Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Older Carbon

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 03:40 PM
davzimmermann

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone X05, '04 Cannondale F2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Older Carbon

I had started out looking for a vintage steel, but now, I am beginning to eye older carbon. I am uncertain how much I trust the older carbon. I had read that the clear coat protected the carbon fiber, preventing it from breaking down.

All of that is a lead in to this bike. Thoughts on the price?

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d...589783061.html

Last edited by davzimmermann; 05-15-18 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-16-18, 01:58 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
If its the right size and there is no damage on the frame, i think that's a very good price for a 90's carbon framed Trek in VGC.
Good thing about this bike is, Trek had pretty much perfected their design for lugged carbon frames when they made this bike, so the possibility of the frame coming apart is very much less than their earlier versions of the bike, which was a very rare occurrence to start with, that was usually caused by abuse and neglect to the bike, in most cases..
The same money would only buy you a lower end steel bike, Not sure, but it is possible that this later 2000 series CF bike could still have been the top of the line when it was sold by Trek.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 05-16-18, 09:24 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
As long as theres no damage dings or scraps to the carbon tubes and the brifter's work good the price is fairly good. These were nice frames that didn't have any issues as said Trek had been making bounded carbon and or alloy stuff for a long time when this bike was made and had pretty much perfected the process to the point that ride quality and durability were on par with or better than other top end lightweight racers when this bike was made.
Old 05-20-18, 05:47 PM
davzimmermann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weight and Carbon

Originally Posted by zukahn1
As long as theres no damage dings or scraps to the carbon tubes and the brifter's work good the price is fairly good. These were nice frames that didn't have any issues as said Trek had been making bounded carbon and or alloy stuff for a long time when this bike was made and had pretty much perfected the process to the point that ride quality and durability were on par with or better than other top end lightweight racers when this bike was made.
Now for the embarrassing question--what kind of weight limits do these bikes have? I am not a lithe, 1% body fat cat one racer.
Old 05-20-18, 06:18 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
I am not 1% body fat either at 158 pounds. more like 12%.
If you are over 200 pounds you will need a bike that can support your weight. I don't want to say this bike won't, but I would be cautious.
Old 05-20-18, 06:35 PM
davzimmermann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I am not 1% body fat either at 158 pounds. more like 12%.
If you are over 200 pounds you will need a bike that can support your weight. I don't want to say this bike won't, but I would be cautious.
A diplomatic and informative response! Thanks on both accounts.
Old 05-20-18, 07:33 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
I would say the conservative rider weight limit is about 225-250 so more than enough for most riders Trek stated it as 250 on there bounded carbon frames which was pretty much industry standard for for road bike at the time.
Old 05-20-18, 07:40 PM
StarBiker

^
Why does it have to be a road bike? Don't hesitate to spend a little money. Get something that is comfortable for you. Not some inexpensive older Carbon bike because it's Carbon. Get what works best. Later on you can move up to a newer used Carbon bike if you get serious enough. Just my two cents.
Old 05-20-18, 08:10 PM
davzimmermann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StarBiker
^
Why does it have to be a road bike? Don't hesitate to spend a little money. Get something that is comfortable for you. Not some inexpensive older Carbon bike because it's Carbon. Get what works best. Later on you can move up to a newer used Carbon bike if you get serious enough. Just my two cents.
It has less to do with carbon than nostalgia. I have been looking for a vintage road bike from the 80/90.

My cross is is perfect for commutes and even longer rides. But I’d like to get my ha do on a nice road bike with a good gruppo. It feds the poser in me—as well as that longing I had looking at the things when my bike budget went to raising twins.

Of course the fit is important, but I’d just be using it for short runs to the coffee shop or library. The goal is not necessarily pragmatic.
Old 05-20-18, 08:32 PM
StarBiker

Well if I was flying by you on my Gary Fisher 29r what would happen to the Poser in you? Plus I would be jumping off of curbs and doing all kinds of things you can't do on a road bike.
And I have an 89' Trek 660, and a Scott Speedster. Nothing like the 29r.
Old 05-20-18, 08:39 PM
StarBiker

Poser on this bad boy..........https://www.ebay.com/itm/Salsa-El-Ma...UAAOSwhIZbAJCM

Hot Tomally!
Old 05-29-18, 11:52 AM
davzimmermann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went a Different Direction

I found this on CL. The fit is good—not perfect, but good.

It was $75–which leaves room in the budget for some upgrades (handlebars).

I know there is some serious distrust of the old thumb shifters, but the shifting is clean, smooth.

Old 05-29-18, 02:51 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
In my opinion, used carbon is for the guys who go to Vegas and come back richer.
​​​​​​​Yes, that opinion leaves a lot of bikes to others.
Old 05-30-18, 08:58 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by davzimmermann

I know there is some serious distrust of the old thumb shifters, but the shifting is clean, smooth.

I've never seen distrust of old thumb shifters here, if anything, many people love them. Its the stuff Shimano came up with AFTER thumb shifters that suck IMHO. Thumbies are nearly indestructible. Rapid fire not so much.

I keep an eye our for thumb shifters. They are on my short list of things to grab: bar end shifters, thumb shifters, Suntour Vx RDs, dirt drop quill stems, north road bars, Sugino cranksets.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 05-30-18, 09:22 AM
davzimmermann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrk101
I've never seen distrust of old thumb shifters here, if anything, many people love them. Its the stuff Shimano came up with AFTER thumb shifters that suck IMHO. Thumbies are nearly indestructible. Rapid fire not so much.

I keep an eye our for thumb shifters. They are on my short list of things to grab: bar end shifters, thumb shifters, Suntour Vx RDs, dirt drop quill stems, north road bars, Sugino cranksets.
I had never used the things, and I am not sure when/where I read the hating. But I am seriously enjoying them. (The old catalogue 'encourages' the rides to shift from friction to indexed because it is fun--and it is.) These things are 20 odd years old, and the shifting is still clean, reliable, clear.

I definitely need to swap out the handlebars for some with a wider grip.