Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Will an Electra Cruiser 7D give me a good enough workout?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 01:01 PM
Bookgirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I decided on the Electra Cruiser 7D, 7 speed because based on my research it will handle my weight without modifications, I really want to sit upright, the price point is nice and honestly, I LOVE the way it looks so much. It makes me happy just thinking about this cute little bike. So I'm not really looking to be talked into something different. But I do want to know if I'm going to get a good workout out of it. As much as I would just walking around the neighborhood or on a treadmill? I know it won't be like doing a 60 min cardio class like I did pre-kid. But if it'll be equal to or greater than walking around the block for 45 min a day, I'm good with that. The LBS guy (who was so nice) mentioned how this wouldn't be the bike for me if I wanted to start doing 10 miles a day...but why? what happens at 10 miles, do the wheels fly off? My goal is to work up to 45 min/day but that could take a bit as I haven't worked out in awhile.
Old 05-14-18, 03:16 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You go up a steep enough hill and your 60 min cardio class will feel like playing with children. Especially on an Electra Cruiser. The bike is good for it. The question is whether you are!

10-12 mi. is a limit frequently met by people. It's nothing on the bike that flies off. Your derriere flies off...

Seriously now. Look at the Electra as a beginner's bike, a fun bike, that will get you fairly painlessly to a certain level of fitness.

Once you do 8-12 mi. without even thinking about it, you will want to do more. 8-12 mi. will not lose you weight. 20+ on a routine basis will.

The problem is that the upright position transmits all the shocks through your derriere up the spine. Thump thump thump. Something that you don't think much on a short ride becomes painful, like Chinese Water Torture. Your tailbone HURTS!

At that stage, you will seek bikes with more aggressive stance, seek these thin saddles that you can't conceive why people ride on them and who knows, one day you may be grinding gravel on a 29er, doing single track or flashing through on a road bike.

Don't hurry this process. If you do, you will likely fail. A road bike with the skinny saddle 2-3" above the handlebars will serve to disappoint you from biking at present. On the Electra, you will feel like you are riding a cloud.

Good luck!

Last edited by GerryinHouston; 05-14-18 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-15-18, 06:17 AM
mthorste

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The short answer is yes!

I had a Electra Townie 7D for about a year and rode up to 50 miles on a single ride and while it is not the most efficient way to ride those 50 miles, it works for me who like you needs something that will support my weight while trying to lose. I have lost over 80lbs since last June combining a health modified diet and riding 4 to 5 times a week. You need to get your heart rate up if you want to see results so a leisurely ride around the block probably won't get it done. I now have an Electra Townie 21D but plan on upgrading again next year when I've dropped another 75 to 80lbs to a road bike as an award for losing the weight. Good luck and stick with it. If you like the bike you'll ride it more!
Old 05-15-18, 10:03 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by mthorste
You need to get your heart rate up if you want to see results so a leisurely ride around the block probably won't get it done.
This
Old 05-15-18, 10:19 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Anything is better than nothing. Cycling is about as low of impact (on joints) exercise as you can get... swimming being the lowest.

So a great choice to start putting more workout than walking. Typically riding will get you easily into the mid 100s, while walking is generally low 100s.

This bike will either:

1. Last you forever because you don't take it past 45 min of riding.
2. Last until you decide to get serious and go longer distances.

Either way, you win!

Btw, you don't have to give up cute for functionality, Rivendall makes a near copy of that bike with serious riding ability. And then there is Retrotec, which makes a step through design that can do 100 miles, or go gravel roads, or even go off road. Retrotec is fully hand built, one at time by one guy, built to your taste.

A serious step up in price for both, so I am not suggesting you change your mind now, just wanted to give you a taste of what is in the art of the possible.
Old 05-15-18, 10:38 AM
SunDog70

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.3; 1992 Schwinn Hurricane MTB; 2018 Trek Domane AL 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bookgirl
I decided on the Electra Cruiser 7D, 7 speed because based on my research it will handle my weight without modifications, I really want to sit upright, the price point is nice and honestly, I LOVE the way it looks so much. It makes me happy just thinking about this cute little bike. So I'm not really looking to be talked into something different. But I do want to know if I'm going to get a good workout out of it. As much as I would just walking around the neighborhood or on a treadmill? I know it won't be like doing a 60 min cardio class like I did pre-kid. But if it'll be equal to or greater than walking around the block for 45 min a day, I'm good with that. The LBS guy (who was so nice) mentioned how this wouldn't be the bike for me if I wanted to start doing 10 miles a day...but why? what happens at 10 miles, do the wheels fly off? My goal is to work up to 45 min/day but that could take a bit as I haven't worked out in awhile.
But which color did you choose?!?!
Old 05-20-18, 09:55 PM
Bookgirl

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

You are the best! Thanks so much everyone!! Oh and I chose polar blue!!
Old 06-08-18, 09:03 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I have seen this "electric bikes do not give exercise" argument before. My response to someone asking this question is to just remember that you need to input power in order for the electric motor to give a boost. This will let you go further and faster but you still get a decent workout based on time ridden. Come to think of it I was looking at one of these but decided on a different electric bike.
Old 06-08-18, 02:29 PM
jhoblho

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike that you like is the bike you will ride. I bought a Bionx kit to fit on a Montague folder two years ago. I have put less that 150 miles on it, as it is a bad fit and my hands go numb in less than 10 miles. I've gained significant weight in those past two years, so now I'm trying to improve this bike before considering others- Jones H Bar handlebars for hopefully a more upright position, a more comfortable seat, etc.
The pedal assist is so nice, but the base bike has to be comfortable for you. If you like the ride, you will use the bike. If you don't, you won't

BTW- I get exercise on this bike- just because you have pedal assist doesn't mean that you will not work. You will enjoy the work you are doing more, though.

Last edited by jhoblho; 06-08-18 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add something I forgot
Old 06-10-18, 05:42 PM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
You will get a good work out when you’re getting started but it does have its limits and it will get easy enough to only be moderate exercise eventually. Make sure to take a route with some hills as you get further along. Cycling has made me want to explore other forms of exercise to make me better at cycling.
Old 06-12-18, 02:03 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
I have seen this "electric bikes do not give exercise" argument before. My response to someone asking this question is to just remember that you need to input power in order for the electric motor to give a boost. This will let you go further and faster but you still get a decent workout based on time ridden. Come to think of it I was looking at one of these but decided on a different electric bike.
Seems like a bit off topic (but I agree with those that say, buy what your like, ride more .

But on this side topic:
Is e-cycling good exercise? | ScienceNordic
Quikbytes:Same Great Workout, Just Faster and More Fun

For me, the ebike makes it practical to bike daily (winter, summer, meetings, shopping). Yes, it's slightly less of a workout ... but the time delta is enough to make it happen a *lot* more often; Indeed, I gave up my car entirely (about 19 months back).

Last edited by Khb; 06-12-18 at 02:15 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 06-12-18, 04:46 PM
Sudovoodoo80

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Electra Amsterdam 3 speed, no problem to do 20+ miles on it. Where these lay-back style frames struggle is large hills, because you can't get out of the saddle to push hard. But if you don't plan to tackle large hills, you should be just fine on an electra and yes it will give you a good work out. I like the fact that I can touch the ground with a flat foot while in the saddle of the electra, makes it excellent for the crowded boardwalks at the shore where you might have to dodge lots of obstacles like kids and walkers and tourists. Also an excellent rail trail rider.
Old 06-12-18, 06:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by Bookgirl
You are the best! Thanks so much everyone!! Oh and I chose polar blue!!
it is required that you post a pic of the new bike when you get your hands on it

Old 06-13-18, 11:17 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mthorste
You need to get your heart rate up if you want to see results so a leisurely ride around the block probably won't get it done.
Exactly. It's said that you need 30 minutes of heart-pumping exercise a day for it to be beneficial (excluding rest days, of course), so don't think a few short rides around the neighborhood will make a huge difference. I built myself up to 10 miles a day which takes me just under 45 minutes. It must be having an effect because a few years ago I had borderline high blood pressure, and I had it checked a couple days ago and it was nearly perfect.

Also, don't think that you can outride a bad diet. Use bicycling in conjunction with a healthy diet and you'll really notice the pounds dropping off. But if you don't change your diet, you're not going to notice much difference. Even riding 10 miles a day and longer rides on weekends, if I eat the wrong foods or eat too much I see it on the scales.

So while I think the 7D is a good beginner bike, you'll likely eventually want to "upgrade" to a good road bike or hybrid or something as you start losing weight, getting toned, and riding longer distances.
Old 06-19-18, 04:07 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I'm assuming the "Electra" bike, is not an "Electric" bike, which is throwing some confusion in those posts above.

A bicycle is an efficiency-improving machine. If you care to, you can pedal slowly around on level ground and probably get less exercise than if you were walking. That's not a bicycle problem, that's a riding-style problem. So ride however far and fast you need to get a good workout, get your heart rate up, etc. I think sometimes people have the idea that cycling is "easy exercise", but if you make it easy, you also don't get the benefit, either.

I rode my Worksman cruiser for a couple of years. It was a good reliable bike. I started riding about 10 miles a day on it, and gradually increased that. Longest ride I did was 131 miles. If you do a lot of riding, you'll want to upgrade to something else at some point, but a bike of that style won't keep you from riding far. For longer rides, comfort becomes more critical, and you may find issues with saddle comfort or hand numbness or something like that, that doesn't happen at 10 miles.
Old 06-21-18, 08:27 AM
Piperflyer

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I’m looking at a cruiser myself for a second bike. In Tulsa the city has free ones you can borrow and I would ride those 10miles with my kids at an average pace of 9 - 10mph. Now I have a comax anyroad (love it) but running 10 miles on it at a pace of 15-18mph average speed and my legs feel a little more of a burn. Now I’ve only been riding it for a few weeks so I’m still “conditioning” but point is I think cruiser vs a road type bike you also use different leg muscles.

Just ride and have fun. Any activity combined with a diet will improve you just matters on how quickly you want to see those results. Riding for me is good excercise but it also help my phycologlical aspect by getting out and clearing your head so to speak.

My cruiser I’m looking for now I want it to have racks to carry little light loads when I’m out with kids or a quick run to the store.
Old 06-30-18, 08:36 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I'm assuming the "Electra" bike, is not an "Electric" bike, which is throwing some confusion in those posts above.

A bicycle is an efficiency-improving machine. If you care to, you can pedal slowly around on level ground and probably get less exercise than if you were walking. That's not a bicycle problem, that's a riding-style problem. So ride however far and fast you need to get a good workout, get your heart rate up, etc. I think sometimes people have the idea that cycling is "easy exercise", but if you make it easy, you also don't get the benefit, either.

I rode my Worksman cruiser for a couple of years. It was a good reliable bike. I started riding about 10 miles a day on it, and gradually increased that. Longest ride I did was 131 miles. If you do a lot of riding, you'll want to upgrade to something else at some point, but a bike of that style won't keep you from riding far. For longer rides, comfort becomes more critical, and you may find issues with saddle comfort or hand numbness or something like that, that doesn't happen at 10 miles.
Electra makes both regular and e-bikes, I think that the OP is talking about a non-electric bike. The Cruiser 7D is a non-electric bike.

This bike should work fine for you. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 07-01-18, 01:41 PM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I rode one for a couple of years before I wanted to go faster and further. Excellent bike for "getting back in to it".
Old 07-07-18, 09:15 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
I'm glad you feel the need to defend your choices, however Electra 7D is a regular ol pedal bike.
Old 07-08-18, 12:26 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I know it is a regular bike but that message was meant for skype to someone else. Bloody windows 10 mouse issues I am having as of late clicking on wrong things etc.