Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Youth Flat Bar Road Bike recommendations?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 05:14 PM
word_nerd

Bikes: Fuji Track and 1984 Puch Classic FG conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, the kid has outgrown his youth BMX style bike. He's about to turn 11 in September. He's taller than average (58" and growing), so we're hesitant to get him another kids bike. Also, he's really excited about getting something more road worthy. A lot of kids bikes seem much more off road (read: bigger, slower tires) oriented. I'm looking for recommendations of affordable adult bikes (road or hybrid with flat bars) that may come in extra small or extra extra small frames. We would also look into youth bikes if there's something that he's likely get a few good years out of that meets these criteria. But so far, I haven't see such a thing. I know there are some that have drop bars, but we're really hoping for flat or riser bars.

Thanks in advance for any leads.
Old 08-31-18, 11:37 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
https://www.raleighusa.com/talus-26

tough age and size to fit. Any 700c bikes will have significant heel strike due to the frame size. And 650 wheel bikes are all drop bar or step thru/city style frames.

the talus has 26" wheels which are great for 10-13 years old depending on height. Reduced chance of heelstrike and less wonky frame geometry.

650 wheelsize would be odeal, but most are drop bars.
Old 09-01-18, 11:56 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Check out SE Bikes.

Bought my nephew an SE Tripel(3 speed Nexus) internal hub, to run around campus his freshman year at university.

The Tripel comes with 700x32 tires.
Smallest frame size looks like 49cm.
Weight is about 27lbs.

I can't address 650b vs. 700c wheel size issues, but SE Bikes are pretty solidly made...BMX heritage if I'm not wrong.

SE Sizing Guide:
Old 09-02-18, 06:49 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by word_nerd
Hello, the kid has outgrown his youth BMX style bike. He's about to turn 11 in September. He's taller than average (58" and growing), so we're hesitant to get him another kids bike. Also, he's really excited about getting something more road worthy. A lot of kids bikes seem much more off road (read: bigger, slower tires) oriented. I'm looking for recommendations of affordable adult bikes (road or hybrid with flat bars) that may come in extra small or extra extra small frames. We would also look into youth bikes if there's something that he's likely get a few good years out of that meets these criteria. But so far, I haven't see such a thing. I know there are some that have drop bars, but we're really hoping for flat or riser bars.

Thanks in advance for any leads.
There are options. Both Trek and Giant do their flat-bar road bikes in 'women's' versions that run to the height range you are looking for.

Trek's FX bikes come in an 'xs' size that accommodates cyclists 147 to 156 cms/height.
https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/b...colorCode=grey

Giant does its Fastroad and Escape bikes in this size under the 'Liv' brand names Thrive and Alight. The xs size fits 145 to 160 cms. Example: https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/thrive-2-disc-2019

Either would do exactly what you want. I'm sure the 'xs' size in Specialized's 'women's Sirrus' would suit as well: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/wo...=239862-129001
Old 09-10-18, 05:31 PM
word_nerd

Bikes: Fuji Track and 1984 Puch Classic FG conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the great suggestions. We'll be heading to the bike shop this weekend to check out various sizes. Much appreciated!
Old 09-10-18, 05:45 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/collections/kids-bikes/kids-hybrid/c/B426/

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/nishiki-boys-manitoba-24-hybrid-bike-17nisynshkmntbb24bjp/17nisynshkmntbb24bjp?camp=CSESG_pg1052121678_ecom_PLA_452&gclid=CjwKCAjwrNjcBRA3EiwAIIOvqxe0lN1aWv ykVOagVfddWPvH0gGzeLOmPdyEUikvjrNFy63xcjmDIxoCGd8QAvD_BwE
Old 09-10-18, 05:54 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by word_nerd
Thank you all for the great suggestions. We'll be heading to the bike shop this weekend to check out various sizes. Much appreciated!
The Tripel or another SE Bike in a single speed version could take a 28c tire and get him some of the 'road speed' youre looking for.

Would enjoy hearing how it turns out.