Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cranks stuck on square taper BB

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 07:05 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts

I have a set of Shimano 600 tri-color cranks that seem to be welded to the square taper BB. My park tool crank remover has not made any headway at all, and I'm reluctant to use any more torque on it for fear of stripping the removal threads. I have an automotive-type pulley/gear puller but the "hooks" are too large to fit between the back of the crank and the BB. I could grind them down, but is there a puller that others have used to remove stuck cranks? I'm willing to buy a tool if it will do that job properly without damage to the cranks.

Looking for recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Apparently I can't spell "square" this morning. Don't know how to edit the thread title.
Old 07-20-18, 07:13 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
One thing to try is to loosen the crank bolts a little, apply some penetrant, and ride up and down the street within walking distance. Unless working with an already bare frame.
Old 07-20-18, 07:15 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've never had a standard crank arm puller fail to remove the crank arm, even if it felt really tight on the spindle. I'd screw the puller in tightly and try again, it should remove the arm. If the threads do get pulled out instead of the arm coming off, you could also cut the crank arm off at that point, which of course will destroy the arm.
Old 07-20-18, 07:16 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

@FBOATSB, that ship already sailed. The only components on the frame are the cranks/BB. For what it's worth, the crank bolts backed out fine and both were greased.
Old 07-20-18, 07:16 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
Wood dowel and/or narrow stick, knock away at it from non- drive side with a mallet ?
Old 07-20-18, 07:17 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Mods are feverishly back pedaling the BF machinery to fix that typo as we speak
Old 07-20-18, 07:53 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Try applying some heat on it too. This has worked for me a couple of times with a heat gun.
Old 07-20-18, 08:03 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 249 Posts
i had to hack saw off a non-drive side crank. I think I somehow buggard things up with the proper crank removal tool - or more likely I had the wrong head size on the crank removal tool.

I think I might have tried one of these: https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...80720135940:s#
But I don't see in the picture what goes on the "back side" of the crank. I will check when I get home if I don't see a post saying you have resolved your issue.
Old 07-20-18, 08:28 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
I have a set of Shimano 600 tri-color cranks that seem to be welded to the square taper BB. My park tool crank remover has not made any headway at all, and I'm reluctant to use any more torque on it for fear of stripping the removal threads. I have an automotive-type pulley/gear puller but the "hooks" are too large to fit between the back of the crank and the BB. I could grind them down, but is there a puller that others have used to remove stuck cranks? I'm willing to buy a tool if it will do that job properly without damage to the cranks.

Looking for recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Apparently I can't spell "square" this morning. Don't know how to edit the thread title.
Just double check that your crank puller isn't pushing against a washer instead of the spindle.
Old 07-20-18, 09:13 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Firstly, remove your puller, clean the threads on the crank, (check for a washer), screw the puller all the way in, use a wrench to make sure it's all the way in. Then proceed to remove the crank as your normally would. When you get as far as you can by hand, hit the puller handle or wrench with a dead blow hammer. Start soft, then harder until the crankk comes off.

Good Luck
Old 07-20-18, 09:51 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Firstly, remove your puller, clean the threads on the crank, (check for a washer), screw the puller all the way in, use a wrench to make sure it's all the way in. Then proceed to remove the crank as your normally would. When you get as far as you can by hand, hit the puller handle or wrench with a dead blow hammer. Start soft, then harder until the crankk comes off.

Good Luck
Another tactic to try is to get the puller as tight as you can by hand and then solidly strike the drive end of the puller with a 4lb hand sledge. The shock will often pop the crankarm loose. Extra points for applying Kano Kroil or PB Blaster (and waiting for it to creep into the joint) beforehand.
Old 07-20-18, 10:28 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

They're off. Both of them. It was a combination of PB Blaster, heat, and some hammering of the puller with an old hammer handle that did it. Wow! Those cranks were not coming off without some serious torque. Don't know what torque was used to tighten the crank bolts, but I'm guessing it was a lot higher than the spec calls for. Probably some "mechanic" tightening them by "feel" instead of using a torque wrench.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Hopefully the BB won't be quite so hard to remove. A Campy BB for a Comp triple crank is going in it's place - once the frame is back from some paintwork.
Old 07-21-18, 10:08 AM
toast3d

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to suggest using a cheater bar for additional leverage. Glad to see you got the crank arms off.
Old 07-21-18, 10:50 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 98 Posts
They're off. Both of them. It was a combination of PB Blaster, heat, and some hammering of the puller with an old hammer handle that did it. Wow! Those cranks were not coming off without some serious torque. Don't know what torque was used to tighten the crank bolts, but I'm guessing it was a lot higher than the spec calls for. Probably some "mechanic" tightening them by "feel" instead of using a torque wrench.
Not necessarily. Sometimes things just get corroded together, especially if they have not been disturbed for a long long time.
Old 07-21-18, 10:11 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Maybe not- if they were installed 30 years ago with the tapers cleaned of any grease at the specified 300 to 400 inch-pounds of torque... they won't come off without a bunch of force. I've resorted to hammering on the handle of the crank puller a few times.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-21-18, 11:09 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
I've only experienced this once and that was with a Miyata 1000 that I bought a couple months back. I'm pretty sure that nothing had been done to the Miyata since new as it still had the original tires and the original sponge on the bars, etc. The crank was tight on both sides, but a couple whacks (and who wouldn't want to whack a crank?) with a light hammer on the old Park crank tool and they were free, free, free at last.
Old 07-22-18, 08:19 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

There was very little corrosion evident once the cranks were off, and the tapers were covered in PB Blaster so I couldn't tell if they were assembled dry or not. On the positive, they weren't going to come loose without something dramatic happening. I guess you'd have to say that the install was properly done from that perspective. Once the TdF stage is complete, I'll take the BB out and get the frame/fork cleaned up and ready for paint.

I ordered some white paint markers for the Pinarello (Uni Posca extra-fine) but they're coming from Japan, so won't have them for a little while. Hopefully they will work well for the panto on the Pinarello. I need to service the hubs, install pedals, and set up the cockpit - then the Pinarello will be ready for a maiden voyage.