Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

So, what is a hybrid supposed to look like?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 11:58 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts

Well...

To me, I don't think it really matters.

Last edited by Dannihilator; 08-13-09 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-13-09, 01:00 AM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a comfort bike and a mountain bike love each other very much...

I think most hybrids are a mix between mountain bikes and comfort bikes, maybe a little road geometry thrown in on some.
Old 08-14-09, 02:36 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,496 Posts
Hello actualy a road, mountain and comfort bike.. when Bianchi invented and market the first hybrid with the Advantage in '88 the took the took the 700c road wheels and combined it with the upright riding position of a comfort or cruiser bike. then took the a geomentry that was not as steep and agressive as a road bike but not as relaxed as a mountain bike (which had very relaxed frames in '88) and put mountain bike gearing and brakes on it. tires were not as fat as mountain bikes but not super skinny like a road bike. the result was a comfortable stable riding bike that felt like a cruiser but was faster and could handle dirt cycling and hiking paths better than road bike.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-14-09, 05:08 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Hello actualy a road, mountain and comfort bike.. when Bianchi invented and market the first hybrid with the Advantage in '88 the took the took the 700c road wheels and combined it with the upright riding position of a comfort or cruiser bike. then took the a geomentry that was not as steep and agressive as a road bike but not as relaxed as a mountain bike (which had very relaxed frames in '88) and put mountain bike gearing and brakes on it. tires were not as fat as mountain bikes but not super skinny like a road bike. the result was a comfortable stable riding bike that felt like a cruiser but was faster and could handle dirt cycling and hiking paths better than road bike.
Now it varies all over the map. I have a relatively early hybrid, a Univega Via de Oro which fits the above description well. I also have a Swobo Dixon and a Civia Hyland. The Swobo is a 26" wheel bike closer to the pre suspension MTB in appearance except for disc brakes and IGH while the Civia Hyland is a 700C wheeled frame with pretty much what used to be referred to as 'sports touring" geometry per Frank Berto's book from 1988 on upgrading your bike. The Civia is sold as a fast commuter bike while the Swobo is apparently more casual use oriented.

Novara even offers a drop bar bike that I would consider a hybrid in many respects, as are many loaded touring bikes. In fact to me the loaded touring bike is probably the closest "classic" form of bike to what the average hybrid has become. They had wide range triple gearing, relatively relaxed frame geometry and could take considerably wider tires than the standard "ten speed" road bike. Pretty close to what is now considered a hybrid bike by most riders.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 08-14-09, 06:34 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most roses are hybrids nowadays.

Sorry.

You can get back to bicycles now.
Old 08-14-09, 06:56 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Was the Bianchi Volpe not first? Around that same time.
Old 08-14-09, 07:19 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
It's a fast bike that allows one to view the panorama around them. Equally at home at a leisurely pace, or zipping along quite fast.
Old 08-14-09, 09:54 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sort of a cross between a road bike and beach cruiser. Anything can come out. Comfort bikes, flat bar road bikes and fixies are common types of hybrids.
Old 08-14-09, 10:22 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Hybrid is the term marketers have used to describe the modern urban bicycle which is generally an upright with slack frame angles, a gearing between that of an mtb and road bike, and with provisions for fenders and racks.

A looser description is the combination of different elements taken from all types of cycling to build a bicycle to suit ones particular needs.
Old 08-15-09, 02:02 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthers007
It's a fast bike that allows one to view the panorama around them. Equally at home at a leisurely pace, or zipping along quite fast.
While a hybrid is a great bike, fast is usually a term that doesn't jump to mind when I think of one.
Old 08-15-09, 03:30 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
While a hybrid is a great bike, fast is usually a term that doesn't jump to mind when I think of one.
Try to find a Trek FX-series bike. Then you'll understand. Some hybrids are more like a mountain-bike. Such as the 7000-series from Trek. Others are more like road-bikes in terms of the speedy and nimble ride.

Hybrids are like a pendulum swinging between a mtn-bike and a road-bike. Some are more toward the road-bike, while another may be more like a mtn-machine. With a little observation, it's easy to see if Trek 'X' is more this way - or that is more like a road-bike. It's depending on which you favor.

Happy Trails!
Old 08-15-09, 05:47 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The term hybrid is a misnomer - it should be the city or utility bike. The classic English three speed and French porteur bikes are the ancestor of today's hybrid. It refers to any bike that is not strictly a road or a mountain bike. As in "between" bikes, hybrids are the Rodney Dangerfields of the bike world. They're dismissed as a fallback bike for the ones people want to get but are either too lazy or too cheap to get. Which is not fair. Hence this new forum.
Old 08-15-09, 05:52 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you like a leisurely ride, the old three speed would take people to the shop or to a picnic in the park. There are hybrids that can go fast but people don't buy them primarily with speed in mind. A hybrid is typically for comfort first and second for utility or touring/cycle camping roles. Another term for them is the Swiss Army Knife of bikes.
Old 08-15-09, 06:21 AM
al-wagner
Happy old man

Bikes: Trek 4500 mountain bike, Trek 7500fx disk, and Trek 2200 Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Trek 7500FX with disk brakes it weights about 22 pounds. It has a road bike frame with mountain bike handle bars and 700x32 slick tires. It is a lot faster then my mountain but not quite as fast as my Trek 2200 road bike. The 2200 is about 20 pounds with 700x23 tires.

In New England we have nine months of winter and three months of damned poor sledding.
Old 08-15-09, 08:47 AM
Elad63

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so a touring bike is also a hybrid.
Old 08-15-09, 10:29 AM
Cfd
Lives2ride

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fred Birchmore2.jpg (82.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-15-09, 11:12 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
So would this bike be considered an almost hybrid? Trek Navigator. It's got 26 inch wheels but it's not a mtb bike. Geometry is definitely not mtb.

Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-16-09, 02:06 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elad63
Well, kinda, sorta, but not really. A hybrid can be set up to be utilized as a tourer, or a touring frame can been set up and marketed as a hybrid.

My bikes shown in the pics thread, we have three different companies, two hybrids and a tourer and the geometry is nearly identical. The trek and performance have fork rack mounts and the third doesn't. The performance, being marketed as a touring bike has a third cage mount that the hybrids do not.

As I've said elsewhere, the reason I ended up with my trek was in part because it was like a really low end/entry level touring type set up that cost maybe half as much as a truely entry level touring bike.

I'd also like to say that I was not very knowledgeable about different bikes when I got my 750 and then a few years later I was working at a shop. I learned quite a bit about different bikes while I was there, but the definition of a hybrid was quite narrow. We drew a clear distintion between hybrids and comfort bikes, often referring to the comfort bike as the ford explorer of the mtb world. Although you could take it offroad, most people never would and if they did, they weren't going muddin'.

I guess generally speaking, a hybrid is a general purpose bike intended for those who don't want a single usage type of bike, ie. trail-tour-race. It attempts to combine all the best features from these, and just like with any recipe, some interpretations work out better than others. But you can always season to your own taste.
Old 08-16-09, 02:12 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Yes, its a hybrid mtb/cruiser (baloon tire) bike. It has the performance features of a mtb with the positioning of an old single/multi speed precurser to the mtb, built to be used predominantly on the pavement.
Old 08-16-09, 03:05 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Okay cool! I was wondering where it would fit in. Thanks!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-16-09, 05:42 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Elad63
This seems to be the consensus. I'd prefer to give touring bikes their own category, but there's lots of gray area. A tourer with flat bars or 26" wheels would fit my definition of hybrid.
Old 08-16-09, 05:47 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by droobieinop
...I guess generally speaking, a hybrid is a general purpose bike intended for those who don't want a single usage type of bike, ie. trail-tour-race. It attempts to combine all the best features from these, and just like with any recipe, some interpretations work out better than others. But you can always season to your own taste.
Well said, I agree.
Old 08-16-09, 06:18 PM
droobieinop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanx... took a little thought and inspiration.
Old 08-25-09, 09:12 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me a Hybrid bike has flat bars, the ability to have fenders/rack/other junk and is lighter/thinner than a mtb. It's meant for general riding, but allowing for going off curbs/bumpy roads/grass/a bit of gravel.

This has been the experience of my hybrid bike, anyway. I get my ass handed to me by roadies, even dirty hippies riding old road bikes wearing flip flops a lot though, so hybrids are (IMO) slower than road bikes. Best I can get so far on my hybrid on a flat road is 32 km/h and that's if I'm working HARD.
Old 08-26-09, 06:49 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
So would this bike be considered an almost hybrid? Trek Navigator. It's got 26 inch wheels but it's not a mtb bike. Geometry is definitely not mtb.

Navigators definitely trend to the comfort bike end of the spectrum, super upright riding position and heavy, with the comfort bike suspension fork. A Navigator 300 is what got me back into cycling. It's been moved on and has now gotten a buddy into cycling as well. Great bike for those starting out and for anybody not in a big hurry. They really are a comfortable and reliable ride. I rode mine for about 2000 trouble free miles before moving it along in favor of the Coda.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.