Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What should my coach be doing for me?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 03:33 AM
Sarequads

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a coach, i think he is brilliant but i am fairly new to cycling and so i dont know if my guy is good or not. I have my first race coming up next month. What sort of things should he be doing for me? Everything is done through training peaks, text and phonecall, we have not yet face to face yet but will next month at this race. thanks
Old 05-15-18, 06:53 AM
Altimis

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmm coaching without face to face?

I dunno... if you already hired him, he should be at least, give you motivation, instruction how to eat and train and pour on knowledge about performance gains etc.

Motivate is the most important? I guess. Did he motivated you enough? I think that the point of having coaching.
Old 05-15-18, 08:16 AM
Sarequads

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimis
Hmm coaching without face to face?

I dunno... if you already hired him, he should be at least, give you motivation, instruction how to eat and train and pour on knowledge about performance gains etc.

Motivate is the most important? I guess. Did he motivated you enough? I think that the point of having coaching.

Im converting from bodybuilding to cycling, motivation is the absolute least of my worries, if i needed that to do a given activity then i wouldnt do it. Im looking for a checklist type thing.
Old 05-15-18, 08:14 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I am no expert, I’ve only worked with two coaches ever. One was terrible and the current one is great.

What my coach does for me:
Assist with setting goals and prioritizing races
Set my training schedule, adjust as needed
Provide race strategy input and feedback
Resource for equipment choices and help troubleshooting mechanical issues
Ability to order some products at a discounted price (nutrition, power meters, bikes)
Moral support when needed
Advise on aero position

Almost all of this is done remotely. I have spent a fair bit of time with him over the years (I’ve been with him 3.5 years) but that is mostly because we’ve become friends. We’ve ridden together socially, I’ve stayed at his house (he lives around 500 miles away), we’ve done aerotesting together, he’s worked with me on mountain bike skills. We’ve had many phone conversations and text each other commonly. BUT the official deal between us is that I email him data once a week, and get my schedule and feedback via email later that day.
Old 05-16-18, 07:41 AM
BloomBikeShop
BloomBikeShop.com

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
What it boils down to is that the coach should be helping you meet/achieve your goals. That could be anything listed here already - Heathpack wrote a good list. Some people need motivation, moral support, and/or accountability. Some people need to be told when to rest because they're doing too much. Others just need a detailed list of what workout to do, and when to do it (and any adjustments due to scheduling, illness, etc.)

If you're not sure what you need, a good coach will figure out what you need from him/her, and deliver that.
Old 05-17-18, 09:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I want a coach like this guy...

A trainer teaches and guides you toward the best technique that works for you. But a coach motivates you to use that training in competition, even when you're tired, in pain and frustrated.

If you're lucky, one person might possess both attributes as effective trainer and coach. But it doesn't always work out that way.
Old 05-30-18, 06:49 AM
DJH8098

Bikes: 2012 Surly Karate Monkey SS, 2012 Surly Cross Check, 2016 Litespeed T3, 2015 Niner RLT 9SS

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Sarequads I coach athletes with trainingpeaks as well. The majority of my athletes opt in for email communications only, but quite a few have skype calls with me as needed. The calls usually happen every two or four weeks. As per things that you should expect from your coach: Punctual posting of workouts and emails, clear and concise information, a training guide to what your year will look like, a basic explanation of periodization or the type of training that they use (something like the photo below), as well as everything everyone else has stated thus far. Also engage your coach and ask what he/she has learned that was new in the last year, most coaches are always striving to learn new material. If they see that you are interested in something that they have just learned about they may be willing to try it with you.

Old 05-30-18, 10:15 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I want a coach like this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUizSX0EwQI
lol, awesome.......