Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Pedals with grip/reflectors for size 13EE feet

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 04-29-18, 08:40 AM
Fiend606

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a Giant Escape 2 City Disc and I despise the pedals. My feet slip off often and I can't seem to keep my feet in a sweet spot to pedal. I will be commuting to work on my bike at night and I wish to be legal in the event of an accident. I have already ordered head light/tail light, mirrors and other reflectors but still the amber reflectors on the pedals seem required for night biking according to the ambiguously worded laws here in Pennsylvania. My top choice are Shimano PD-MX80 Saint pedals but no reflectors and although they made add-on reflectors for them(part #SM-PD64) no one in the USA seems to sell them. I found a source over seas and they are cheap but the shipping is expensive. My last resort is to order several sets of the SM-PD64 reflectors and try to sell the extras to break even on the shipping(I'm not even interested in making a profit or offset the cost of the actual reflectors for myself). I'd rather try to find a suitable pedal in the USA before resorting to all the extra time , money and effort involved in ordering from over seas.

So I've spent about 8 hours total looking on Amazon for suitable pedals that hit all my needs...good grip in dry, damp or wet conditions, large flat platform, durable and amber reflectors. I can't seem to find a good match on my own. Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

Here's my new bike so far....
Old 04-30-18, 02:54 AM
Ai_Hia

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 disc 2018

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up with pin style platform pedals similar to that shimano saint, also with no reflectors, but was also looking at these - https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...-pedals-nb-dpp
Old 04-30-18, 08:49 AM
Fiend606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on the Shimano PD-MX80 Saints and ordered 3 sets of the reflectors from Germany. I'll try to e-bay two sets to break even on the shipping costs(same shipping cost for 3 sets as for just one). I hate the stock pedals so much which are VP-877 . Here is the stock pedal that came on the bike: VP 877 New Axle Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles . My feet slip a lot. Can't keep a comfortable footing on them for long because my feet keep moving out of place on the pedal.

Maybe its partly my shoes but the shoes I wear are New Balance Minimus 40 I plan on using for the gym and I don't want to carry another pair of shoes to ride with. I might later but for now I'll change up the pedals. Now I just have to work on getting into good enough shape on the bike to make it to the gym in reasonable time with all the hills plus a few bad narrow sections of high traffic road and no shoulders or debris cluttered micro-shoulders I can't ride on. Someone passed me on my first dry run in a bad stretch and he was literally 2 inches from the end of my handle bar...but he just had to pass. I may end up walking that section of the trip since its so dangerous.
Old 05-01-18, 06:32 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
FYI I've been riding in PA for years with no reflectors (but front and rear lights at night), and have never had any issues with the cops. Requiring pedals to have reflectors would make most cyclists I know illegal. That said, my cycling shoes have reflective elements on the heels, which is what I'm going to tell the cop if I ever get pulled over!
Old 05-02-18, 07:59 AM
Fiend606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
FYI I've been riding in PA for years with no reflectors (but front and rear lights at night), and have never had any issues with the cops. Requiring pedals to have reflectors would make most cyclists I know illegal. That said, my cycling shoes have reflective elements on the heels, which is what I'm going to tell the cop if I ever get pulled over!
I'm less concerned about the police and more concerned about getting hit and then having the fact I don't have the reflectors as a reason to blame it on me. I have spoke reflectors on now. I wear a reflective safety vest. I have a front and rear light. I have FLECTR reflectors on the way for my wheels, frame and helmet. The wording about the reflectors is a bit ambiguous, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Bicycle Safety and Pennsylvania Laws
Old 05-02-18, 09:16 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiend606
I'm less concerned about the police and more concerned about getting hit and then having the fact I don't have the reflectors as a reason to blame it on me. I have spoke reflectors on now. I wear a reflective safety vest. I have a front and rear light. I have FLECTR reflectors on the way for my wheels, frame and helmet. The wording about the reflectors is a bit ambiguous, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I have a bright rear light (Cygolite Hotshot) on at all times to for that reason. Reflectors are fairly useless for visibility (see e.g. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/reflectors.html ), so I would recommend always using bright active (flashing) LED lights (especially in the daytime when reflectors do nothing). The new bright LED front lights cannot be mistaken at night, reflectors rely on a car catching you at the right angle, hopefully before they hit you.

Regarding the law, I know people who have been hit, and gone through the courts, and the end result has always been in the favor of the driver, regardless of the laws and the cyclist's adherence to them. Too many people consider cyclists to be "in the way" and taking their own lives into their own hands. One notorious case here, when a cyclist was sideswiped as a car tried to squeeze between him and a central divider, had a judge rule that although yes, technically the car did break PA's 4ft passing law, as per maritime law, small boats should give way to large ships, so he would not prosecute the driver. I **** you not.

However, in the end it's about how safe and confident you feel on the roads. If you need to install reflectors on your bike to feel safe, do it.
Old 05-02-18, 12:13 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiend606

In my state, it says that new bicycles and bicycle pedals can only be sold within the state as long as the pedals have reflectors. The law doesn't say anything about riding without reflectors on your pedals. But personally I think pedal reflectors are important because the up/down motion really shows up in a car's headlights and the driver should instantly know that it's a bicycle.

Of course, that's not to say that lights on a bike aren't important. I believe that reflectors should be used to supplement lighting for visibility.

But I did remove my spoke reflectors in exchange for spoke lights which are far brighter and more visible and noticeable than the reflectors alone would be.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 05-02-18 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 12:25 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tri color ankle bands. Cheap and very visible at night.
Old 05-05-18, 05:33 AM
Fiend606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Various reflectors are required from dusk to dawn., I am riding to work at night....around 10 pm and sometimes 2:30 am. I do have other safety items on the bike and waiting for a couple to come in the mail. I have niterider head(750 lumens) and tail(150 lumens) lights, 3m spoke reflectors, loud bicycle horn, 2 rear view mirrors and I wear a hi-viz safety vest with reflective stripes, I'm waiting for FECTR reflective items to come in for my wheels, helmet and bike frame. Better safe than sorry. I worked on road crews for 4.5 years with various utility companies. Drivers are scary. I got laid off because we had a road related death on a operating job site at night and the company we were subbing out for canceled all our jobs...someone I was acquainted with for almost 2 years was killed. I'm well aware of how dangerous the roads can be,. The pedal reflectors are just me being as legal as possible in the event of something happening so I can say I tried to meet and exceed the safety laws/rules for riding my bike at all times but especially at night.
Old 05-08-18, 12:21 PM
Fiend606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put the Shimano PD-MX80 Saint pedals on my bike. I removed the spacers from the pedal grip pins to get more bite on my shoes. The difference is huge, especially on hills. Much more stable footing with these pedals and no slipping at all. They feel better in every way. I don't regret the purchase at all.
Old 05-08-18, 05:22 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
honestly reflectors work when the car is RIGHT near you. Works at limited angles. I don't trust them and usually junk them in the first 2mins of owning a bike.

You best bet is to be seen, run a red led flasher on the seat tube or behind the rack. I like NIte rider Solas, super bright and can been seen from a mile away on straight road. Run a flasher up front PLUS a steady on light.

I run both flashers F/R in the daytime, cheap insurance to be seen and not end up thru a windshield again.

https://www.niterider.com/product/solas-100-2/

https://www.niterider.com/product/lumina-1100-boost/

Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - LED Lights - Zecto Drive (Front)

both flashers are good enough to complete a REALLY long century plus rides length
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-09-18, 12:06 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
honestly reflectors work when the car is RIGHT near you. Works at limited angles. I don't trust them and usually junk them in the first 2mins of owning a bike.
Again, I say that reflectors are handy but only as supplemental to lights. I personally put some red reflective tape on the back of my seat stays and red/white tape on other strategic locations around my bike. But I never ride in the dark without lights. Never would I rely on factory supplied reflectors alone.