Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone else roll with slick tires?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 09:42 PM
Sonoma76

Bikes: 08 Seven Alaris, 07 Jamis Quest, 08 Swobo Dixon, 91 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aside from the guys on road bikes, those of us on 26"/flat bar bikes usually have thicker, wider tires right?

I did on my Swobo for 1400 miles until I rode the Kenda Kwests into the ground. Those tires could handle about 65-80 psi and were decent, comfortable albeit slow tires.

Now I put on some Specialized Fat Boy slicks- 26" by 1.25 and I think I'm seeing a modest increase in speed because I can inflate them to 100 psi. Definitely a little bit bumpier, but I think it's worth it.

I'm a little more worried about flats, but the tires seem to offer decent protection. I probably can't corner as well now right? Any other effects I should be aware of? Or is the difference overblown.
Old 03-16-09, 09:48 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a bit overblown, until the wet comes along
awesome bike by the way!
slicks are totally cool!

I particularly like WTB Vulpine 2.1's
last year, the WTB crew coaxed me into a set for my Hunter 29er
and i'll be damned! those tires do rock. they take a bunch of PSI, and have a wide range of use.
at the moment i even have a set on my Big Dummy. they even seem to handle a decent cargo load without any punctures or excessive wear... so far.
Old 03-16-09, 11:43 PM
weavers

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
get toe straps or clipless pedals, those will make you alot faster. as for tires, yeah slicks are great and a good deal faster than knoobie tires yet have the same flat protection. just take it easy in couners when its raining, you see sand, railroad tracks, manhole covers or painted roads. so if any of those are wet then slow down alot, otherwise just ride as fast as you can.
Old 03-17-09, 05:07 AM
iflyskyhawks

Bikes: 2006 Felt F75, 2005 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Trek Valencia has Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase slicks - the key to them being more stable and commuter friendly is that they're 700x32. So far, they've done an amazing job of deflecting road debris and have handled wet commutes pretty well...
Old 03-17-09, 05:55 AM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run Conti Gatorskins 26x1 1/8 slicks on my commuter, a Scott SUB 30. Like you, I ran the Kenda Kwests into the ground, but they were great tires and lasted through a summer of everyday riding. The gatorskins are rated up to 116psi, I run at about that. I've only flatted once having them, and that was due to a faulty tube.
Old 03-17-09, 06:10 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sonoma76
Aside from the guys on road bikes, those of us on 26"/flat bar bikes usually have thicker, wider tires right?
Sure, but "thicker wider" is a relative thing -- and there are plenty of commuters running slicks.
Old 03-17-09, 06:26 AM
Abacus
Decrepit Member

Bikes: 2003 Trek 520, 1996 Trek 370, 1996 Bianchi Osprey, too many others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have thought a better question would be "Anyone doesn't roll with slick tires".

Most commuters I see use slicks.
Old 03-17-09, 06:57 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure how Marathon Racer tires count. I suppose they are fattish slicks with minimal tread. Nice tires. About as tough as the Marathons but lots lighter therefore faster.
Old 03-17-09, 07:51 AM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have some serious love for my 2" Marathon Supremes. Ran my studded tires for 3 days the other week,and couldn't wait to put the Supremes back on. They roll great,handle great,even in rain,zero flats,and after like 2k miles don't show much wear. Def buying another set when these wear down.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-17-09, 07:56 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine are pretty much slicks.
Just a very light checkerboard pattern.

Old 03-17-09, 07:59 AM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I also want to put slicks on my new Hardrock and have been looking at either the Specialized Armadillo 1.95 tires (Crossroads, Hemisphere) or the Continental Town and Country Tire 2.1, does anyone use either of these tires? I want something that retains the look of the current mountain bikes tires which are 2.0 but are faster than the stock tires.
Old 03-17-09, 09:03 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a set of Vredestein Fortezza SE Road Tires on my commuter.
Old 03-17-09, 09:43 AM
Bat22
Didn't make it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered a set of Armadillo all weather slicks with reflective sidewall.
Normally ride with 28's, I'll try the 25's for test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0436.jpg (62.3 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Bat22; 03-17-09 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-17-09, 09:50 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aside from the guys on road bikes
awh hell.

Old 03-17-09, 09:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
nice bike / nice tires

here's mine
Attached Images
Michelin City Trekking.jpg (31.9 KB, 26 views)
innova_swifter.jpg (16.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-17-09, 10:10 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by d2create
Mine are pretty much slicks.
Just a very light checkerboard pattern.

D2, how do you like those? I was noticing those on the Riv site, and they looked interesting...a heck of a lot better than the shoes I'm running now.

To answer your question, I don't have slicks, but the surface is slick, if that makes sense (they're back-cut into the tire, not knobbed tires).
Old 03-17-09, 10:44 AM
Butterthebean
1 bike 2 many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a little more worried about flats, but the tires seem to offer decent protection. I probably can't corner as well now right? Any other effects I should be aware of? Or is the difference overblown.
Why would you be worried about flats? You are less likely to get a flat with the higher pressure tires than the lower pressure tires. Believe me, your chance of getting flats just went down. Of course, regardless of tire pressure, some tires just have better flat protection than others. And sometimes, a person puts on new tires and then just happens to go through a bad stretch where they get 2 or 3 flats in a short period of time...and they blame it on the tire, when in fact it could have just been bad luck

Originally Posted by weavers
just take it easy in couners when its raining, you see sand, railroad tracks, manhole covers or painted roads. so if any of those are wet then slow down alot, otherwise just ride as fast as you can.
Actually, the slicks will corner better than knobbies or thick treads. Putting on slicks does not mean less traction when it comes to bicycles. Knobbies and thick treaded tires have alot less surface touching the road as slicks...therefore less traction.

Slicks are just better all the way around unless you're riding in slush, ice or slime.
Old 03-17-09, 10:47 AM
Butterthebean
1 bike 2 many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all right here from Sheldon Brown himself....

"Tread for on-road use"
"Bicycle tires for on-road use have no need of any sort of tread features; in fact, the best road tires are perfectly smooth, with no tread at all!
Unfortunately, most people assume that a smooth tire will be slippery, so this type of tire is difficult to sell to unsophisticated cyclists. Most tire makers cater to this by putting a very fine pattern on their tires, mainly for cosmetic and marketing reasons. If you examine a section of asphalt or concrete, you'll see that the texture of the road itself is much "knobbier" than the tread features of a good quality road tire. Since the tire is flexible, even a slick tire deforms as it comes into contact with the pavement, acquiring the shape of the pavement texture, only while incontact with the road. People ask, "But don't slick tires get slippery on wet roads, or worse yet, wet metal features such as expansion joints, paint stripes, or railroad tracks?" The answer is, yes, they do. So do tires with tread. All tires are slippery in these conditions. Tread features make no improvement in this."
Old 03-17-09, 10:56 AM
anthegreat1
Custom User Title

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i run Botranger Hardcases and have never had a flat since i bought them. I ride a FG so the wet isn't as scary because i always have control
Old 03-17-09, 11:27 AM
Sonoma76

Bikes: 08 Seven Alaris, 07 Jamis Quest, 08 Swobo Dixon, 91 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I knew I should have looked at Sheldon Brown for an answer to this question first!
Old 03-18-09, 03:11 AM
ryhonrei
Bridgestone Comet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Sonoma76, that's a really cool bike.

I now run Conti 26" X 1.3 slicks at 80psi on my Bridgestone MB5. Previously, I used the 26" X 1.6 but after switching to the 1.3, there's no going back. I also use Shimano clipless pedals.

Wet roads/rainy days generally do not pose a problem. However, there was one time on a rainy day I was changing lanes and had to brake hard to avoid a motorist who suddenly switched lanes right in front of me. My back tyre was astride the white line and it kicked out from under as it lost traction. But the front end was on asphalt so it was okay.

Just thought I'd mention it....

Safe riding, all !
Old 03-18-09, 06:32 AM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MulliganAl
I also want to put slicks on my new Hardrock and have been looking at either the Specialized Armadillo 1.95 tires (Crossroads, Hemisphere) or the Continental Town and Country Tire 2.1, does anyone use either of these tires? I want something that retains the look of the current mountain bikes tires which are 2.0 but are faster than the stock tires.
I've used both. My Safari(daily commuter) came w/T&C's. They rolled well,handled well,and actually did really well in snow/slush. But after my 5th flat(2fr,3r),they had to go. The older models apparently had puncture protection,the current ones do not. I switched them for a set of standard Flak Jacket Crossroads for winter. They were heavy,but otherwise I liked them. Zero flats,did good in snow,and handled well despite the tread. They're also available with reflective sidewalls.

If you want fat tires that'll fly,spend the dosh on Marathon Supremes. Def worth it. If they're too rich for your blood,Big Apples are heavier but cheaper. If you want some tread,Serfas Drifters are very similar to T&C's,but do have puncture protection,and can be had with reflective sidewalls. I've used them in 1.5" and was very happy with them.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-18-09, 06:39 AM
mrbrown

Bikes: Upgraded Scott Sub 20 in silver; Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc 2006 in limited edition Army green; Dahon Curve D3 foldable in white; Dahon MU P24 in blue.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maxxis Colombiere 26"x1.3 on my Scott Sub 20, Panaracer Tserv Messenger 26"x1.25 on my Specialized Hardrock, and Marathon Racers on my Dahon Mu P24.

All slicks, all good. Love it. The Panaracer has decent wet grip and puncture protection. Marathon Racers too. The Maxxis less so for both.
Old 03-18-09, 06:44 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I like the looks of 2" slicks. They more closely match the look of original MTB tires. Plus they're fun. Mine only got up to 60 lbs but they are plenty hard and fast.
Old 03-18-09, 08:05 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mickey85
D2, how do you like those? I was noticing those on the Riv site, and they looked interesting...a heck of a lot better than the shoes I'm running now.
So far so good. I had Panaracer Pasela Tourguards before and those were awesome and I believe Panaracer makes these for Riv. I've got almost 1000 miles on these so far and they roll real nice and seem fairly flat resistant so far, but always use mr tuffy tire liners just in case. I keep them pumped to around 60psi. On one of my first rides I got a huge staple stuck in the tire but i think the tire liner deflected it so I didn't flat, i just heard it on each tire revolution and had to pull over to yank it out. I'd recommend them if you don't mind the tan sidewalls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.