Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Scratches and pits in my crankset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-19, 05:52 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

So I have polished like 3 cranksets before with good results. This one I decided to do because there were 2 big marks worn through on the crankarm. However, after removing the anodized layer, and sanding with 150 dry and 320 wet, i still have multiple tiny scratches and pitting. I would need like a file to get them out, which seems drastic. So should I just live with it and continue wet sanding and finishing with Meguirs aluminum polish as I did in the past? What are my options?
Old 11-26-19, 06:40 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Some of those marks seem to be from shoe rubbing but others, particularly the small pits, make me think the bike was ridden on salt-treated winter roads.. You could grind and sand them out but I'd be worried that removing too much material will weaken the crank. I'd just live with them the way they are.
Old 11-26-19, 06:58 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Live with them. Even MY OCD has limits.
Old 11-26-19, 07:19 PM
Jicafold

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Some of those marks seem to be from shoe rubbing but others, particularly the small pits, make me think the bike was ridden on salt-treated winter roads.. You could grind and sand them out but I'd be worried that removing too much material will weaken the crank. I'd just live with them the way they are.
That thought did cross my mind....removing too much material. I'll live with it and finish the process. Thank you.
Old 11-27-19, 05:45 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Removing the anodising will make them tarnish easily. You may want to seal them up with a hardened clear seal coat once polished.
Old 12-01-19, 05:36 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
You could also paint them silver or black or , be rad and paint them red. or day glow green!
Old 12-02-19, 06:15 PM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
You could try sand blasting the surface with fine grain grit. Then take it to an anodizing shop to get it anodized again, but it would probably be thin layered. Hard anodizing is rare, at least around here. Thin layer is around 20 microns and will easily scratch off. Hard anodizing goes up to 100 microns or more and more abrasion resistant. You're supposed to give it to them clean, so you could wash it in an ultrasonic cleaner first. I don't know if they can plug the spindle hole, maybe they have something that they normally use for plugs. Before anodizing, they will dip it in acid to remove the oxidized layer before dipping it into the anodizing bath. The amount of time in the acid will determine the final dimensions. For example, I've been told that a 20 micron anodizing layer is 10 microns inward and 10 microns outward. And to get a matt finish, I ask them to dip the part into acid for 20 minutes to remove around 40 microns of material. So -40+10 = -30 microns thinner surface. If it were a cylinder, the diameter would reduce by 60 microns, or 0.06mm. If they dip it in acid for only 5 minutes, the surface is semi-gloss/satin (if the part was polished or machine finished, and 1-2 minutes is glossy), and possibly only removes 10 microns, so -10+10 = 0, no change in surface thickness.

However, I've only sent 600 parts at a time for anodizing, which was like 50 cents a piece, for 20 micron anodizing. I've never sent 2 pieces except for a free test trial. So I don't know what they'd charge you for 2 crank arms. It would probably be cheaper to buy new cranks. I think Sugino cranks are around $50 on ebay. Spacycles cranks are even cheaper. I think a complete double crankset with bashguard was $60. The crank arms themselves were less. There are some cheap Shimano riveted cranksets for $30.

Actually, I have a pair of Spacycles 110/74 crank arms JIS 170mm black square tapered that I only used for a few kilometers, before I decided to switch to hollowtech. I kept them in a box thinking I might use them in the future, but I don't think I will. You can PM me if you're interested in them.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 12-02-19 at 06:32 PM.