Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike stolen, replaced with humanity

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 08:58 PM
natnatroswell22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After she posted the sign that the stolen bike was a thing she needed for work . It's a bit hilarious yet a heart touching story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f3ac207d3656
Old 04-29-18, 09:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
So which Peugeot is worth thousands of dollars?
Old 04-30-18, 01:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
So which Peugeot is worth thousands of dollars?
The one stuffed with a lot of hundred dollars bills
Old 05-01-18, 10:57 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Strangers will do the most unexpected things in a time of need. This story reminds me of the unsolicited help I recieved some weeks ago when my loaded touring bike, which I live on, was stolen. First, I met up with an actual tourer who was raising funds for cancer and his leukemia. He gave me $50. Then, during terrible headwinds, a guy pulled over and asked if I needed water. He ended up driving me to my destination, buying me a rear rack at a bike shop, (I was biking w/a filled plastic bag on each side of the handlebars looking like a homeless person but in the middle of nowhere.) and then buying me panniers (which I didn't have the money for)! And then, just before leaving, he took cash out of his wallet and forced me to take it. He asked for nothing in return, didn't even want to stay in touch. He spent $200 on me, a complete stranger, so that I that I wouldn't stay down for long. How do you pay something like that forward??
Old 05-01-18, 07:43 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Nice story!
Old 05-01-18, 10:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
Strangers will do the most unexpected things in a time of need. This story reminds me of the unsolicited help I recieved some weeks ago when my loaded touring bike, which I live on, was stolen. First, I met up with an actual tourer who was raising funds for cancer and his leukemia. He gave me $50. Then, during terrible headwinds, a guy pulled over and asked if I needed water. He ended up driving me to my destination, buying me a rear rack at a bike shop, (I was biking w/a filled plastic bag on each side of the handlebars looking like a homeless person but in the middle of nowhere.) and then buying me panniers (which I didn't have the money for)! And then, just before leaving, he took cash out of his wallet and forced me to take it. He asked for nothing in return, didn't even want to stay in touch. He spent $200 on me, a complete stranger, so that I that I wouldn't stay down for long. How do you pay something like that forward??
The best way is to help someone on down the line. Even if something small like helping someone pump a tire or raise a seatpost to make them more comfortable. Or maybe you come across some money and buy someone an apple or a bottle of water or whatever. Or just giving someone a smile and a hello could brighten a day and may not be a huge thing for you but could be big for someone else. If you are a good person no matter how much you have or don't have you can do good for others. Certainly those with lots of money can maybe make a bigger impact in some areas but as they say "it's the little things that count"
Old 05-02-18, 09:47 PM
Ryan Olivas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IDK, but for me, any kind of help, big or little, It doesn't really matter. Everything I consider help, I'll appreciate it equally.
Old 05-03-18, 03:01 AM
laurenholloway

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with you any help will be really appreciated.