Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Sodbuster

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-18, 10:13 AM
sodbuster72

Bikes: '85 Bianchi Sport SS, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sodbuster

Hello Virtual Friends,
I have been lurking here for sometime, gathering information, and I guess it's about time I actually joined the "club." I'm 45, I am 6'6" and close to 300#. In spite of what you might think from the latter number, I'm a pretty active person. When I've lived in areas with a competition pool available, I've been an active swimmer - sometimes logging more than 1,000,000 yards of pretty intense work per year. I farm now, out in a very rural area, and we don't have a year-round pool. I love swimming, and I used to be a competitive swimmer at the college level. I've only been an occasional cyclist. I used to have a '99 Specialized Allez that I bought new. I had to switch out wheels because I kept busting the plastic spokes. This was all fine after I had a wheel with 32 metal spokes. Anyhow, I rode that bike quite a bit - did metric centuries a couple of times, and then moved to a place where riding on roads was quite a bit less safe. All of the little plastic parts inside the brifters went bad, and I wanted to ride again a couple of years ago. I contacted the LBS and was told that replacing the brifters would run $650 or something. I didn't think it was worth spending that on a several year old entry-level bike, so I sold it and found a Bianchi Sport SS, which I really like. I ride it around almost solely for exercise. Where I live now, it is reasonably safe to take it on the road. I ride three or four times a week, usually 15-20 miles, rolling about 17 or 18 pace. My longest recent ride was 42 miles, and I average about 60 miles per week. So that's the kind of riding I do. I'm trying to exercise and drop a few pounds and stay in some kind of shape. The Sport SS is absolutely fine for that and I really like it. It's simple enough that I'm not going to have to dump $650 in it to keep it rolling, and in a pinch, I can do some work on it myself. There really is no LBS - the "local" shop is 45 minutes away by car, so it is a pretty big time investment to have a bike shop work on it. I do minor stuff by necessity - and work on my kids' bikes, because I don't have hours and days to drive over to Merced and have someone else do it!
My kids go with me on my local routes, sometimes. I am thinking about maybe doing a 40ish mile t-shirt type ride with some of them one of these weekends. Maybe a metric century, but I don't think they're quite ready for that yet. It's a big deal to get to one of those for us, though. They're all 2+ hours away, and I'd likely have to get a motel, etc. So as it is, I mostly run around on my local mapped out routes here, making a competition of my rides with myself using the data from the trusty ol' CatEye Velo7. That may be more information than you wanted to know... but hey, it's an introduction thread, right?
Old 05-19-18, 10:18 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums. Glad you joined us. Whereabouts do you live? Maybe you can find folks to ride with in the Regional subforums.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-19-18, 01:24 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums SB72!
Old 05-19-18, 10:53 PM
sodbuster72

Bikes: '85 Bianchi Sport SS, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in Dos Palos, CA. There are quite a few rides up around Sacramento, but that's about 2 1/2 hrs.
Old 05-20-18, 12:24 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You can also find folks to ride with in the Northern California regional subforum. Have fun.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-20-18, 08:59 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Welcome from another NorCal member!! Contra Costa County!!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-21-18, 03:04 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Welcome! Enjoy the ride!

Old 05-22-18, 02:55 PM
LAJ
So it is