Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

On custom 'cycle wheel hubs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 02:56 PM
MrInitialMan

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Is it at all common to ask a machine shop to create a custom bicycle hub? What I desire I cannot find--a fixie hub with a disc brake. What I'm thinking of getting is two hubs designed so that a sprocket can be bolted to one side and the brake disc to the other. This will be the rear wheels of a quad, so the wheels must be able to be oriented with the brake disc on the left and the sprocket on the right, or the reverse.
Old 05-13-18, 03:01 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
You will also have to have the cog threads on the left side wheel threaded the reverse of the right side so the cogs don't tend to unthread under pedaling pressure and, of course, threaded for a lock ring on both sides, which will also have to be mirror image threading from each other.
Old 05-13-18, 03:09 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan
Is it at all common to ask a machine shop to create a custom bicycle hub? What I desire I cannot find--a fixie hub with a disc brake. What I'm thinking of getting is two hubs designed so that a sprocket can be bolted to one side and the brake disc to the other. This will be the rear wheels of a quad, so the wheels must be able to be oriented with the brake disc on the left and the sprocket on the right, or the reverse.
I'd say no, it's not at all common. Hubs are so cheap there's really no need for normal applications.

Old tandem rear hubs often had threads on both sides, so they could run a drag brake on the left and a freewheel on the right. So you could use a threaded disc adapter on the left, and all the machining you would need is to cut a lock ring thread on the freewheel side.
You'd have to be careful about braking while backing up because that will unscrew the disc adapter. If there are enough threads, a lock ring on that side wouldn't hurt (but there probably won't be.

A reversible setup will be a lot more complicated. You'd need LH threads on both sides, and you will have to get custom LH thread cogs made too. You might want to reconsider your proposed solution.
Old 05-13-18, 03:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
white industries in california, may be able to build a hub for your needs, a small enough shop to be flexible.

With the CNC production to combine the product features their splined cog interface and a 6 bolt disc mount in this case...

really odd thing is, As I imagine it, Unless rear end is a fork , supported on both ends (like a bike wheel?
both drive and brake have to be on the same side, Right?

HUBS ? White Industries

earliest cars had final drive to the wheels , by chains... drum brakes.
or just a shoe pressing against the tire..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-14-18 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-13-18, 04:51 PM
MrInitialMan

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Earliest cars had final drive to the wheels , by chains...
That's what I'm doing in my quad.
Old 05-13-18, 05:19 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
It all depends on how much $$$ you wanna spend, a hub like that is not impossible to make. However, I think having a flip flop hub, then having the machine shop create a lock ring with the standard 6 bolt pattern drilled into the modified lock ring is much cheaper. You'll have a lot of good results if you take the time to get careful measurements. Go out and get a cheap 6" caliper and a steel rule.
Old 05-13-18, 05:34 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Here's how I would do it. I'd go get two Disc freehubs then do one of things in this https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...xperience.html to them.... ie weld up the freehubs then add a single sprocket adapter.

Last edited by Trevtassie; 05-14-18 at 02:19 AM. Reason: spellin
Old 05-13-18, 10:10 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
If you're building a quad, why not use one of the commercially-produced two-rear-wheel conversions with a differential in the middle?
Utah Trikes offers a "freewheel" differential (not a true diff): Utah Trikes - UTCustom Freewheel Posi Differential
Samagaga makes a true differential. I believe it comes on some Hase trikes: SAMAGAGA

OTOH, if you have your heart set on some peculiar design, Surly offers their "Ultra New" hub with a fixed gear (with lockring) and disc mount:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...16&category=80

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 05-21-18, 12:28 AM
MrInitialMan

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
If you're building a quad, why not use one of the commercially-produced two-rear-wheel conversions with a differential in the middle?
Utah Trikes offers a "freewheel" differential (not a true diff): Utah Trikes - UTCustom Freewheel Posi Differential
Samagaga makes a true differential. I believe it comes on some Hase trikes: SAMAGAGA

OTOH, if you have your heart set on some peculiar design, Surly offers their "Ultra New" hub with a fixed gear (with lockring) and disc mount:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=53016&category=80

I'll take two of them.

No seriously, I just ordered two.
Old 05-21-18, 07:25 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
With a fixed gear, your legs can already function as a rear wheel brake. Why do you need a disc? Put the disc brake on the fork; the front brake does most of the work anyway. Once your rear wheel starts to skid, it doesn't matter how much more potential braking power you can apply; you've already reached the limit of what will help you stop.
Old 05-21-18, 12:10 PM
MrInitialMan

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
With a fixed gear, your legs can already function as a rear wheel brake. Why do you need a disc? Put the disc brake on the fork; the front brake does most of the work anyway. Once your rear wheel starts to skid, it doesn't matter how much more potential braking power you can apply; you've already reached the limit of what will help you stop.
Because when this thing is going to weight between 150-200 lbs, I'd like brakes on all four wheels, thanks.
Old 05-21-18, 12:33 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Because when this thing is going to weight between 150-200 lbs, I'd like brakes on all four wheels, thanks.
Your initial post didn't make it clear that the goal was to use this hub on something other than a fixed gear bicycle.
Old 05-21-18, 12:43 PM
MrInitialMan

Your initial post didn't make it clear that the goal was to use this hub on something other than a fixed gear bicycle.
Oh. Sorry about that.
Old 05-21-18, 10:51 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
He did say it was going on a "quad". Since one of my friends has one of these, I knew what he was talking about:
Utah Trikes - UTCustom Catrike Fat Cat-4 Quad

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..