Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anyone want to help me understand road bike geometry?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Anyone want to help me understand road bike geometry?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 11:06 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by showlow
Thanks for the response.

Anyway, I bought the frame. It's at my LBS now. Hopefully it lives up to the marketing hype!
Old 11-20-19, 11:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
I just looked up the Zig Zag. It looks great. $1,300 isn't bad at all. My wife has an All City Macho Man. It's so great that I'm envious.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-19, 11:42 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
I give up. I'm just going to buy it because it's a pretty color and hope the marketing department isn't full of crap.
...all things considered, you can do a lot worse than buying a bike that's a pretty color.

Old 11-20-19, 11:50 AM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...all things considered, you can do a lot worse than buying a bike that's a pretty color.

Oh yeah. Definitely. I could buy a stupid TV or something. I think bikes are always worth it.
Old 11-20-19, 02:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
I give up. I'm just going to buy it because it's a pretty color and hope the marketing department isn't full of crap.
Don't give up! Document the bike you have - especially the fit points. BB to HB tops. BB to seat. This is what works for you (if it does). With that, you can set up potential bikes to have similar fit. Then ride them!
Old 11-20-19, 06:29 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Showlow, you will like the Zig Zag. I am a big fan of shallower than 73 degree seat tube angles, and prefer how it puts me behind the BB. This does slightly affect handling and you will find that it has a positive affect on stability, which is good on rougher than smooth surfaces or loose surfaces such as gravel roads.

I believe you made a solid choice.
Old 11-24-19, 06:41 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
You're going to like the bike. Probably. As best as could be known w/o a long, long test ride.

72.5 is not particularly shallow and not shallow at all for a bike to be used w/ bigger tires on rougher surfaces. The (slightly) shallow head angle, the (slightly) long fork rake, the long top tube combine to make a longish wheelbase. You don't design a frame to a target wheelbase. Steering trail is about same as what you are used to and that is usually the strongest determinant in handling. Frame is intended for up to 35mm tires and that means it has to be longer than a pure road bike. Wow. That frame is very well spec'd. Is Anna Schwinn still designing? Somebody smart designed that frame.
Old 12-04-19, 09:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Anyway, I bought the frame. It's at my LBS now. Hopefully it lives up to the marketing hype!
wow this has been a mess of a thread. Since you bought the frame, I'll refrain from discussing geometry, comparisons, and how differences relate.

Just wanted to mention that the lack of helpful discussion to your question(s) was quite noticable.
also- post some pics of the frame/bike!
Old 12-06-19, 09:58 AM
showlow

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
wow this has been a mess of a thread. Since you bought the frame, I'll refrain from discussing geometry, comparisons, and how differences relate.

Just wanted to mention that the lack of helpful discussion to your question(s) was quite noticable.
also- post some pics of the frame/bike!
Feel free to chime in. Yeah, I bought it, but I'm still open to an education.

I'll post pics when I can. I have been ridiculously busy and whatever free time I've had I've opted to go riding rather than tinker in the garage. I hope to get a half day to build it up this weekend.
Old 03-20-20, 12:20 PM
calstar 

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork

BTW, if you carefully measured* the bikes you've owned you would know that published "geometry" is mostly marketing wank -- and that's what you're marrying.
this
Old 03-20-20, 03:18 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
I think partly what confuses all this is that you get used to geometry, so a new bike can feel strange at first but after 10 hours or so feels perfectly normal. So different people can have different perceptions of the effect of geometry changes depending on where they're coming from. MTBs got gradually longer, lower and slacker over the last few years and journalists always exclaim how each one is sicker than the last. But if you went back in a time machine to 1992 and gave someone a 2020 MTB to ride they'd probably say it felt weird and they didn't like it.

Those geometries you posted all looked pretty similar and I'm sure any of them will ride fine. Enjoy the new bike!
Old 03-20-20, 03:34 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Between the Zig Zag and Zurich, I see 1 degree difference in the head tube angle and half a cm in the chain stay. Doesn't seem like they will ride much different, unless the head tube is significantly longer on the Zig Zag (which will reduce the reach and be more upright).
Old 03-22-20, 08:27 PM
showlow

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Between the Zig Zag and Zurich, I see 1 degree difference in the head tube angle and half a cm in the chain stay. Doesn't seem like they will ride much different, unless the head tube is significantly longer on the Zig Zag (which will reduce the reach and be more upright).
They handle way different. HTA are similar but the trail is way different. The ZZ is noticably twitchier.
Old 03-23-20, 08:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
guy153 that's very true. A lot of what is best for us is what we are accustomed to.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.