Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ever have spousal approval of your bike budget "level up"?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ever have spousal approval of your bike budget "level up"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 06:58 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
My wife's bike cost 4 times what my bike did, and I don't have a cheap bike
Same here. She's got better everything and yet she doesn't ride as much as I do. But I'm not complaining, I'm mostly happy with my gear.

By the way, $1000 in January 2008 is worth $1182 now (almost 20% inflation). 10 years doesn't seem like much time...
Old 05-16-18, 09:35 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
%100 joint accounts here, and my wife and I both buy what we want. Large expenditures will be discussed. The key is we are both quite frugal, so money has never been an issue for us. Savings continues to increase.
This pretty much describes the setup my wife and I have. Everything is shared, and any purchase over $200 we both have to agree on (under $200, we just buy it). The key is, we're both reasonable and financially responsible people.

I can understand arrangements like jefnvk has. Those also make sense and if it works then great. What I don't get, are the people that think because they are the "breadwinner" that they somehow should be solely in charge of the finances, or people who don't have at least a "main" joint account. Marriage is supposed to be a partnership. I could never live that way.
Old 05-16-18, 10:40 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I've been the sole income earner in our marriage since we had kids - except for some part-time work my wife has done occasionally. She does have a checking account although, the way we manage our finances, it hasn't been really necessary. Even though I earn the outside income, I've never thought of it as "my money", rather, it's our money. I do manage the finances in terms of paying bills, thinking about retirement, health insurance options etc. although it's more that it fell naturally to me when we got married and she moved to my home state and then stayed at home to care for home and kids. But by "managing the money" I don't micro-manage or dictate what she does ... that would really be distasteful IMO in a marriage. We're both generally very frugal and have simple tastes (I say "generally" because my cycling is the notable exception). We live below our means, no debt, no designer labels, drive cars to the ground, etc. Heck, I even wear those free T-shirts I get from all the charity bike rides I join - or, if the color is so embarrassing that even I wouldn't wear it, I use them for rags when I lube by bike chain. I work at home so I don't spend much on clothes ... I've actually gotten to the point where my wife has thrown away clothes that she was embarrassed to have me wearing alone working in the basement!

Our philosophy has been, we're in a partnership and we may emphasize different roles in our home but those roles are important in their own way. My role includes the part about earning money and hers is, well, pretty much everything else that's important. We do check in with each other if there's a big expenditure coming up but I can't think of a time where either of us has vetoed a decision on a personal expenditure. Maybe for things like appliances, or improvements to the house, we'll have a back and forth about the approach, how much it makes sense to spend, etc. But we're in a place (35 years of marriage) where we trust each others judgement on personal purchases. I'll let her know I'm thinking of getting a new bike since that's a big expenditure and she may think it's kind of crazy to spend that much on a bike but she knows how much joy it gives and it doesn't cause any sacrifice in any important area of our lives. And, as I always say ... I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, gamble, or run around with other women so, all in all, cycling ends up being a comparatively inexpensive habit

Last edited by dennis336; 05-16-18 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-17-18, 01:23 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

For those of you who have wives that are equal partners, suggest this to your LBS ��. Mine told me that they have had such requests a few times per year.
Old 05-17-18, 06:15 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you have to ask your wife permission to buy a bike you need a new wife.
Old 05-17-18, 06:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
When it comes to cycling gear, we buy everything in pairs. Two bicycles, two jerseys, two helmets ...
Old 05-17-18, 06:39 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
my long time live-in gf and i buy whatever we want whenever we want, except neither of us has a credit card and our only long term debt is the house(which i waaaay cheaper than the rent we were paying). if we dont have the money, we dont buy it. hence we have way cool vintage stuff.
Old 05-17-18, 07:16 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'd say "no", never had spousal approval for a "level up"bike budget, but I've never upped my budget. Not like folks mean on this thread anyway. On the other hand I don't recall there being any questions about any bike-related purchases either. I think the key, more than complicated financial strategies, is keeping it reasonable.
Old 05-18-18, 03:32 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
What is this "spousal approval" of which you speak?
Old 05-18-18, 06:13 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife rides too so we have about $20,000 worth of bikes having nightly slumber parties in our spare room!

She won't allow me to leave them in the garage. She's thought about setting up the spare room for her mother when she visits but the bikes win!
Old 05-18-18, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
"I will do anything for love, but I won't do that" - Meatloaf?
Old 05-18-18, 10:00 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I can't comment on why your spouse suddenly isn't giving you a hard time about bike budget.

I just bought a really nice (really nice) superautomatic coffee machine. Put your cup in, press the coffee button, and it grinds the beans, makes the coffee, and dumps the grounds into a little bin. Didn't know if I was going to have an issue, but after my wife tasted the coffee and said "Wow, that's really good coffee!" I know I wasn't sleeping on the couch.