Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Disc Wheel

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Disc Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 07:49 PM
jetta-the-hut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disc Wheel

looking at taking the plunge and buying a disc for the rear wheel, i'm on a 650c so i'm a little concerned about training on it.

any thoughts?

how often can i ride on it?
Old 12-14-10, 12:05 AM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out wheelbuilder.com and get a disc cover. Will save you a bunch of money and you can just add it for races.

Don't train on a disc.
Old 12-14-10, 08:03 AM
gazelle5333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
General question...I can see why you wouldn't use a disc for an all purpose wheel, but why can't you run the last week of hard training on it before you start to taper? Shouldn't you get used to riding with it before the big day?
Old 12-14-10, 09:11 AM
jetta-the-hut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gazelle5333
General question...I can see why you wouldn't use a disc for an all purpose wheel, but why can't you run the last week of hard training on it before you start to taper? Shouldn't you get used to riding with it before the big day?
yeah i'm wondering too, but i live at the beach and we have some wicked cross winds & all but 1 of my races this year are local so i'm going to have to get used to riding it.

I've got a line on an HED 3 trispoke so this may be a mute point! If that falls through then i'll drop back and buy the Renn wheel.

anyone want to get in the argument that an Aero Helmet is proven to provide more aerodynamics than a wheel set? Come on! someone wants to i can feel it!
Old 12-14-10, 12:20 PM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jetta-the-hut
anyone want to get in the argument that an Aero Helmet is proven to provide more aerodynamics than a wheel set? Come on! someone wants to i can feel it!
I have heard the arguement, and it seems sound, so let's say I have so we can hear your rebuttal.

Also three other points for not training on a disk until about a week before to get used to it (which by the way, I agree with),
1. Crosswinds suck, you would only use a disk in a race with low crosswinds anyway.
2. Disks are classically tubular, unless you have found the only clincher disk in existance, you don't want to be training on your racing tubulars (they are expensive, they don't last forever, they take at least three days to reglue)
3. Disks (assuming this is not a wheelbuilder disk) are generally made of carbon fiber, and thus very expensive. Would you rather a car run into your $200 training rear wheel, or your $2000 disk?
Old 12-14-10, 02:28 PM
jetta-the-hut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirious94
I have heard the arguement, and it seems sound, so let's say I have so we can hear your rebuttal.
that makes alot of sence about the tubulars and the training so if i do go that route i'll be sure to not train on it. i guess the same goes for a tubular tri-spoke.

as far as aero helmets i can fully believe that a helmet helps more than wheels i was just being silly since anytime you mention buying a wheel everyone jumps up and says to buy a helmet instead.

plus the number 1 reason in this case that a helmet is not an argument is becasue i'm buying a rear wheel aerodynamic aren't a factor- not to mention i'm a clydesdale there is no such thing as aerodynamics when theres a 2 starting your weight!
Old 12-14-10, 03:39 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
one thing, crosswinds are a problem on a disk, but there not as bad as some people make them out to be. i would say a 66mm wheel in the front is much worse than a disk in back.

Now a disk in front then crosswinds become a big problem.
Old 12-14-10, 04:29 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't train on a disc. Too expensive, I put race tires on my race wheels and latex tubes. So that means being way more diligent about pumping up my wheels and possibly flatting on more expensive tires.

If you do get aero wheels I highly recommend getting good tires that supplement the advantage. This means first, getting tires that generally are the same width as your wheels brake track(renn and hed 3 is about 20mm) and second roll fast. If you tubular then I would look to Vittoria Evo CX in 20(or is it 21?)mm width (these run pretty cheap on ebay in 650c). Clincher I would recommend the same tire but the clincher version. You said you're a bigger guy so you may want to go a touch wider in the rear for comfort reasons and to avoid pinch flats but even that has an effect on aerodynamics.

The article that most people read that said a helmet offered more advantage than wheels actually stated that an aero helmet offered more time savings PER DOLLAR than wheels. Which makes sense as wheels cost $750-3000 and an aero helmet costs $100-250. The article was also based only on 0 degrees yaw. Over a range of yaw a set of aero wheels saves about 50-110 seconds(depending on the rider and what wheels they started with and what wheels they upgraded to) over the course of a 40k tt; whereas a helmet usually saves about 40-60 seconds in a 40k tt depending on the rider and their position and the helmet.
Old 12-14-10, 06:01 PM
jetta-the-hut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just paid for a tubular HED 3 trispoke its a little scary since i've never dealt with tubular before. I dont believe it needs anything to be sewn but not sure until i get wheel in hand and can see.

Heres the info:

Carbon wheels, tubulars, aluminum braking surface, 650c sized. Currently have tires mounted with lots of life left on them. Also have a brand new spare ($79 mrsp) that I will include for free. Comes with a 9spd 11-23 cassette, but hub accepts all Shimano cassettes 8, 9, or 10spd.

I've got a shimano 105 8 speed cassette right now so i'm probably going to pick another 1 up so i can slide off my mavic cpx14 and race on this wheel.

I'm also concerend that this wheel will be heavier than my deep V, i'm hoping my 56lb weight loss will help with this weight difference.
Old 12-21-10, 04:54 PM
jetta-the-hut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got a few more goodies

the wife picked up a:

Garmin 305 with heart rate
Saucony Omni 9 shoes
Nike running gloves
Old 12-21-10, 06:39 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
1) congrats on the wheel! 2) your wife clearly rocks! 3) 56 lbs! Man, you've been killing it! I hope the "off" season has been treating you well. The time has flown! My wife ran HED3s front and rear all last season and really liked them. I usually use a disc cover for my rear wheel if we are both doing the same race. I did my last race with the HED3 rear and really liked it as well. I was going through this same debate a year and a half ago (I was going between a Renn disc or the HED3). I finally opted for the HED3 as the weight diff. seemed negligible, and for the price, I felt like I was getting a much more durable and versatile rear wheel. Plus, they look awesome. I don't think you will be disappointed!
Old 12-21-10, 08:44 PM
jetta-the-hut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hope not, i've got a line on a 8 spd shimano 105 cassette so i hope to try out the hed wheel right after christmas.

yeah i actually won a bid for the Kure Beach double sprint got in for 5 bucks but the only issue is i signed up as a clydes and last week i was 198 lbs. that means since last october i've lost 56lbs but i'm under 200 so i'm going to skip the first 2 races locally, run the half-marathon with a pace to get me in under 2 hours and then slow my training and start weight training to get around the 201 range until i get my official USAT card and then i'll go age group. so before April i'll be an age grouper instead of a clydes.

right now i'm upto 30+ miles a week per BarryP's running plan on ST.
hes got me doing
3 monday 400+ calories
6 tuesday 1000 calories
3 wensday 400+ calories
6 thursday 1000 calories
3 friday 400+ calories
9 saturday 1400 calories
off sunday

kinda hard to not lose weight on that^ plus i'm adding 7-10% every 2 weeks until the race. so i'm doing 4 miles and 7 miles and 10 miles now in place of the scale above.
Old 12-25-10, 07:07 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Hey Jetta I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Hed3. I've been running tri spokes since they first came out in the early 90's and love em. And as far as disk goes I run mine sometimes for a month at a time, don't care what the weather is. I'm one who doesn't believe in babying my equipment, it's made to ride so that's what I do, it's not made to hang in my basement. And by the way great job on the weight loss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
George_2.jpg (100.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg
George_1.jpg (101.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-25-10, 05:47 PM
jetta-the-hut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i'm going to play for awhile and see how the tubular treats me,

heres my ride this morning, I've already got a lead on a front wheel.