Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hints and tricks thread

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hints and tricks thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 07:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
question #5 doesn't let us select more than one item
the question "How much would you pay for a safety device for your bike" is not specific enough, do you mean a light? a lock?
Old 06-28-17, 09:44 AM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
When adjusting the rear derailleur with the help of the adjustment barrel, the derailleur will move in the same direction as the top of the barrel.
Old 07-01-17, 10:32 AM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
This one is not really a bike maintenance tip but something useful for those with the base model Park Tool repair stand. You can 3d print your own add-ons (if you have a printer or know someone who does).

Leg clip for storage:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1272344

Tool caddy:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1275681

Hex wrench bracket:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1695559

Misc tool holder:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49227

My brother printed a leg clip for me and it works like a charm!

Old 07-03-17, 08:17 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
That's awesome! My local public library has a 3D printer for rent, I don't have a Park stand, but I'll look around at other thingiverse designs to see what might be useful
Old 07-04-17, 09:15 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Read up to make sure you know the difference between foot pounds and inch pounds and that you have the right torque wrench...before tightening those dinky bike bolts that seem to come loose at the wrong time if not tightened perfectly or break off if over tightened...
Old 07-31-17, 09:05 PM
jbw57

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 3 / 2016 Felt Z85

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like Caig products for electrical connections, batteries, lights, etc....they have a host of products for many electrical projects around the bike or whatever.

https://caig.com/
Old 08-15-17, 05:47 AM
ZuniCycle

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
U lock mounted on the bottom of the downtube

I couldn't find an example of anyone else doing this, so I thought I'd share it. I've been riding with the U lock attached this way for more than 100 miles and haven't had a problem. This way it's not taking up other useful space. There's no screw holes to attach accessories there on my bikes frame anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170815_103154.jpg (96.9 KB, 1344 views)
Old 08-22-17, 06:43 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by ZuniCycle
I couldn't find an example of anyone else doing this.
There might be a reason for that...
Old 08-22-17, 07:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
There might be a reason for that...
I don't know what problem you see. I've carried camp stove fuel in just about the same place for decades and never had a problem.

However, the OP's lock extends pretty low, so I expect that he needs extra care if there are old style speed bumps where he rides, otherwise I'll venture that he never has issues with it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-27-17, 08:56 PM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ksisler
Read up to make sure you know the difference between foot pounds and inch pounds and that you have the right torque wrench...before tightening those dinky bike bolts that seem to come loose at the wrong time if not tightened perfectly or break off if over tightened...
Just tighten everything until it snaps, then back off a quarter turn.
Old 08-29-17, 02:40 PM
ZuniCycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I don't know what problem you see. I've carried camp stove fuel in just about the same place for decades and never had a problem.

However, the OP's lock extends pretty low, so I expect that he needs extra care if there are old style speed bumps where he rides, otherwise I'll venture that he never has issues with it.
It doesn't extend lower than the pedals when they're vertical. It doesn't get nicked even when riding up onto curbs.

Besides using otherwise unused space, I really hated having the lock on the top tube or seat tube because it's free to swing on the mount. It would sometimes hit my legs when pedaling which was annoying.
Old 08-29-17, 03:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by ZuniCycle
It doesn't extend lower than the pedals when they're vertical. It doesn't get nicked even when riding up onto curbs.

Besides using otherwise unused space, I really hated having the lock on the top tube or seat tube because it's free to swing on the mount. It would sometimes hit my legs when pedaling which was annoying.
I'm with you, and agree that it's good use of otherwise unused space. My only concern was speed bumps, because around here there are a number high enough to clip a pedal, though not the BB shell. I ride fixed some of the time, and have to time it so I clear the bump while neither pedal is low.

However, if that's not an issue for you, I can't see any other.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-31-17, 07:19 PM
ksisler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ingenuity for finding a personal use for dead space is well regarded here. Kudos.

Many of my touring bikes and tandems have water bottle braze on mounts on the bottom of the down-tube that would place that water bottle in the top half of the area holding the OP's lock-thing. Some others have pegs for old-school air pump down there. I really like having an extra bottle of water and have been often guilty of removing the bottom side pump pegs on bikes that aren't collectible or historically significant.
Old 09-04-17, 04:04 PM
Ganzen
Free wheel

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Traveller III, 1985 Nishiki Prestige, 1986 Raleigh Technium 480

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear wheel single speed install

Originally Posted by I_bRAD
By walking the wheel he means tighten one nut, slide the axle back on the opposite side, and then repeat for the other side. Usually once or twice will do it.
Always tighten the nut on the brake lever side (left side) first. This will prevent the bearing nuts from loosening on the axle and goofing up the preload if the bearing nuts are'nt solidly backed with a locking nut, or even if they are.
Old 09-04-17, 04:50 PM
Ganzen
Free wheel

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Traveller III, 1985 Nishiki Prestige, 1986 Raleigh Technium 480

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reshaping bent seat tube collar

Had a bike delivered in a box and the seat tube collar was mangled and out of round. It was heavy guage steel and was not responding well to wedging with a small diameter pipe. Then it occurred to me that the bike had a powerful wedge in the handlebar downtube. I pull the handlebars off, slipped the hanblebar downtube into the seat tube just past the mangled spot. I then rotated the handlebar downtube so the wedge nut was located opposite the bent portion of the seat collar and tightened the handlebar wedge a bit. The bent part of the seat collar straightened predictably and after a couple of cycles of repositioning and tightening, the seat collar was rounded up nicely and the seat tube slid into place easily without scratching the finish. Tightened the seat collar quicklock, reinstalled the handlebars and moved on with
assembly.
Old 09-11-17, 08:05 PM
ksisler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ganzen
Had a bike delivered in a box and the seat tube collar was mangled and out of round. It was heavy guage steel and was not responding well to wedging with a small diameter pipe. Then it occurred to me that the bike had a powerful wedge in the handlebar downtube. I pull the handlebars off, slipped the hanblebar downtube into the seat tube just past the mangled spot. I then rotated the handlebar downtube so the wedge nut was located opposite the bent portion of the seat collar and tightened the handlebar wedge a bit. The bent part of the seat collar straightened predictably and after a couple of cycles of repositioning and tightening, the seat collar was rounded up nicely and the seat tube slid into place easily without scratching the finish. Tightened the seat collar quicklock, reinstalled the handlebars and moved on with
assembly.
OP; Suggest it would have been more clever to file a claim with the seller for damage. They would then advise that you file a claim with the shipping company, etc., but eventually you end up with a bike in the condition you ordered it in (new, used, etc), not something marginally un-twisted and probably still unsafe to ride.
Old 09-12-17, 05:11 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
Ganzen, I admire your creative DIY solution. Kudos.
-NJg
Old 10-09-17, 10:53 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
When patching an inner tube,

offending seam ridges can be sanded down by pinching the tube

so that the seam sticks up at the fold, also cleaning the rubber next to the seam.

Then use two coats of cement and compress the completed patch to set- I use a ball peen hammer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1802.jpg (102.7 KB, 1092 views)
Old 10-18-17, 11:08 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
When I find the puncture spot on a tube I take a sharpie and mark an x over the puncture after I clean and sand the area. Then when applying the patch I can center it effectively over the hole. Also, I like to clanp the tube lightly to the work bench on either side of the puncture so the affected spot stays right side up and doesn't move.
Old 10-18-17, 12:11 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
When I find a small puncture I mark it by sticking a sewing pin into it, which I keep in my patch kit. It marks the place, and also enlarges the hole just a little bit, making it easier to re-find if necessary, without making it less patchable.
Old 10-25-17, 09:18 AM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
When I find the puncture spot on a tube I take a sharpie and mark an x over the puncture after I clean and sand the area. Then when applying the patch I can center it effectively over the hole. Also, I like to clanp the tube lightly to the work bench on either side of the puncture so the affected spot stays right side up and doesn't move.
I use a silver sharpie for that (There's also gold ones) Also a mark on the tire where the stem is is good for indicating where the tire is on the wheel. (handy for finding why you flatted)
Old 04-27-18, 04:08 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Probably as a possible cost-cutting move (and perhaps I'm a cheapskate for having bought the thing in the first place,) Dahon must've thought it would be a good idea not to provide bottle cage bosses anywhere on the Vybe's frame.

Because I'm not brave enough to drill my own holes in the frame and tap them out, a third-party solution like Topeak's cage mount was handy for a while. With the only practical place to install it being the lower handlepost in a vertical position, though, the bottle tended to pop out if I hit a pothole hard enough, which is distracting and inconvenient, not to mention just plain ugly:

The bike already was up for sale. Being strapped for cash, I wasn't about to spend any money buying new gear, no matter how inexpensive. I needed to finnagle a setup using whatever I had lying around, and one that I could easily undo at any time.

Cannibalizing one of the other new Topeak cage mounts I had, I screwed together a strap that's long enough to go all the way around the main frame tube, avoiding damage to the brake and shifter cables that run along the bottom:

The four rubber pads kept the straps away from the cables, while ensuring that the two straps are screwed together at two points instead of one:

All I had to do next was screw the base down, locking the two ends of the straps together, attach the cage base, and screw on the cage:

The bottle was more secure, and at once more accessible and out of the way. It also looked better!

Despite having used some rubber strips, I still ended up scratching the finish, which is a bummer!

Last edited by sjanzeir; 06-21-18 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-16-18, 11:17 PM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know if this has been covered before but thought I'd mention a quick hack I did today. I installed new cables needed something to crimp the cable ends (my cable cutters don't have the crimper), so I made my own from an old pair of pliers. Just used the edge of a small file and worked in two grooves on opposite sides of each other. Make sure they line up pretty well and are cut deep enough. Only took a couple of minutes to do and worked like a charm!

Old 06-17-18, 08:42 AM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jack002
I use a silver sharpie for that (There's also gold ones) Also a mark on the tire where the stem is is good for indicating where the tire is on the wheel. (handy for finding why you flatted)
I use the tyre's name brand always at the stem. So no need to mark anything.
Old 06-17-18, 10:21 AM
ElijahCooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sjanzeir Your post 622 - It turned out well, but it seems to me that now it will not be so convenient to get a bottle, because now it hangs very low, don't you think so?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.