Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Howdy from Iowa

Old 05-08-18, 10:51 PM
SunDog70

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.3; 1992 Schwinn Hurricane MTB; 2018 Trek Domane AL 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy from Iowa

Hey everyone, long time reader but first posts today. I’m an Athena from Iowa, started riding again two years ago after about a 17 year break. My bike stable includes my hybrid Trek DS 8.3 I purchased a couple years ago, along with my new Trek Domane AL 3 road bike I got last month. And my old beloved 92 or 93 Schwinn Hurricane mountain bike which I will get fixed up one of these days once I decide its purpose. Actually any suggestions would be welcome! Commuter? Touring-ish to haul things on longer overnights? Can’t decide.

I do miss my granny gear on my DS though, still getting used to climbing a hill with the road bike and realizing “oh yeah, that’s as low as I can go.” But so far so good. I’ve lost about 10 pounds since fall (220, 5’7”) and need to have even less of me to drag up the hills.

I enjoy trail and low traffic road riding. I’ve enjoyed seeing some of you mention the High Trestle Trail in the past, which is a fantastic trail in our state. I’ll be on it next week for the 48+ Mile Pigtails women’s ride, and am a little apprehensive as I did nothing over the winter and only got riding seriously again a couple weeks ago. We’ll see, at least it is flat and I have very good bike shorts!

I also signed up to do one day of RAGBRAI in July. Will be my first. Happy to hear pointers from any who have done that as well.

Cheers all!
Old 05-09-18, 12:39 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
welcome and post pics of your Domane
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-09-18, 01:55 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
On RAGBRAI, be sure to stop at Beekman's Ice Cream. It's "homemade" right on the trail. Mr. Pork Chop (look for a pink school bus without ears) is also a must stop.
Have a great time.
Old 05-10-18, 12:39 PM
WaldoIA

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo S2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
welcome, what area of Iowa?
Old 05-10-18, 12:41 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by WaldoIA
welcome, what area of Iowa?
The flat part.

Old 05-10-18, 07:25 PM
SunDog70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
The flat part.

I wish! Just did a nice little 12 mile ride tonight and there's this stupid hill I always have to quit and walk up or burst my aorta. It is about 8-9% and just goes too long so that I can only get halfway up. No puking though!

But hello Waldo! I'm from the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area.

And thanks for the RAGBRAI advice! I've heard of Mr. Pork Chop, didn't he die last year? I'm vegetarian in any case, but I will watch for that ice cream.

Huh, I took a pic of my Domane tonight but can't seem to get the forums upload to work. There's probably instructions somewhere I need to dig up.
Old 05-10-18, 07:46 PM
SunDog70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, looks like I need to have 10 posts to add a photo. Sorry to do this, but *post*
Old 05-10-18, 07:49 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by SunDog70
Hey everyone, long time reader but first posts today. I’m an Athena from Iowa, started riding again two years ago after about a 17 year break. My bike stable includes my hybrid Trek DS 8.3 I purchased a couple years ago, along with my new Trek Domane AL 3 road bike I got last month. And my old beloved 92 or 93 Schwinn Hurricane mountain bike which I will get fixed up one of these days once I decide its purpose. Actually any suggestions would be welcome! Commuter? Touring-ish to haul things on longer overnights? Can’t decide.

I do miss my granny gear on my DS though, still getting used to climbing a hill with the road bike and realizing “oh yeah, that’s as low as I can go.” But so far so good. I’ve lost about 10 pounds since fall (220, 5’7”) and need to have even less of me to drag up the hills.

I enjoy trail and low traffic road riding. I’ve enjoyed seeing some of you mention the High Trestle Trail in the past, which is a fantastic trail in our state. I’ll be on it next week for the 48+ Mile Pigtails women’s ride, and am a little apprehensive as I did nothing over the winter and only got riding seriously again a couple weeks ago. We’ll see, at least it is flat and I have very good bike shorts!

I also signed up to do one day of RAGBRAI in July. Will be my first. Happy to hear pointers from any who have done that as well.

Cheers all!
Love the Trestle trail - if you're ok with tackling 9% grades (even if you walk some) the trail will be a walk in the park They predict awesome weather next Saturday.

Oh I see it starts/ends at Jethro's, that's convenient! Are you going all the way to Woodward or just to the bridge?
Old 05-10-18, 08:03 PM
SunDog70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Love the Trestle trail - if you're ok with tackling 9% grades (even if you walk some) the trail will be a walk in the park They predict awesome weather next Saturday.

Oh I see it starts/ends at Jethro's, that's convenient! Are you going all the way to Woodward or just to the bridge?
Hello to another Iowan! Well, I'd LIKE to go to Woodward and back, and then a couple more miles beyond that, to see if I could hit a metric century, which I've never done before. If I was in better riding shape I think it would be no problem, but sitting on my butt all winter and starting late this spring makes me think I'll be lucky just to get to the bridge. But I do think maybe my butt and hands will be the biggest barriers, so we'll see how it goes.

They really feed the women riding on this thing, which kind of amazes me, even in light of typical rides. Huge breakfast at Jethro's to start, and seems like a lot of heavy stuff on the menu. Then huge lunch in Madrid. I'm afraid I'd get bloated and have to lie on the side of the trail for an hour before I could move again.
Old 05-10-18, 08:25 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SunDog70
I wish! Just did a nice little 12 mile ride tonight and there's this stupid hill I always have to quit and walk up or burst my aorta. It is about 8-9% and just goes too long so that I can only get halfway up. No puking though!

But hello Waldo! I'm from the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area.

And thanks for the RAGBRAI advice! I've heard of Mr. Pork Chop, didn't he die last year? I'm vegetarian in any case, but I will watch for that ice cream.

Huh, I took a pic of my Domane tonight but can't seem to get the forums upload to work. There's probably instructions somewhere I need to dig up.
The photo upload thing seems to be broken at the moment but you can upload to imgur (for free) and link the picture there if you'd like.

You'll be getting up that hill soon enough, keep after it.
Old 05-15-18, 07:49 PM
SunDog70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's the new Trek Domane AL 3. It is my first women's specific bicycle, and I can't for the life of me figure out the difference between this and the "regular" version, even comparing the specs side by side on the Trek website. At any rate it is a nice little bike for my first road bike (first since I was a teen anyway). So far it has been comfortable, though I think I need to raise my seat just a tiny bit more.
Old 05-15-18, 08:05 PM
SunDog70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And my Trek DS 8.3, which is now my gravel/trail bike.
Old 05-19-18, 10:50 AM
Brad_AZ

Bikes: Brodie Remus Flat, Pure Fix

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi SunDog,

I did RAGBRAI twice and for a one day jaunt I'd say just ride your regular pace and look out for others. It can be crowded at times and while most riders have been great, I've experienced some less than courteous riders. There is SAG support and I saw a lot of riders helping others, but I'd take a spare tire and a tube or two. Bring cash since there is plenty to eat and drink along the way. If you aren't worried about setting up camp, like we were, I'd suggest stopping at all of the towns along the route and take in the local flavor. Most seem to go out of their way to show off and you can miss that if you are trying to make time.

Although Mr. Pork Chop has passed, his truck lives on. If it is along your route, I'd say stop for one!
Old 05-20-18, 08:46 PM
SunDog70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Brad_AZ that's helpful to hear. I'm still a little apprehensive primarily about the heat as I expect that to be my biggest obstacle - I grew up in the heat and humidity here but still wilt when it reaches a certain point. But at least I live here so not like I am traveling out of my way - if it is too hot/humid I just won't do it, or will shorten my route.
Old 05-22-18, 01:52 PM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts
I've found the heat and humidity does not bother me cycling. I'm usually going fast enough to create a breeze, even in the humid Midwest summers.

Old 05-24-18, 03:45 PM
SunDog70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha I know exactly where that shot was taken! And nice bike.