Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclists Don’t Break Traffic Laws Any More Than Drivers Do

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclists Don’t Break Traffic Laws Any More Than Drivers Do

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 05:57 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
i guess the "on roads that cyclists used" part is written in invisible text.

You know, i brought it up, and I moved on ... I gave you a chance to do the same ... you opted to go back and deny what you actually posted.

Well, there it is ... what you Actually posted.

No need to debate facts ....
Try starting at my first mention of such laws, back in post 21, instead of jumping into an offhand response to ILTB.
Old 04-14-18, 06:06 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
A better answer would have been speed limits don't apply to cyclist. On the other hand, it would be an interesting story if a cyclist ever got a speeding ticket for racing through a school zone.
It’s happened locally and made the news: a cyclist was ticketed for speeding through a school zone. I only know of that one instance, but as far as I know the cyclist had to pay the same fine a motorist would have had to pay (which is fairly substantial).
Old 04-14-18, 06:24 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Are there any cyclists in the world all that concerned about whether there is a provision in the traffic code or not for "blowing through a light" [presumably crossing after checking for traffic] if it doesn't change after a certain amount of time?

Do such OCD characters wait for their state government to enact a provision before they will cross, or do they wait for someone to rescue them from their predicament?
No, but there are cyclists who are curious enough to look it up on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
Old 04-14-18, 09:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
This could vary from one state to another. In Wisconsin, there's a provision for blowing through a light if it doesn't change after a certain amount of time.
So, the first time you wait for a half an hour for the light to change before proceeding.

Then what do you do the second time you encounter that same light?
Old 04-14-18, 09:30 PM
CliffordK

This could vary from one state to another. In Wisconsin, there's a provision for blowing through a light if it doesn't change after a certain amount of time.
Oregon's law is found here:

ORS 811.360 Section 2

(2) In addition to the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, a bicyclist or motorcyclist does not violate ORS 811.260 (Appropriate driver responses to traffic control devices) and 811.265 (Driver failure to obey traffic control device) if:
(a) The bicyclist or motorcyclist approaches an intersection where there is a traffic control device showing a steady circular red signal, a steady red bicycle signal or a steady red arrow signal;
(b) The traffic control device is controlled by a vehicle detection device;
(c) The bicyclist or motorcyclist comes to a complete stop and waits for the traffic control device to complete one full cycle; and
(d) After the vehicle detection device fails to detect the presence of the bicycle or motorcycle and change the traffic control device to a green signal, the bicyclist or motorcyclist proceeds with caution through the intersection.
Of course, it says nothing about the times when there is a complete failure of the light to cycle. Steady green for cross traffic that never changes for an extended period.

And, of course, the issue is that if it never properly detects the cyclist, one quickly loses patience for the next traffic light encounter or the next time one goes through the same light.

One option, of course, would be Washington's approach to actually fix the lights to detect bicycles (or so they say), as well adding a "blue light" to inform a person that they've triggered the sensors.
Old 04-14-18, 10:04 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63
It’s happened locally and made the news: a cyclist was ticketed for speeding through a school zone. I only know of that one instance, but as far as I know the cyclist had to pay the same fine a motorist would have had to pay (which is fairly substantial).
LOL, I should know better by now.
No, but there are cyclists who are curious enough to look it up on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
Well at least its good to know I'm not the only one around here that looks at the DMV driver handbook as light reading.
Old 04-14-18, 10:07 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by winston63
I think some cyclists consider getting a speeding ticket (not on a hill) as a badge of honor.
Old 04-14-18, 11:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think some cyclists consider getting a speeding ticket (not on a hill) as a badge of honor.
Some cyclists are jerks.
Old 04-14-18, 11:29 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec
Try starting at my first mention of such laws, back in post 21, instead of jumping into an offhand response to ILTB.
Believe it or not, this thread and the various responses are not all about you or your posts. The thread begins on msg#1 and responders may even consider posts made on A&S by other posters that you.
Old 04-15-18, 02:40 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
A better answer would have been speed limits don't apply to cyclist. On the other hand, it would be an interesting story if a cyclist ever got a speeding ticket for racing through a school zone.
Happened to a friend - but he only got a warning rather than a ticket. It was in front of our high school and next to an elementary school.
Old 04-15-18, 03:41 AM
genec
genec

Believe it or not, this thread and the various responses are not all about you or your posts. The thread begins on msg#1 and responders may even consider posts made on A&S by other posters that you.
You are right, no one really cares, except perhaps those that choose to respond.

BTW, my whole response was in an attempt to enlighten those that might care about what was originally posted inpost 17.
Cycling is no different. Most roads have unposted minimum speeds. Most cyclists don't meet those speeds. It's a violation just being on the road. No one cares if you're off to the right and not impeding traffic, but per the letter of the law that says a bike is to be treated like a car in the eyes of the law, you are in violation of the minimum speed laws.
That just struck me as a bunch of nonsense. But I suppose you agree with it, eh?
Old 04-15-18, 06:19 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Motorists in my area almost never stop at stop signs and routinely run red lights.
Fixed for you.
Old 04-15-18, 06:29 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I apply the 3 D's irrespective of my mode of transport.

Is it dumb, dangerous or discourteous? Is so, I don't do it. If not, then it's all good.
Old 04-15-18, 06:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

That just struck me as a bunch of nonsense. But I suppose you agree with it, eh?
Your suppositions are sometimes a bunch of nonsense, and your responses based on them are the same. This is one of them.
Old 04-15-18, 07:51 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I apply the 3 D's irrespective of my mode of transport.

Is it dumb, dangerous or discourteous? Is so, I don't do it. If not, then it's all good.
All subjective, but especially the discourteous one. I was stopped at a stop light one time waiting to go through a major road. A transit bus was on the left turn lane. When the light turned amber and traffic was clear I went. The bus driver honked at me. My action was of absolutely no consequence to him and yet he felt compelled to let known his displeasure, that my action was discourteous.

I showed him my displeasure by giving the one-finger salute. Now that's discourteous!
Old 04-15-18, 09:21 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
So, the first time you wait for a half an hour for the light to change before proceeding.

We pass the time thumbing through our handy pocket edition of the Wisconsin traffic code, of course.

But seriously, when I'm on my bike, I'm not sitting at my computer debating about traffic laws in a forum thread that's about traffic laws. It's a safe bet that I do what most sane cyclists would do if stuck at a non functioning traffic light. I can only say that based on habits formed over the decades, I tend to obey traffic lights. There are actually relatively few of them on my typical routes.

Of course, to cite me for waiting fewer than 45 seconds, someone would have to prove that I waited fewer than 45 seconds.

When I lived in another town long ago, I was driving through the downtown area, and stopped when the light turned red. I got rear-ended. The guy got out and started cussing me out for stopping at the stoplight. I calmly asked him if he'd like to continue debating it until the police arrived. He got back in his car and stormed off, still cussing. It looked like my trailer hitch had gone through his radiator.
Old 04-15-18, 10:11 AM
genec
genec

Your suppositions are sometimes a bunch of nonsense, and your responses based on them are the same. This is one of them.
Oh, so you support the notion that "most roads have unposted minimum speeds and it is a violation for cyclists not meeting that speed to even be on the road."

From the original quote:
For example, the speed limit is 35. That means 36 is a violation. No one actually cares, but 1 mph over is a clear violation of the law. Conversely there are usually minimum speed requirements. A 35 mph zone probably has a minimum speed of 25mph (which is never posted, but you're expected to know that based on the type of road you are on)

Cycling is no different. Most roads have unposted minimum speeds. Most cyclists don't meet those speeds. It's a violation just being on the road. No one cares if you're off to the right and not impeding traffic, but per the letter of the law that says a bike is to be treated like a car in the eyes of the law, you are in violation of the minimum speed laws.
https://www.bikeforums.net/20281965-post17.html
Old 04-15-18, 10:13 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

Depending on how busy the cross street is, I may
1) get off the bike and press the pedestrian cross button. Then either walk my bike across or get back into the curb lane and ride across;

or

2) make a right turn and when I'm far enough from the intersection, make a U-turn and go back to the intersection and turn right. (U-turns are legal in Toronto. I've seen many motorists including service and construction vehicles make U-turns in the intersection.)
Old 04-15-18, 10:22 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
The guy got out and started cussing me out for stopping at the stoplight.
I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. I got honked one early morning for letting a pedestrian cross the street. My wife got rear-ended while trying to turn right after stopping at the red light. I get honked for stopping at the red light and I get honked just as the light turns green.

Never had a cyclist do these things to me.
Old 04-15-18, 12:06 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. I got honked one early morning for letting a pedestrian cross the street. My wife got rear-ended while trying to turn right after stopping at the red light. I get honked for stopping at the red light and I get honked just as the light turns green.

Never had a cyclist do these things to me.
Yeah, I was honked at by another motorist when I let a signaling cyclist cross a freeway ramp in front of me.
Old 04-15-18, 12:21 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Oh, so you support the notion that "most roads have unposted minimum speeds and it is a violation for cyclists not meeting that speed to even be on the road."

From the original quote:
https://www.bikeforums.net/20281965-post17.html
Another example of your bunch of nonsense suppositions MO, fabricating a bogus claim or opinion for me.
Old 04-15-18, 12:54 PM
genec
genec

Another example of your bunch of nonsense suppositions MO, fabricating a bogus claim or opinion for me.
As usual, you skip the heart of the matter and just attack the messenger.

OK simply answer the question:
Do most roads have unposted minimum speeds and it is a violation for cyclists not meeting that speed to even be on the road?

Now offer your own opinion.
Old 04-15-18, 01:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

As usual, you skip the heart of the matter and just attack the messenger.

OK simply answer the question:
Do most roads have unposted minimum speeds and it is a violation for cyclists not meeting that speed to even be on the road?

Now offer your own opinion.
I have no "opinion" on your so-called question or this subject, since I couldn't care less. It is your question, answer it yourself. Besides you can just fabricate another "supposition" about what my opinion really is, whether I post one or not.
Old 04-15-18, 01:20 PM
genec
genec

I have no "opinion" on your so-called question or this subject, since I couldn't care less. It is your question, answer it yourself. Besides you can just fabricate another "supposition" about what my opinion really is, whether I post one or not.
Yet again, avoiding the question and just attacking the messenger. If you have no opinion, just shut up!
Old 04-15-18, 03:20 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Enough! ILTB and Genec please both leave the thread, I don’t care who started it but it takes two to tango and since neither is backing down, both please go. Thanks so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.