Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Suggestions with hybrid/comfort bike frame-up build

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 11-02-19, 02:10 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts

Wow! It's been a few years since I've been active here on BF although I've still been riding regularly.

Recently I scored a Marin Bridgeway frame off the Bay real cheap with the intention of building up a comfortable "fast" bike mainly for more spirited club rides and, since I'm pushing sixty, I didn't want the extreme lean down position of a road bike. I hardly ever use the drops on my drop-handlebar bikes, anyway.

Although I'm no stranger to bike builds having built up a dozen or so bikes and at least a few dozen wheels I am perplexed by all the newfangled stuff out there. I haven't paid much attention to all the latest trends but I want to educate myself on all the latest and greatest components and accessories.

I actually don't know where to start with this project but I guess I'll have to start with the drivetrain. Has anybody here familiar with or has built up a bike with the mountain bike 1x drivetrain? I'm aware the frame itself is not compatible with a front derailler so it looks like I'm stuck with that. What would be that best way to go with it? Dropout spacing is 135mm, by the way.
Old 11-03-19, 07:46 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
Wow! It's been a few years since I've been active here on BF although I've still been riding regularly.

Recently I scored a Marin Bridgeway frame off the Bay real cheap with the intention of building up a comfortable "fast" bike mainly for more spirited club rides and, since I'm pushing sixty, I didn't want the extreme lean down position of a road bike. I hardly ever use the drops on my drop-handlebar bikes, anyway.

Although I'm no stranger to bike builds having built up a dozen or so bikes and at least a few dozen wheels I am perplexed by all the newfangled stuff out there. I haven't paid much attention to all the latest trends but I want to educate myself on all the latest and greatest components and accessories.

I actually don't know where to start with this project but I guess I'll have to start with the drivetrain. Has anybody here familiar with or has built up a bike with the mountain bike 1x drivetrain? I'm aware the frame itself is not compatible with a front derailler so it looks like I'm stuck with that. What would be that best way to go with it? Dropout spacing is 135mm, by the way.
I'd suggest starting with the fork+headset, and then the wheels. Fork must have the proper steerer diameter, axle to crown, rake, and brake type. This will get your correct stance. Tires will indicate desired riding terrain and speed.

At this point, its not a bad idea to work on seatpost, saddle, stem, and bar to get a basic fit going. Bar choice might affect shifter selection and cabling so its important to figure that out. Its also a good idea to leave the steerer uncut for now.

When you pick your hub, it must be compatible with the drivetrain you choose and the frame. Your tires, intended position, and knowing your body will give you an indication of gearing range required, Starting with cranks, pick a chainring suitable for your intended riding, then pick a cassette for the range you need.The range of the cassette will dictate the length of the R derailleur cage. Pick the shifters you need; there are other options such as Microshift thumbies that are worth exploring.

Mixing and matching is always possible (1xX). Here is a 1x9 (32t, 11-34) conversion for the wife, with extra long hoses in case I need to change the cockpit.

Last edited by DorkDisk; 12-13-19 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-05-19, 11:40 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
I don't do club rides & such, but I'd be leery of a 1X anything for this purpose.

You're going to have wider spaced gears whereas your fellow riders with 2 or 3X are going to have closer spaced (and more appropriate for the conditions AT THE MOMENT) gears.
You'll be finding yourself spinning too fast or mashing too much trying to keep up because you don't quite have the best gear, while they are in their "comfort zone".
Old 12-10-19, 04:41 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Isn't a Marin Bridgeway a comfort bike?
Old 12-11-19, 07:54 PM
violini

Bikes: Modern steel frame road bike, titanium cruzbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought two frames from Random Bike Parts in Cross Lake, MN. The first one is a modern Marin steel frame made in Italy. I assemble it using Shimano 105 drive train. The 2nd frame is Sausalito hybrid frame. In September 2019, I purchased a Marin Terra Linda in good used condition. The 17" frame fits me just right, although it's a women specific bike. The bike has a carbon fork, 52/42/30 chain rings, 12-24 cassette sprocket, and the rear axle is 130 mm. Therefore, its specifications are more close to road bike. I will use this bike for group ride on the bike path around town.