Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ISO: LeMond Washoe, 57 (L)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

ISO: LeMond Washoe, 57 (L)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 10:21 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Badbird2000
I had a Zurich myself back in the mid 2000's. I sold it about 10 years ago and have regretted it ever since. That was the best riding bike I ever owned. I would love to find another one.
I was lucky enough to find a guy that bought one intending to build it up and never did. So the bike is essentially brand new.
Old 01-17-20, 11:01 AM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
I own a 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, Ira and Tony are amazing people to work with.
Old 01-22-20, 05:04 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
I'm wanting to keep the frameset cost under $2k. Given that the Washoe is impossible to find, would a Cinelli Nemo Tig be a close alternative? ​​​​​​​

Old 01-23-20, 02:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I'm wanting to keep the frameset cost under $2k. Given that the Washoe is impossible to find, would a Cinelli Nemo Tig be a close alternative?
https://www.cinelli-usa.com/nemo-tig-frameset/
A rim brake frame is $2400

https://www.cinelli-usa.com/news/cinelli-nemo-tig/ this claims the frame is made to measure, but the first link shows its sold in 6 sizes.

As for if this is a close alternative to the Washoe, its of similar overall weight, quality tubing, and cost. But really- compare the geometry of the frame size you would ride for the Washoe to the frame size you would ride for the Nemo. Thats how you can figure out if its a close alternative.
The Nemo, like many bikes, is a totally different feeling bike in the smallest size vs the largest. The smallest size has 71mm of trail with 28mm tires while the largest size has 55mm of trail. It pays to compare apples to apples.

As for the cost- they sure managed to match the Washoe price!
Old 01-23-20, 04:02 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.cinelli-usa.com/nemo-tig-frameset/
A rim brake frame is $2400

https://www.cinelli-usa.com/news/cinelli-nemo-tig/ this claims the frame is made to measure, but the first link shows its sold in 6 sizes.

As for if this is a close alternative to the Washoe, its of similar overall weight, quality tubing, and cost. But really- compare the geometry of the frame size you would ride for the Washoe to the frame size you would ride for the Nemo. Thats how you can figure out if its a close alternative.
The Nemo, like many bikes, is a totally different feeling bike in the smallest size vs the largest. The smallest size has 71mm of trail with 28mm tires while the largest size has 55mm of trail. It pays to compare apples to apples.

As for the cost- they sure managed to match the Washoe price!
Well, I thought I had a source for the stock-sized Nemo at ~$1600, but they're sold out of my size.

I've struggled to find anything with the exact geometry of the Washoe . . . found something close, but not exact. I'm also looking at the Eddy Merckx Roubaix 70

and the Eddy Merckx Strada

The Roubaix is made with Columbus Zona . . . so fairly hefty. The Strada is made with Merckx Premium Steel . . . whatever that means. Can't find any ride reports on the Strada either.
Old 01-23-20, 05:23 PM
Slybry

Bikes: 99' Torelli Nitro Express, 90' Miyata 414, 09' Guru Evolo, Eigthinch Scrambler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked at the Holdsworth Competition Frameset from Planet X? I know it isn't in the same price range (much cheaper) but has comparable tubing with Columbus Spirit, frameset weight, and geometery as the washoe. Also similar look if you were wanting to go for the orange. Worth checking out in my opinion.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO...ition-frameset

Old 01-23-20, 11:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by RNAV
Well, I thought I had a source for the stock-sized Nemo at ~$1600, but they're sold out of my size.

I've struggled to find anything with the exact geometry of the Washoe . . . found something close, but not exact. I'm also looking at the Eddy Merckx Roubaix 70

The Roubaix is made with Columbus Zona . . . so fairly hefty. The Strada is made with Merckx Premium Steel . . . whatever that means. Can't find any ride reports on the Strada either.
the frame I built was with Zona tubing. Yes it isnt as light as some other options, but it also isnt heavy. There are multiple versions of Zona too, so much depends on what butting profile is used.
My 65cm frame weights 1970g painted. A more common size would obviously weigh a good bit less.
The claimed 1490g weight of the Roubaix 70 is crazy light. I would guess that is the smallest frame, but the website doesnt specify(absurd that it is omitted).
Room for 25mm tires at max is quite surprising. Seems a bit antiquated as there is just no harm in designing to fit up to 28.
And why isnt the frameset listed on the merckx website? Odd.

The lack of info on the strada frame is again, odd. Why ot give details about the frame? It just isnt asking much and small brands really should give details to separate themselves from the large brands.
Old 01-24-20, 06:13 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Room for 25mm tires at max is quite surprising. Seems a bit antiquated as there is just no harm in designing to fit up to 28.
It was trendy to build them super-tight for a while. A number of road bikes couldn't fit anything bigger than a large-ish 23, and only now it's becoming more common to fit 28s.
Old 01-24-20, 06:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It was trendy to build them super-tight for a while. A number of road bikes couldn't fit anything bigger than a large-ish 23, and only now it's becoming more common to fit 28s.
Yes. This a new/recent frame though...at least I think it is. The lack of details from a quick search make it difficult to tell for sure. Seeming like a recent frame, I figured the clearance wouldn't be so tight.