Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is there a cruiser for women that can support 380 lbs?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Is there a cruiser for women that can support 380 lbs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 08:13 PM
Bookgirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a beach cruiser for women that can support 380 lbs?

I really want a beach cruiser (3 speed) but the ones I’ve looked at online have a weight limit of 300 and I’m 380. Are there any under $400 that can support 380? We’ll only be riding around our flat neighborhood. I really love the look of beach cruisers and a super cute bike is important to me. I know some Clydes here may not understand lol. I just have always wanted a mint or blue beach cruiser, I don’t want to have to get a mountain bike just because I’m heavy. This girl deserves cute just as much as my skinny friends

Last edited by Bookgirl; 05-07-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-07-18, 04:21 AM
Arvadaman

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the route I went for building a cruiser bike for my wife.

Kent's Bike Blog: The Speed Cruiser Manifesto

Here is a link to an old thread also.

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...mtn-bikes.html

Old, rigid, steel framed MTB’s make wonderful all rounders. Rugged and versatile.

We live in Colorado in a hilly area. It frustrates me to see people struggle with riding hills on one speed beach cruisers.

One of my many bike-related pet peeves I guess.
Old 05-07-18, 04:41 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I'd just get one and ride it. Make sure the tire pressure is at the maximum rating on the tires.

Choose one with 36 spokes if possible.

When riding, be careful of what you run into or run over. No hopping curbs, either direction.

Keep up on the maintenance of the bike, and be aware that some parts may wear quicker for you. If wheels go bad, get some new custom ones made with quality spokes.
Old 05-07-18, 08:48 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I hear good things about Specialized Rockhoppers, but that is just reputation. I'd look for an early/mid 90's Trek mountain bike. Ridiculously cheap for how much bike you get. For one, you get gears and that alone is going to make riding more pleasureable than a beach curisers single speed intended for pancake flat coastal town boardwalks. Then go for Velocity rims. I have Chukkers on my Tandem (team weight with gear 500+) & Atlas on my mountain bike. I'm pretty hard & neither have ever needed any attention; Still true as the day they were built. There is a 40 hole 135mm wide hub...I'll find the link, but it's pretty expensive. (edit, it's for road bikes: 40 hole hub 130mm ) 36 hole hubs are pretty common & what I recommend when (if) you get your wheels built.

If it were me, I would steer clear of bonded aluminum built frames. I don't have any real reason to say that. But after 25 years of age and then puting it in service at or exceeding the load the engineers intended just doesn't seem wise. Of course, I don't know what the engineers intend, I'm sure actually taking a mountain bike up to a mountain & beating it is different than riding it around the neighborhood, so I may be off base on that, but I'm sure there are plenty of 6xx or 8xx that would both be cheaper & better for your purposes. Especially if you get one with decent rims (double wall) to begin with.

It sounds to me like what you think you are looking for could be a Worksman. I own one. They seem like they would fit the bill, but after adding in the cost of a 7 speed hub and the mediocre front drum brake to make it pleasureable to ride and safe in a variety of terrain outside of the flat lands, the value just isn't there. Add in shipping time, shipping cost, telephone only customer service, obsolete standards & Friday afternoon worksmanship...I'd look elsewhere...towards a '90's mountain bike!

Good luck.

Last edited by base2; 05-07-18 at 09:08 AM. Reason: add link
Old 05-11-18, 09:39 AM
friedduck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if this is helpful but I'll offer. I just bough a cargo bike for hauling a kid + whatever and a lot of the ones that I looked at are really capable. The bike I ended up with (Benno Carry On) handles beautifully at low speed & is, in the words of my wife, easier to ride than her cruiser. Maybe a practical way to go. (Example: Yuba Boda Boda says '...up to 220 lbs plus the rider.'

I'm using mine to try to bike more and use the car less (and lose some weight in the process.) They're not for everyone but I think worth considering.
Good luck!
Jeff
Old 05-11-18, 02:02 PM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I had a Schwinn comfort hybrid when I first started riding. I was between 300-340. I think it would be fine for you, it had a sturdy steel frame and wider tires. It was also a cute bike, I loved it. It was heavy, so so heavy but I wanted something heavy at the time. I’m grateful to that bike. It inspired a love of riding that helped me change my life.

I’ll add I got the super cute Schwinn beach cruiser when I first started and I hated it. I live in a hilly area and need the option of a wide variety of gears.
Old 05-12-18, 12:18 AM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bookgirl
I really want a beach cruiser (3 speed) but the ones I’ve looked at online have a weight limit of 300 and I’m 380. Are there any under $400 that can support 380? We’ll only be riding around our flat neighborhood. I really love the look of beach cruisers and a super cute bike is important to me. I know some Clydes here may not understand lol. I just have always wanted a mint or blue beach cruiser, I don’t want to have to get a mountain bike just because I’m heavy. This girl deserves cute just as much as my skinny friends
I personally wouldn't worry about their weight rating if you'll just be cruising around. Just get out there and ride!
Old 05-13-18, 02:43 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KJK

I personally wouldn't worry about their weight rating if you'll just be cruising around. Just get out there and ride!
True. But do be careful where you ride. If you ride off a curb or over a big pot hole you could easily break some spokes or cause some frame damage. This advice applies to people of all weights but extra so when your nearly 400 pounds.

Some alternative advice, if your actively trying to lose weight, why not try to get down some pounds and reward yourself with a really nice bike. Your options will be much larger as many bikes are rated for 250-280 pounds.