Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Panaracer Pasela vs. Clement Strada LGG

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-18, 09:14 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts

Size: 25mm
Roads: Road or smooth dirt/gravel
Bike: CAAD10

Other suggestions outside these two tires must have tan walls. I have the Celements and love them but am wondering what else in tan walls is out there that would be great for the occasional gravel/dirt.
Old 05-19-18, 09:25 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The tan-walled Clemency tires are only 60 TPI. I haven't tried them, but I have compared their black-walled 60TPI Strada to the 120TPI; the latter is much better, but not nearly as nice as Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II.

As for tan-walled tires, I just picked up some VITTORIA CORSA G+ CLINCHER GRAPHENE ROAD TYREs based on a recommendation here, to replace my Stradas. Mounting them was a bit of a challenge. I haven't yet had a chance to ride them.

These were recommended to me in this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...7-bianchi.html

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 05-19-18 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-19-18, 10:09 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Clement Strada (120 tpi) in 32mms and love them.
Old 05-19-18, 03:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Maybe Vittoria's Corsa Controls with the tan sidewall can be a third option for you. In general, most would consider 25s a bit narrow if you intend some dirt/gravel -- doable yes, but there's nothing ideal for this width that will be good for mostly road but some gravel.
Old 05-19-18, 11:54 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Been riding the LGG 25s for the past few years on my old 1985 bike, and I like them a lot. I haven’t done the Panaracers, but I’ve had Gatorskins on a few bikes. I think the LGGs are smoother and durable. But make sure you get the 120 tpi model. I’d definitely get another set.
Old 05-20-18, 12:49 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Money is no object, Challenge Strada Pro Clincher. 300tpi, handmade casing, and you pay for it.
Money is still no object, but I want a tire so light it will get punctures from sharp glances: Compass Cayuse Pass Extralight
Whoa, maybe not that expensive! C'mon: Vittoria Corsa G+.
Money is the only object: Michelin Dynamic Classic. You can literally get a pair for $35 shipped.
Money is an object, and I'm willing to trade some weight for some flat protection: Panaracer Pasela ProTite.
Money is an object, I'd like some flat protection, but not 300g tires: Panaracer Gravelking 700x23 or 700x26, depending on rim width.

End of the day, the Clement Strada LGG is only interesting in the 120tpi blackwall. The 60tpi tanwall version is simply not competitively priced. As to the tanwall Pasela, if it's the non-ProTite, it rolls reasonably well, but will flat pretty easily and the sidewalls aren't the toughest on the block. Also as mentioned, 700x25-26 isn't gonna do you any favors off the blacktop. I have some 700x28 Panaracers on one bike, and they get pretty squidgy even on hardpack.
Old 05-20-18, 06:45 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Money is no object, Challenge Strada Pro Clincher. 300tpi, handmade casing, and you pay for it.
Money is still no object, but I want a tire so light it will get punctures from sharp glances: Compass Cayuse Pass Extralight
Money is the only object: Michelin Dynamic Classic. You can literally get a pair for $35 shipped.
Money is an object, and I'm willing to trade some weight for some flat protection: Panaracer Pasela ProTite.
Money is an object, I'd like some flat protection, but not 300g tires: Panaracer Gravelking 700x23 or 700x26, depending on rim width.

End of the day, the Clement Strada LGG is only interesting in the 120tpi blackwall. The 60tpi tanwall version is simply not competitively priced. As to the tanwall Pasela, if it's the non-ProTite, it rolls reasonably well, but will flat pretty easily and the sidewalls aren't the toughest on the block. Also as mentioned, 700x25-26 isn't gonna do you any favors off the blacktop. I have some 700x28 Panaracers on one bike, and they get pretty squidgy even on hardpack.
Nice review.
Old 05-23-18, 02:51 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

Thank you for this! I ended up getting the Panaracer Gravelkings in 700 x 26 Brown sidewalls. I appreciate the help guys. I will give an update once they are mounted and ridden.