost is no object they certainly wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-17-18, 10:35 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by KraneXL
The post protein timing is considered not to be as important as had been previously though. ...

...the exception being, fasted training, such as going for a bike ride for a few hours before breakfast, before any carbohydrates are consumed, since eating ~12 hrs. or more earlier in the previous day, in which case protein is good but certain amino acids are better or... as little as 3g of leucine apparently is sufficient, which is close to what's in about 3 oz. of kippers.

Last edited by McBTC; 04-17-18 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-18-18, 12:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I hear ya beer is ingrained in the culture down here in Hondo Texas.
One of my cycling friends is co-founder of a local brewery that's doing really well after less than two years.

It's good to see a resurgence in the beer industry in Texas. It was always a natural fit, but encountered a culture clash between the Germans and Czechs who came here in the early to mid 1800s, bringing their long heritage in brewing, and the repressive Methodists and Baptists of English and Scottish heritage who imposed blue laws and dry counties after WWII. I've heard some funny stories from cousins about their mixed-culture parents and grandparents, including the spouse who'd sit alone in the dark in a room praying for the souls of their partners and in-laws who'd dare to enjoy life by playing music, singing and drinking beer out on the porch at night when the devil roamed.

Before WWII the German and Czech culture of beer brewing was strong, including in my own family. My grandmother was of direct German lineage and her side of the family brewed beer, played music, enjoyed good food and life. The other side of the family were from a lineage of miserable Baptist numbskulls who saw nothing but sin and torment and guilt in everything, even though they indulged just as much but in secret.

After WWII, Germans were associated with Nazis and for a few decades lost some political and cultural clout, so many counties went dry. But this only created more problems. Wherever two or more counties butted together, at least one would be wet. The daytime, Wednesday and Sunday teetotalers would flock to the nearest roadhouse to get drunk and cause wrecks on the long drive home. Classic example of how fabricating a "sin" only makes things worse in normal human activities that date back to the earliest discovery of fermentation.

Fortunately the mostly apolitical qualities of the German and Czech heritage persisted in certain enclaves (the Hill Country, the town of West, Texas, and others). My grandmother always enjoyed that part of her heritage, even though she didn't drink beer and rarely drank much of any kind of alcohol. We'd often drive to the Hill Country, stoop in West, drive up to Muenster and surrounding areas.

The thriving microbrewery industry in Texas is a good indication we've reconciled ourselves to an integral part of our diverse culture.
Old 04-18-18, 08:54 AM
KraneXL

...the exception being, fasted training, such as going for a bike ride for a few hours before breakfast, before any carbohydrates are consumed, since eating ~12 hrs. or more earlier in the previous day, in which case protein is good but certain amino acids are better or... as little as 3g of leucine apparently is sufficient, which is close to what's in about 3 oz. of kippers.
Which also has been debunked as of late -- although not universally accepted. I tried fasted cardio, and despite the logic it does more harm than good. Fasted anaerobic exercise however, is another matter altogether.
Old 04-18-18, 09:18 AM
McBTC

Which also has been debunked as of late -- although not universally accepted. I tried fasted cardio, and despite the logic it does more harm than good. Fasted anaerobic exercise however, is another matter altogether.
All of my understandings about these matters flow more from hopefulness than faith in the science as I'm in the impossible situation where muscle mass is expected to decrease whereas I'm in need of reversing the aging process and not just slowing it down. So, having a tin of kippers ~20 minutes after a fasted ride (which is sort of related to intermittent fasting) is more my paying homage to high hopes.

There remains an important need for interventions that can improve unhealthy changes in body composition that occur during aging. Given the known loss of lean mass that occurs during both aging and continuous CR [calorie restriction], IF [Intermittent fasting] regimens may be an effective approach to help older adults lose unhealthy weight while retaining larger amounts of lean mass. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1002/oby.22065
Old 04-18-18, 09:41 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

Edit: The story of how Pilsner beer came to be is a case in point. Back in the early 1800s the people of Plzen, now in the Czech Republic, got sick of drinking crappy beer. The inhabitants of Plzen picked up their axes and sledges and went down to the brewery, where they broke open and poured into the river all the beer in the brewery. The brewery owners, after some thought, hired a Bavarian brewer to brew them a new kind of beer. And in 1842 Plzenske Prazdroj was created. Hence what is known here as Pilsner (or Pilsener) beer.
I had heard that Pilsner comes from the Pilzen hops found in the Czech Republic. I also heard that when they tried to import Budvar, a Czech Pilsner, into the US, Budweiser threatened to sue over the name. It was then renamed Czechvar and imported. Don't know how much of this is true.
Old 04-18-18, 09:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
FWIW on a hot day I like Stella Artois or similar beers.
Old 04-18-18, 12:21 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by bruce19
FWIW on a hot day I like Stella Artois or similar beers.
On the label Stella is calling their brew a lager...
Old 04-18-18, 12:45 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I had heard that Pilsner comes from the Pilzen hops found in the Czech Republic. I also heard that when they tried to import Budvar, a Czech Pilsner, into the US, Budweiser threatened to sue over the name. It was then renamed Czechvar and imported. Don't know how much of this is true.
It's saaz hops, which I believe are slightly psychedelic and perhaps account for the Czech sense of humor. Or perhaps it's because the Czechs always lose and have learned to laugh about it. Some microbrews in the US are brewed with saaz hops.

The war between Budweiser and Czech beer is true. In the Czech Republic, they advertise Budweiser beer complete with logo quite openly, and it's not the American stuff. The Czechs feel the name is stolen and horribly misappropriated. The name comes from the Czech town of České Budějovice.
Old 04-18-18, 04:26 PM
KraneXL

All of my understandings about these matters flow more from hopefulness than faith in the science as I'm in the impossible situation where muscle mass is expected to decrease whereas I'm in need of reversing the aging process and not just slowing it down. So, having a tin of kippers ~20 minutes after a fasted ride (which is sort of related to intermittent fasting) is more my paying homage to high hopes.
As long as you know what you're getting (empty calories), and don't count is as a good thing.
Old 04-18-18, 05:42 PM
McBTC

As long as you know what you're getting (empty calories), and don't count is as a good thing.
empty calories-- calories derived from food containing no nutrients.

Because herring are one of the types of fish lowest in mercury and higher in omega-3 fats, they are a good choice to help you meet your recommended two servings of fish per week. Don't consume all of your herring in the form of kippers, however, since these are high in sodium. ~Livstrong
Looks like a no lose situation to me...
Old 04-18-18, 06:02 PM
McBTC

Anything tastes good if you haven't eaten more than a stick of string cheese in >12 hrs. but for anyone interested in what I think may be a good food to break the fast of fasted cycling, you might like to try a tin of Herring--

Herring provides a high amount of omega fatty acids, a positive source of triglycerides. High in vitamin and mineral content, it is also an excellent source of essential amino acids including Histidine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Tryptophan and Valine. ~Herring - Healthiest Foods
Essential amino acids are not produced by the body in any significant amount and are considered by many to be crucial components in muscle synthesis.
Old 04-18-18, 06:19 PM
KraneXL

Anything tastes good if you haven't eaten more than a stick of string cheese in >12 hrs. but for anyone interested in what I think may be a good food to break the fast of fasted cycling, you might like to try a tin of Herring--

Essential amino acids are not produced by the body in any significant amount and are considered by many to be crucial components in muscle synthesis.
Good food notwithstanding, I would burn through that in about 30 minutes. I typically reserve fish for when I eat out, and have never gotten full from any fish meal.

I tried many different macro nutrients solutions and combinations over the years and found that only carbs will satiate my hunger after a fast. I could do it with protein but it would take massive amounts (3/4 of a chicken or a 16oz steak) to reach that same level of hunger relief.

If I ate that much steak I'd have to wait 6 hours before bed. Although I could do it with ground beef in half that time.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-18-18 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-18-18, 07:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Empty calories, pppbbbttt! It's made from grains, yeast and water. Sounds like health food to me.

Hey, I've given up most carbs, including morning muffins with coffee. I have maybe 3 lbs of excess fat around my waist, the lowest my weight has been since I was in peak condition in my 20s. If I have to give up beer to trim that little bit, it ain't worth the effort. I can't blame my suckiness at hill climbing on 3 lbs of goo, not when I'm being passed by guys who are 20-50 lbs overweight. Some sacrifices just ain't worth it.

Besides, I have a BBQ chicken and beer in the fridge with my name on 'em.
Old 04-18-18, 07:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
That isn't really how it works. It takes carbs to build muscle. (Look it up.) After a ride, the most efficient mix is 2-4 times as many grams carbs as protein. Your body's first need is to replenish glycogen. If you don't eat carbs but protein instead, it'll convert the protein to carbs, with a lot of loss. Glyconeogenesis it's called. And protein has a big window, maybe 4 hours, while the glycogen window is much shorter. I think ideally you want to eat carbs while you're still breathing hard.
Old 04-18-18, 09:49 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That isn't really how it works. It takes carbs to build muscle. (Look it up.) After a ride, the most efficient mix is 2-4 times as many grams carbs as protein. Your body's first need is to replenish glycogen. If you don't eat carbs but protein instead, it'll convert the protein to carbs, with a lot of loss. Glyconeogenesis it's called. And protein has a big window, maybe 4 hours, while the glycogen window is much shorter. I think ideally you want to eat carbs while you're still breathing hard.
True, true but my initial carb intake is an IPA which is delayed a bit in getting to the craft brewery.
Old 04-19-18, 02:05 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by canklecat
Empty calories, pppbbbttt! It's made from grains, yeast and water. Sounds like health food to me.
None of which is providing your body any nutritional benefit. Just because its organic does not mean its good for you.

Hey, I've given up most carbs, including morning muffins with coffee. I have maybe 3 lbs of excess fat around my waist, the lowest my weight has been since I was in peak condition in my 20s. If I have to give up beer to trim that little bit, it ain't worth the effort. I can't blame my suckiness at hill climbing on 3 lbs of goo, not when I'm being passed by guys who are 20-50 lbs overweight. Some sacrifices just ain't worth it.

Besides, I have a BBQ chicken and beer in the fridge with my name on 'em.
Well you're on the right track. But there's still hidden carbs everywhere. Like in the BBQ sauce you're so fond of for example. Its not that carb are bad (there's a lot of nutrients in unrefined carbs) its just that its so easy to get too much of them. And technically they are not nutritionally necessary to survive.
Bon appétit.
Old 04-19-18, 04:10 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

What is this "BBQ sauce" of which you speak? This is Texas, not those heathen places that pour syrup on their meat.
Old 04-19-18, 10:10 AM
McBTC

Good fasted food...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nutrition brisket.jpg (62.2 KB, 111 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.