Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Survey on Commuter Bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Survey on Commuter Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-19, 03:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Commuting is s chore, it's not a sunny Sunday afternoon job. Rain, snow, 5am, you've just gotta get on with it. A bomb-proof electric cargo bike is the answer. No compromises. No **** brakes, tiny tyres, plastic frame, or general trophyism. You need something that cannot fail.
Well ... ti is Not really a chore, because it is a choice. it is a demanding lifestyle if one doesn't have a car or motorized vehicle as backup, though. Bad weather is just part of it ... tired legs, the occasional walk home pushing the bike when something which can't be fixed curbside ... and of course, there have to be a couple back-up bikes (and a bunch of wheels) ready to swap in at any moment.

Skinny tires were never an issue for me ... I suppose if I had ridden in real snow I would have had a snow-specific bike with studded and very wide tires. Carbon fiber is fine---ask Jim from the Jewel of the Charles---but I wouldn't use any of my nice CF bikes for commuting----just too many situations out of my control (including some idiot deciding my bike needs to be parked somewhere else, or he needs to chain his bike to mine, or the bike needs to be beat with the floor waxer, or a forklift, or something.)

Any bike which can carry the rider and the gear s/he needs for the shift is a fine commuter.
Old 11-29-19, 08:34 AM
Johnbaker21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like bike because it can go from small places. The reason I hate about bikes is that whether its ride mistakes or not the bike rider will need to face all the trouble.
Old 11-29-19, 09:21 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
The OP has not logged onto BF since the time of the original posts. If this is any indication of any real interest in your responses, you may not want to spend much time answering.
Old 11-29-19, 05:19 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The OP has not logged onto BF since the time of the original posts. If this is any indication of any real interest in your responses, you may not want to spend much time answering.
That and two threads with the exact same title made me wonder if the OP was a Troll.

Cheers
Old 11-29-19, 06:41 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
What I wish was different was tire width. The CityGlide can only fit a 700x38 and still use fenders. I'd like a frame that could accept up to 45mm wide tires with fenders and still be marketed as a commuter bike. Why? A softer ride over bad pavement or trails, plus a little more tread on the ground for a bit more traction always suits my preferences.
I agree, commuters often ride on bumpy downtown streets & sidewalks etc where the wider tires could give a smoother ride, esp with aluminum frames. I have a Trek hybrid with ~38mm-wide tires but it has a suspension fork & seatpost that really smooth out the ride. The fork & seatpost are the inexpensive type but they work OK for commuter-type rides even though the bike is over 12 years old.
Old 11-29-19, 07:08 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I was still comfortable on my commuter when I hurt myself at work, because, electric.

I can't be late. Thankfully I have huge tyres,very heavily armoured. I can hit anything - kerbs, glass, whatever.

Obviously I can carry shopping. It's not a commuter if you cant.

Commuting is s chore, it's not a sunny Sunday afternoon job. Rain, snow, 5am, you've just gotta get on with it. A bomb-proof electric cargo bike is the answer. No compromises. No **** brakes, tiny tyres, plastic frame, or general trophyism. You need something that cannot fail.
I think e-bikes could be great for commuting. Casual bikers or those with medical issues can do hilly or longer commutes with only moderate effort; stronger riders might appreciate not having to get sweaty in hot weather & needing to change clothes when arriving at work. E-bikes often come with nice commuter features like fenders, suspension forks, lights etc.
Old 11-29-19, 09:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
My big issue with commuter bikes is they generally are designed to be fairly cheap instead of high quality reliable machines designed well for commuters. Not nearly enough good Dynamo set ups (with bright lights) and certainly not much with a ton of comfort in mind and usually with lower end parts they need more maintenance and more time in the shop which is no good. I get it Rohloff and Gates Belt Drives and Dynamos are expensive and locking a bike up like that is tough. However with all of todays technology surely we can make things work out a little better. Get a frame lock, Bordo folding lock, pitlocks and maybe a GPS tracker and practice good locking and you should be in good shape.
Old 11-30-19, 03:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

I commuted for years in Toronto Canada by riding my MTB. In winter it had 26" x 2.125" knobby tires and in summer it had 26" x 1.5" slicks. With either I didn't have to worry much about potholes or lengthwise gaps in the pavement. the 1.5" slicks made it quite fast or easy to pedal.

Cheers
Old 11-30-19, 04:16 PM
Alloyboy

Bikes: Empire 3 speed. Resolution Get away mtb. 10 speed.Sekine. No rco. Mountaineer SL.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I commuted for years in Toronto Canada by riding my MTB. In winter it had 26" x 2.125" knobby tires and in summer it had 26" x 1.5" slicks. With either I didn't have to worry much about potholes or lengthwise gaps in the pavement. the 1.5" slicks made it quite fast or easy to pedal.

Cheers
Hello Miele Man, Did you use the same wheels, or was the fit with the thinner width tires OK. Jim
Old 11-30-19, 05:38 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Alloyboy
Hello Miele Man, Did you use the same wheels, or was the fit with the thinner width tires OK. Jim
The rims I had were okay with either tires.

Cheers
Old 11-30-19, 06:20 PM
Alloyboy

Bikes: Empire 3 speed. Resolution Get away mtb. 10 speed.Sekine. No rco. Mountaineer SL.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you for your promptness. Jim.
Old 12-02-19, 12:51 PM
BurleyCat
Qfactor

Bikes: Santa Cruz, Bridgestone, Raleigh, Rudge, Specialized, Burley, Schwinn

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yash Chandak
Hi All,

My name is Yash Chandak and I am currently pursuing my masters at UCD. I am doing an assignment on the commuter bicycle market in Ireland and the motivations and perceptions of people about it. One of my methods for collecting data is via netnography (internet etnography) which in simple words is browsing through forums and social media websites and looking for posts, comments and opinions of current and potential customised bicycle buyers. There are a few ethical guidelines I need to follow and they include me actually posting this on here so I can get your approval of using your posts as data. On top of that, I am hiding all information about people's names and post dates so everything stays anonymous. If someone is not ok with me doing this, please leave a comment and I will make sure not to include your comments in my paper.

Please help me by answering the following questions:

1. What do you love and hate the most about commuting bikes (solely as as a product, not their use)?
2. And why do you feel this way?

Thank you all,
Yash
Hmmm, is this the appropriate place to respond?

What do I love about commuter bikes? Love is a strong word, but I very much appreciate that a commuter bike is less likely to be a product of trends and fashion. Bike types go for all sorts of impractical 'innovations' and the shops and manufacturers often indulge them. I like practical (which includes safe and comfortable) and I like reliable. I include nimble and lightweight as practical features, though these can be taken to extreme.

Why? I grew up on two wheels, whether bicycles or motorcycles. I delivered papers by bike for years when very young and I roamed all over my town and the adjoining countryside by bike. I commuted by bicycle for much of my education and work. If something could be improved I would often tackle minor modifications and never had to pay anyone for repairs. I carried that mind set and skill into a career that included Manager of Research and Development at a small bicycle and bicycle accessory manufacturer.

Last edited by BurleyCat; 12-02-19 at 12:53 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 12-02-19, 02:09 PM
ssmiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Summer 2018 Norco Indie 1 - all parts upgraded to Deore as I didn't like the shifting or braking of the Alvio and I wanted a 10 speed rear
Winter 2016 Trek DS 8.6
Old 12-03-19, 06:54 PM
studbike1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in a high theft area (NYC). One thing I hate about commuting bikes, or any city-oriented bike, is that they seem to be built to be stolen. Guess that's what moves them off the shelf in the first place. They have flashy paint jobs or flashy frame designs. I am of the firm belief that thieves are attracted to shiny objects. They also never come with any sort of adequate security mechanisms from the factory. It would be so inexpensive to build a frame from the factory with built in wheel and saddle security. It's expensive to buy adequate protection aftermarket... Protecting the wheels, seat, and handlebars/stem from getting removed adds hundreds of dollars to my purchase and hours of work. Finally, I realize this may be asking a lot, but I don't understand why bike manufacturers haven't ever sold integrated frame locking mechanisms. Having to destroy the frame in order to steal the bike seems like a strong disincentive to me.