Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Vintage Bike Friday with some dents - questions

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 11:03 AM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts

There is a Bike Friday I am in contact with the seller. It's from 1993 or 1994 and it is from the first 500 BF every made and it has the Diamond frame and therefore, the higher rider weight limit (though it is not they heavy version that is for up to 300 plus pounds).

I have a same size regular bike Friday NWT, but while I'm in the weight limit without heavy loads, I would be over it with a touring load. BUT there are some dents on the frame (probably improperly put in the suitcase). Is this a dealbreaker? They are asking for $680 plus shipping.

This is the info on it from when it was refreshed by BF:

Classic NWT diamond frame #414.
Been updated by the factory for V-brakes and extra water bottle mounts.
Repainted Racing Green and refurbished by the factory in 2017.

56cm Effective top tube
53.5cm Seat tube
80mm stem - painted to match frame

Bike Friday H-bars w/ 3x9 bar-end Shimano Ultegra/600 shifters.
Ultegra 600 front and rear derailleurs.
Vuelta cold-forged 175 mm cranks
53tx44tx32t chainrings.
11-28 9 speed cassette
Ritchey Logic headset - threaded 1"
Thomson Elite seatpost - silver
Serfas Carma Titanium saddle
Shimano V-brakes
Chosen 32 hole sealed cartridge bearing black hubs F & R, matched to
Sun CR-18 black rims w/ rim eyelets. Incl XT QR's.
Schwalbe Marathon Racer 406x40 tires, Raceguard Liteskin
Fidlock Twist bottle cage - game changer for BF's
Standard rear rack already adapted to mount to the wishbone rear seat stay.

Old 07-22-23, 01:01 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
I think the BF are steel right?

My first thought is that the dents are not really a problem.

But you state that you are using it for touring.... eeeeh.... what's your risk tolerance?

Are you the "Maximum margin" type? Then no.

Pay an extra few hundred dollars and prevent a hospital visit.

(or get a considerable discount on this one)
Old 07-23-23, 09:52 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
It looks interesting. Maybe talk to bike friday about the dents. These bikes are strong so would these dents be an issue?
Old 07-23-23, 10:16 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I'd send BF the pictures of the dents and ask them for their opinion. Call them first and let them know you are sending the pics and it might be a safety issue. They're pretty busy so you want to make sure someone notices your request.
Likes For linberl:
Old 07-23-23, 10:31 AM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I'd send BF the pictures of the dents and ask them for their opinion. Call them first and let them know you are sending the pics and it might be a safety issue. They're pretty busy so you want to make sure someone notices your request.
I have actually done this. They say it could be fine, but it's also a big dent and they can't know without looking at it. I know EXACTLY how they got it too - it's the plastic indent from the thing you are supposed to use for packing it in the case to keep from crushing the bike and denting it. AND they clearly say how important it is to pack it correct to avoid such dents. Sigh... I recognize the dent "imprint" since I have a bike Friday and know the thing/shap that created it.

If I were to buy a new one - that is over 3K. This is about 800 shipped. but it could be $800 too much if the frame is really damaged.
Old 07-23-23, 01:20 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by mams99
I have actually done this. They say it could be fine, but it's also a big dent and they can't know without looking at it. I know EXACTLY how they got it too - it's the plastic indent from the thing you are supposed to use for packing it in the case to keep from crushing the bike and denting it. AND they clearly say how important it is to pack it correct to avoid such dents. Sigh... I recognize the dent "imprint" since I have a bike Friday and know the thing/shap that created it.

If I were to buy a new one - that is over 3K. This is about 800 shipped. but it could be $800 too much if the frame is really damaged.
Is it something BF can repair? It wouldn't cost much to just send the frame to them, and maybe could be a bargaining point with seller. If not, if it was me, I would skip it. Just keep lurking the Yak and FB page until you find one without major defects.
Old 07-23-23, 02:02 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
I would be Leary of the dent, too. If no other reason that it makes it hard to sell, and you may end up wanting to sell it even if it rides fine. That said, it looks like the major dent is in the down tube, I could not be sure from the pic. If it is in the down tube then it less problematic as the down tube is mostly a tension member
Old 07-26-23, 10:51 PM
linberl

Great deal here on a PR Pro if you're interested? Authentic Green Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro - listed on the Yak.

Previously Ridden by 6ft Male

Shimano Ultegra
Bike Components
Shimano Hubs
Alexrims Rims
Schwalbe Durano 451 Tires
Chris King Headset
Selle Royal Seat
Rock Shox Seat Post

Suitcase, Sleeves, and All Instructions (Event the DVD) Included

Estimated Value: $1600
Sale Price: $600

OPEN TO OFFERS!

My in-laws were spin instructors and heavily involved in the biking community. The bikes have been well maintained and are in excellent condition.

Bikes are located in Lincoln, California - 30 mins outside Sacramento. Open to shipping if buyer pays all shipping costs.
Old 07-27-23, 01:30 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
I rode a Dahn Jetstream with a similar size dent on the main frame tube and it was fine (even jumping curbs, offroading, carrying child seat and pulling children).

The main dent appears to be on the lower part, between bottom bracket and chainstays (rear fork). Yes,ut seems the bike went over a rock and pushed the tube in a little but, if you consider the loads (ground to the wheel and rider to saddle), the lower part on the tube is in tension and top part in compression so, the tube is not going to bend due to this dent. The thing to look at is not the tube but the welds. If the welds are cracked or are cracked away from the tube, forget it. From the picture, the welds seem good, the paint is good (from 2017).

As others mentioned, it is up to you and how much rish you're happy to take. That said, you can use this as an argument to lower the price.
Old 07-29-23, 11:03 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Some folks prefer the early diamond frame Fridays to the monotube versions. If you have a specific hankering for those and this one fits your bill, go for it. Otherwise, pass. Dents + the entire used bike market is way down. Lots of other options.
Old 07-29-23, 03:05 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I owned this for a short time then told the seller it was back on the block and he paid same price to get it back. The pics make the toptube dings look huge, they're quite small; I never even noticed the bottom dent. Nice bike, great color.
Old 07-31-23, 02:36 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Great deal here on a PR Pro if you're interested? Authentic Green Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro - listed on the Yak.

Bikes are located in Lincoln, California - 30 mins outside Sacramento. Open to shipping if buyer pays all shipping costs.
What is " The Yak"???
Old 07-31-23, 04:13 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
What is " The Yak"???
Bike Friday Yak! - Google Groups
Old 08-01-23, 08:12 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Thank you. Never heard of it. ...learn something new every day!