Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clipless Pedals

Old 05-07-18, 02:10 PM
MePoocho
Always Learning

Bikes: Very Upgraded Denali 63.5cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clipless Pedals

I did a 'search' for info on clipless pedals in 'Posts & Threads'. I was hoping to find a bunch of 'Pros and Cons', but I didn't find much. So,,, being tired of the daily hunt for the sweet spot on my pedals what are the thoughts for going clipless?

Sorry if I'm resurrecting a tired old subject. If so just point me to the thread.

Thanks
Old 05-07-18, 02:22 PM
Buddha2499

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you ride more than a few miles, regularly, you should get some clipless pedals. Don't be worried that you might fall over at an intersection when everyone is watching. You definitely will have that experience, probably several times, but that will just make you like everyone else

Seriously though, I hate riding on regular pedals for a couple of reasons:
1. Comfort/Fatigue: There are a lot of muscles you use to keep your feet on the pedals. You don't really think about it or notice it, but your legs and feet are using a bunch of energy to keep your feet on the pedals while moving. Once the pedals are attached to your feet, you don't use those muscles anymore and the result is much more comfortable and steady.

2. Stability: My feet have slipped off platform pedals before, usually when its wet. That hasn't happened a lot, but when attached to the pedals, it never happens. Even if my legs go in some direction they aren't supposed to, they remain on the pedals.

3. Power: You can generate A LOT of power by pulling UP on the crank arms with one foot while you're pushing down with the other. There's a whole large muscle group just waiting to help you up those hills.

But really, its about comfort. Once you get used to attaching the bike to your feet, you'll wonder how you ever did without. Make for a much smoother and secure experience.
Old 05-07-18, 02:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Pro: they keep your feet attached to the pedals.
Con: you'll have to change your shoes.
Old 05-07-18, 02:40 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Just do it. It's not like you can't go back. Foot retention is the number one reason for me, and yeah, you get the same spot every time, but I do that without clipless too.
Old 05-07-18, 02:44 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
For me the biggest against is worry about repetitive strain. Applying constant pressure to your feet and in the same exact location is great for efficiency but things like that are not so great for longterm joint health.
Old 05-07-18, 02:45 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
The hardest part is explaining to the unknowing why the things are called clipless even though they clip onto your shoes.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 05-07-18, 02:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
One option is to go with toe clips. No fancy shoes to buy. You can also get half clips that just hold the toe in place, but don't hold the foot to the pedal.

If you like the toeclips, then you'll like clipless even better.

If you dislike toeclips, then you probably won't like clipless either.
Old 05-07-18, 02:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddha2499
If you ride more than a few miles, regularly, you should get some clipless pedals. Don't be worried that you might fall over at an intersection when everyone is watching. You definitely will have that experience, probably several times, but that will just make you like everyone else

Seriously though, I hate riding on regular pedals for a couple of reasons:
1. Comfort/Fatigue: There are a lot of muscles you use to keep your feet on the pedals. You don't really think about it or notice it, but your legs and feet are using a bunch of energy to keep your feet on the pedals while moving. Once the pedals are attached to your feet, you don't use those muscles anymore and the result is much more comfortable and steady.

2. Stability: My feet have slipped off platform pedals before, usually when its wet. That hasn't happened a lot, but when attached to the pedals, it never happens. Even if my legs go in some direction they aren't supposed to, they remain on the pedals.

3. Power: You can generate A LOT of power by pulling UP on the crank arms with one foot while you're pushing down with the other. There's a whole large muscle group just waiting to help you up those hills.

But really, its about comfort. Once you get used to attaching the bike to your feet, you'll wonder how you ever did without. Make for a much smoother and secure experience.
There are pull-outs that happen from time to time, and can be rather disconcerting, and possibly dangerous, although they usually happen at the lowest speeds. Rare if tension is adjusted properly, but they still can happen.

As far as power, I agree that one has greater instantaneous power, especially in low gears with the clipless.

However, there is some data to indicate that the overall efficiency doesn't significantly change.

There is also that first second delay as one is getting clipped in.
Old 05-07-18, 03:14 PM
MePoocho
Always Learning

Bikes: Very Upgraded Denali 63.5cm

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm All In....!

Thanks for all the input..... gonna make the change.
Old 05-07-18, 04:22 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by MePoocho
Good for you but just go with mountain bike shoes and pedals. You can walk in the shoes...sometimes for most of a marathon...and they are mostly 2 sided so that you don't have to fiddle with flipping them over to clip in.

You also don't need to spend a lot of money on pedals. The Shimano M520 is every bit as good as its more expensive cousins. Stick with the Shimano over other brands as well. They work better and last longer.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-07-18 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-07-18, 05:20 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
When I first considered going clipless, everyone said "you'll fall over at least a time or two until you get the hang of it. So, I assumed the getting unclipped part would need to be "mastered." When I got all set up and tried it out, getting unclipped was easy. The hard part was finding the sweet spot to clip in. Everything went smooth for a couple of rides, as I was getting the hang of finding that spot of clipping in on my left foot. Right is easy because I start out with it already clipped in before I get going.

So, as I'm getting the hang of it, the thoughts of being told I'd fall a time or two occurred to me. I thought, Ha!, naaaaa that ain't gonna happen to me, I pretty much have the hang of it. Fast forward 4 days later as I've traveled 40 miles to ride in an organized event with about 300 other riders. First rest stop coming up about mile 15. There it is, just up the small hill where all the riders have gathered. Let me pause my Strava as I get ready to come to a stop. Uh oh.. Oh s**t!! Down I went. Was asked if I was okay by someone. Yeah, just my pride is severely injured.

Moral of the story: Unclipping is easy ...as long as you've remembered to do it.
Old 05-07-18, 05:29 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I rode clipless as a noobie when mountain biking, on scary, technical, steep singletrack. Never had a problem. I'll never go back, mountain or road.
Old 05-07-18, 05:52 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Good for you but just go with mountain bike shoes and pedals. You can walk in the shoes...sometimes for most of a marathon...and they are mostly 2 sided so that you don't have to fiddle with flipping them over to clip in.

You also don't need to spend a lot of money on pedals. The Shimano M520 is every bit as good as its more expensive cousins. Stick with the Shimano over other brands as well. They work better and last longer.
Agree with that completely. In fact I use Shimano Deore XT PD-T8000 pedals, with SPD clips on one side for my Giro Rumbles and pins on the other for use with other shoes, including my 5-11s.

Old 05-07-18, 06:12 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Look into Crank Brothers clipless pedals. So easy to clip in and out. Low profile looks.
Old 05-07-18, 06:40 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I ride Time ATAC mountain pedals with mountain biking shoes on my road bike. So easy to clip in and out, buttery smooth. Nice and comfy for walking.
Old 05-07-18, 06:44 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
8020 xt. Easy to clip in click out. Spin instead of mash. Using more muscles.
Old 05-07-18, 07:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I switched to clipless on my road bike this January. Love it. Really helps on climbs, fast downhills when I'm spinning around 120 rpm, and rough roads where my feet would bounce around on platforms.

I'd used toe clips and straps back in the 1970s, so the transition wasn't difficult. One slow-motion fall the first week, just a minor bruise. A couple of near-falls, more comical and embarrassing than anything else.

But I'm using Look pedals and cleats with rigid shoes. Not great for walking off the bike. Sounds like wearing high heels with taps. Still, I prefer these to the more casual Shimano SPD type mountain bike shoes that are suitable for walking. Better support for my arches, which tend to go into painful spasms without the rigid soles.

I still prefer platforms and regular shoes on my hybrid. It's also my errand bike and I ride it most of the time in casual group rides around the city. I don't like messing with foot retention in traffic with lots of stop and go riding. Distance isn't really a factor. I ride 20-50 miles on the hybrid, same as the road bike, but under different conditions. Most of my road bike routes are rural, very few stops.

I hadn't ridden my hybrid for a couple of weeks, so last week I nearly tumbled off the hybrid trying to unclip from non-existent retention. Twisted my left foot, never felt the telltale *click*, panicked, jerked my foot off and caught myself just before falling... and realized I was on my hybrid instead of the road bike. The driver behind me must have thought I was an idiot when I started laughing.

That's the only disadvantage I've encountered to using foot retention on some bikes and not on all of them.
Old 05-07-18, 07:44 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I went to clipless last year. Last week, Wasn't sure if I would keep my clipless until I had to use my old bike because I didn't want to bring my good bike downtown and leave it chained to a post. Old bike doesn't have clipless. Hated not being able to pull on the pedals. Hated having to rearrange my feet on the pedals. Decision made, I'll stay clipped
Old 05-07-18, 08:03 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts

This! I originally used KKT Campy-clone quill pedals for years and years with cleats. The vintage shoes eventually ceased to fit well and lo and behold I found I was riding an anachronism! So at age 60 on the advice of my sister, I bought SPD pedals (Shimano PD-M530, a double-sided platform) with road looking MTB shoes. WOW! They were walkable! Then came the emergency and I could not unclip even on the loosest setting. Teetered over and felt like the largest fool on the road. No damage, except to my pride.

I rechecked the tension and then realized that the unclip was not a natural movement for ME. I did some research and because I really liked the shoes and the clipless concept, and I found Shimano SPD cleat # SH-56 - the silver SPD cleats. The normal SPDs most encountered (and which I was originally using) are the black SH-51 cleats that came with the M530 pedals I was using. The difference is the silver SH-56 cleats are able to release with more types of foot movements. Both types cost $12.99 a set.

When I asked about them, the bike shop person told me they were popular with tourists and gravel riders and people who had knee issues due to the easier release, but that they did not pull loose. I started with them on the lowest tension, and try as I could, I could not pull out during accelleration or climbing, but they would twist out easily at a stop. I was hooked and they are my standard. I later upgraded to the Shimano PD-9020 XTR pedal, a similar but lighter design, with a larger platform that I got at a screaming good mid-winter sale.

From the Shimano website: Sh-51 Fits all Shimano mountain pedals with 4 degree float except 858; Sh-56 Fits all Shimano mountain pedals with top plates and 0 degree float except 858.
Old 05-07-18, 08:27 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

Sorry if I'm resurrecting a tired old subject. If so just point me to the thread.

Thanks
I know there have been hundreds of posts, but I am adverse to this new layout and search function so:

My opinion is clipless is 80% marketing hype, 20% utility. Most of my road bikes are clipless, but it's just because I might end up climbing or high cadence with a group and clipless are more efficient, and I don't want my investment in shoes and pedals to go to waste. I've gone back to pinned pedals on my MTB, and my fun bikes are all platforms and mini cages. I would never think about commuting is clipless unless I didn't have a choice.

They are not dangerous, you don't fall over, they are simply a nuisance and unnecessary. Kinda like cycling kits.

P>SP - Many riders have gone back to platforms from clipless, as the history of posts on the BF will confirm.
Old 05-07-18, 08:38 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I'll respectfully disagree with the advocates of SPD. I started out with SPD's and then started using SPD-SL on my road bike but after riding with a guy who was using Crank Brothers I noticed he seemed to clip in and out so much more effortlessly than I was. After the ride I asked him about them and he too had started with SPD's and urged me to invest in a set of CB pedals.

I did and no how them on my road and trail bikes. The only way I'd try any other system is that if it was cost free. I find the CB to be so much simpler to clip in my cleats and have never had a problem unclipping. The Crank Brothers cleats will fit SPD shoes but the cheapest Crank Brothers pedals are more expensive than the lower costing SPD pedals.

What makes the CB pedals work better is that you just slide forward to clip in due the having a platform and the retention system is 4 sided and rotates.

I recommend the Crank Brothers all the way.
Old 05-07-18, 08:41 PM
Buddha2499

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
I'll respectfully disagree with the advocates of SPD. I started out with SPD's and then started using SPD-SL on my road bike but after riding with a guy who was using Crank Brothers I noticed he seemed to clip in and out so much more effortlessly than I was. After the ride I asked him about them and he too had started with SPD's and urged me to invest in a set of CB pedals.

I did and no how them on my road and trail bikes. The only way I'd try any other system is that if it was cost free. I find the CB to be so much simpler to clip in my cleats and have never had a problem unclipping. The Crank Brothers cleats will fit SPD shoes but the cheapest Crank Brothers pedals are more expensive than the lower costing SPD pedals.

What makes the CB pedals work better is that you just slide forward to clip in due the having a platform and the retention system is 4 sided and rotates.

I recommend the Crank Brothers all the way.

I am running SPDs now and like them just fine. But I agree about the egg beaters. They were really easy to get in and out of, and quite strong despite looking spindly. If my SPDs ever broke (although they never will), I’ll go back to CB.
Old 05-07-18, 09:09 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You just have mind your shoe choice when the weather is nice i can run my road shoes but if it rains my winter boots do better . my road shoes give me more power . my spd boots give me less . you might need to invest in a bad to carry waalking working shoes too . there are some very walkable shoes out there i just rock my road shoes and stumble around the super market ..
Old 05-07-18, 09:27 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

If you go with mountain bike SPD pedals you should consider Shimano multi-release cleats. You virtually can't fall down on these because you can release them by pulling in any direction, unlike other clips and cleats that require you to release by twisting your shoe by a certain angle.. I never had any issues with them accidentally unclipping.
Old 05-08-18, 08:29 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I did a 'search' for info on clipless pedals in 'Posts & Threads'. I was hoping to find a bunch of 'Pros and Cons', but I didn't find much. So,,, being tired of the daily hunt for the sweet spot on my pedals what are the thoughts for going clipless?

Thanks
As far as road use, if you are racing competitively, they are a must. Otherwise I think they are way oversold.

I say this as someone who has used clipless almost exclusively for two decades on both my mountain bikes and road bikes. Then about three years ago my commuter bike (which has flat pedals) was out of commission, so I put flats on my road bike to commute on. Then, for the simple reason of being too lazy to change the pedals, I ended up doing a lot of road riding with the flats, including long rides in the mountains. I was expecting to be slow, or realize some other downsides. I was not slower (with one caveat below) and there were no other downsides.

The ONLY downside I see on the road comes when I want to put down as much power as I can, like on a sprint. Being able to pull up does give you more muscles to put into action, and simple means more power available. These are only short bursts, though. However, in a competitive situation, it is VERY relevant. This is why I think they are critical for competitive road racing. Or if you just ride with people who like to see if they can drop you on bursting sprints. So if these situations apply to you, I recommend going with clipless.

Otherwise, I really do not see much point. I do not think they are any more "efficient" over the course of a ride. There have been a few studies which throw doubt on the claim that clipless are more efficient, and I am not aware of any solid ones that actually support the claim that they are. And while there is undeniably more power available for intense bursts, there is no indication that this is more "efficient".

Much of the (in my view inaccurate) conventional wisdom regarding flats vs clipless comes from the fact that most peoples' experience with flats are with sneakers and the crappy cheap pedals that came stock on most bikes. They have never tried a set of really good flat pedals with a big wide platform with pins for traction, and cycling shoes specifically designed for use with flat pedals.

For example, "slipping of the pedals": Use a decent set of flats with pins and a set of 5.10 shoes, and there is no way in hell you are slipping off of it on the road. Think about it: mountain bikers use flats all the time in bad conditions, and the only time they come off the pedals involves either being in the air or when doing some sort of stunts.

The other thing I learned on my own was that one of the biggest advantages I was realizing with clipless shoes and pedals had nothing to do with actually being clipped in.... it was the stiffness of the sole. Again, people's experience with flats is often soft-soled sneakers. Additionally, many of these cheap "bear trap" style pedals make it worse by digging in in the very front and back, making it even more uncomfortable with soft-soled shoes. Shoes meant for flats riding have stiffer soles. I started using a set of mtb shoes without the cleats and it was a vast improvement over sneakers. And good flats have a wide, long platforms that do not cause much in the way of "hot spots" even when used with softer soled shoes.

Also, contrary to roadie dogma, you can maintain an efficient pedal stroke with good flats/shoes pretty much as well as with clipless. The reason is because despite the term "pedaling circles", most of the time you are NOT actually pulling up on the clipless pedals, you are just unweighting them. You do push forward over the top and back across the bottom, but you can do the same with good flats and shoes. Does it take a little more attention to form? Yes, it does until you develop the muscle memory.

So after 20 years riding clipless exclusively on the road, I have mostly gone back to flats. I don't race. But I do long and hard rides. I do, however use them for mountain biking, simply because it is what I am used to in technical terrain. Also, with some of the technical riding I do, I do need to do intense bursts with everything I've got (for example, I have 20 feet to get up enough speed to hop a log). But again, that is just my preference.

Oh, and if you DO go clipless, I find the standard SPD style to be my least favorite. I have preferred every other type of mtb pedal I tried: crank brothers, time mtb pedals, and speedplay frogs (which is what I settled on years ago).

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-08-18 at 08:35 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.