Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Looking for AA tail light

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Looking for AA tail light

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 11:01 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I know what you say about USB devices. Whew!!! And, I highly dislike the old USB-B (came out with the Android a few years ago). I chew up cables and devices, and have a few lights that are non-functional due to the connectors wearing out.

The Apple USB connectors appear to be more stable, and I have high hopes for the new USB-C. We'll see.

What ever happened to those old boxy shaped taillights that I was getting in the late 1980's and early 1990's? Twin AA batteries, and lasted forever.

Ahh, perhaps similar to this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Bicycle...d/182255580704

Unfortunately there isn't a good picture of the back. But, it does look like it has a good gasket, and is shipped from the USA.
Old 11-25-19, 11:16 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Clifford, Apple’s USB cords are really flimsy. All the ones that came with my iPads including the Lightning cable on a 2017 pro model gave way pretty quickly at the jack, there is not adequate reinforcement there. Replaced them all with cheap Chinese braided versions that last and last.

Ha that eBay blinkie is just like the many whose covers have littered all the highways I’ve ridden with them.
Old 11-25-19, 12:26 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by andychrist
Nope, and I can’t even sign in with my account.
Well then, you could simply create a new account. It only takes 15 seconds.
Old 11-25-19, 12:48 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Tried that with my current email address, says sorry that account already exists.

Doesn’t really matter because they don’t ship to the USA anyway — every result on All Offers page shows International Shipping: Unavailable

Last edited by andychrist; 11-25-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-25-19, 02:15 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by andychrist
Well the Serfas is currently only ~$13, free shipping. Yeah I have no doubt it compares poorly in quality to the B&M, plus is like only half the width. But at least it’s currently available whereas there seems to be no place online to order any B&M at uninflated prices — not to mention that the few sites that do list them fail to include more than a single thumbnail or any specs whatsoever.
The Toplight Line Permanent is 35,95 € shipped to the US. Add the Ixon IQ premium to your order and you will have the best AA powered lighting setup money can buy for around eighty bucks. Or for $13 you can have one of the crappiest tail lights available, which doesn't come with a rack mount, so you will have to fabricate some way to attach it to your rack. Your choice obviously.
Old 11-25-19, 03:24 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Thanks for that link, kingston, but I’m certainly not splurging eighty bucks just so as not to waste a four pack of AA eneloops!

Already have dozens of USB and AAA blinkies which perform fine as well as half a dozen high power front lights in 4000K neutral white that can all outshine automotive headlamps. Am simply looking for the largest illuminating reflector possible as a backup, doesn’t matter if it isn’t bright.

The B&M takes only a single AA and its run time is 40 hours, no flash modes. Do appreciate its enormity though.

For a cheap crappy tail light, the Serfas Stop Sign gets surprisingly good reviews. Supports two AA batteries and its run time on Flash is 120 hours. I don’t care if it isn't easy to mount to a rack, will keep the 9.5cm reflector already screwed into to the Ibera and attach the SSS to my seat bag, where it will be fairly well insulated from road shock. Not exactly what I’d hoped for but a more than acceptable compromise.
Old 11-28-19, 08:12 PM
mtbtrlrguy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any bicycle retailer should have AA-battery powered lights in their inventory.
Old 11-28-19, 08:51 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by mtbtrlrguy
Any bicycle retailer should have AA-battery powered lights in their inventory.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Old 11-29-19, 04:37 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Smile Got it!

A little smaller than was led to believe from Amazon but total serfas area prolly about the same as the reflector already mounted to my Ibera disk rack.

Stratus XPC Planet Bike Grateful Red Serfas Stop Sign by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Quality is actually much better than expected. LEDs are blindingly bright. Red reflector cover snaps tight to the lamp body, which in kind clips securely to the heavy duty silicone O-ring mount that’s absolutely the best I’ve ever seen of its kind.

Would have liked an option to swivel 90º so as to be able to attach it to the back of my rack horizontally but at least it retains its symmetry in the vertical orientation. After a bit of reflection now think it looks more correct this way, not as cramped between the kitty litter panniers and sorta mirrors their own up and down rectangular shape.

So problem solved, I guess.

Last edited by andychrist; 11-29-19 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-10-19, 12:30 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I too think an AA or AAx2 taillight is a great idea:
1. Each AA cell holds about 2.5 times as much energy as a AAA and the cost difference is minimal.
2. It keeps the ability to hot swap batteries. I can see why some people like USB tail lights but personally I value the option to swap in cells quickly rather than waiting for a charge to build up. Also the light lifetime is limited and then must be tossed away.