Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Northeast Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-15, 08:54 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
... (Typical CDR goodness and measured thoughts)
I didn't realize that cloth numbers were such a nuisance for promoters. I don't feel that they are necessary, even for a stage race. But what it felt like to me was this whole 'nickle and dime'd' experience at all of this promoter's races. The numbers just felt like icing on the cake, expensive registration, no ability to transfer to ANYONE (really?), poorly done TT times, and absolutely laughable prize money just felt like a series of financial cut corners that everyone at the race noticed and felt. But really I am not super attached to them (aside from the pins), just that perceived cut corner.

I like to think that if a race promoter atleast extends some sort of olive branch out to the racers. Be that GMSR and KSR offering reimbursement if you cancel early, or rider transfers between team members, or weekly series like Bethel and Wells Ave being super cheap and weekly series (IMO anyone who runs a weekly series is going above and beyond), or even Tokeneke offering marshals 50% off of race registration. Any of those things show that the promoter cares about the racing community and they deserve our support.

But if you nickle and dime every which way, yeah, sorry I won't cut a promoter any slack
Old 08-07-15, 09:00 AM
island rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
no. but based on what I heard about that race last year I was surprised it was even a consideration.
Any chance of elaborating? Just curiosity on my part.
Old 08-07-15, 09:07 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All your points are logical and well made.

However, the fact is that promoters are leaving the sport and people are not stepping up to replace them. It has gotten quite difficult to put a race on with all of the cost increases from the federation, insurance, State agencies, difficult local municipalities, police etc. I've been observing the trend over the past 8 years and seen a general decline in interest. I have also participated in enough events on the side of the promoter that I know what they have to deal with first hand. I also know some of the numbers regarding profit and loss for some events.

I think it is every person's right to decide where they spend their money and to lodge complaints against people who have provided them a service. I also believe every person (who provides a service) has the right to decide that they have had enough, and it's not worth it to them any more. That is the decision that promoters have been making all throughout the state of NY (not just the promoter of ToC).

Part of this is that, when faced with a no-win scenario, all you get are complaints, there is only one logical course of action: Cut your losses and get out while you still have your health and sanity.

Cost-cutting measures suck, indeed. The thing is, those must have been made as a result of simply not having any actual revenue with which to pay for premium stuff. It really has changed in the past few years, and the cost of putting on a race has skyrocketed. Crits on closed courses in a corporate park might be the exception, but we are talking about road races involving public roads, several counties, many towns, different police departments, more expensive fees, etc.

So it comes down to a choice. I choose not to pay if the cost is too high, but I also choose to have understanding regarding the realities of what the promoters are facing in this day and age.

It's not the Tour de France. It's amateur. We are supposed to be doing this for fun. If results matter so much that it obscures that sense of fun, then it seems likely that it wasn't actually about fun to begin with.
Old 08-07-15, 09:08 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dislike promoters complaining about people not pre registering, but also having no refund/transfer policies.
Old 08-07-15, 09:24 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by island rider
Any chance of elaborating? Just curiosity on my part.

I don't recall specifically but it was something like an altercation between a racer and guys on the course, and some woman walking onto the course and causing a big crash.
Old 08-07-15, 09:44 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
I dislike promoters complaining about people not pre registering, but also having no refund/transfer policies.
even worse are the promoters who prompt to chastise you for holding up posting of results while you register the day of by saying you could have saved $10 and made registration a bit easier. You subsequently have to remind her that given you were almost taken out during the race the previous day, you were right in your judgment not to pre-reg as you could have spent $40 for nothing
Old 08-07-15, 09:47 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by Wesley36
Millersburg this weekend! Psyched for my first stage race
have fun. line up early to the crit as it's technical and the back of the pack will get shredded

wish i could be there, but my TT bike is out of action, which makes $300 just for a really fun crit awfully hard to justify...
Old 08-07-15, 10:45 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
millersburg crit is fun. i made it about five laps (in which I went from last wheel to top 10) before getting crashed out, ruining my jawbones, and taking a trip to the hospital :/

that was a fun summer of bike racing, but I was so damn burnt out when i lined up for that race.

WRT a certain stage race in NY promoted by a certain promoter - i knew what I was getting into. I did it because it's a very unique race and i'm willing to pay a premium for a 75+ mile cat 3 road race.
Old 08-07-15, 01:38 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

@mike868y, that's a pretty impressive effort. I know how hard it is to start from the back and try to move up in a hard crit

@Wesley36, seems like i'll be able to make it after all. I'll be on a white scott foil with pink bar tapes, and i ride for c3 twenty20
Old 08-07-15, 02:22 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
whoa, since when do you ride for twenty20? the baltimore shop was my go to while at hopkins.
Old 08-07-15, 02:33 PM
EastCoastDHer

Bikes: 1998 Specialized FSR 26", 1998 Trek Wade Boots Team Issue 2 XXL 20", 2001 Cortina DH Extreme 8 26", 1999 Sinister DNA (work in progress) 26", 2001 LeMond Zurich (work in progress) 700c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Lime Rock was fun. I did it last year, and I'm friends with the promoter. Unfortunately it's up against the freedom tour (a strangely named crit) which is a much bigger race.
FML how did I miss this?!

....oooh....I was busy snuggling chickens. :/

And hunter, wtf, I'm due for some Catskill time. Of course I missed Mountain Jam this year along with too much work to ride at patty :/

A boy can dream....
Old 08-07-15, 04:18 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by mike868y
whoa, since when do you ride for twenty20? the baltimore shop was my go to while at hopkins.
just this year. 2nd year of the road team, though their CX team is better known. A friend (also Columbia alumnus) joined this year, and i went along as it's a small team
Old 08-07-15, 04:41 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
pretty sure guys have been racing road for them for a lot longer than two years.
Old 08-07-15, 07:14 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
If there is anything I can do to help the spring series happen, please reach out. I would really hate to see it go.
Originally Posted by island rider
Same here. Although I would really prefer it in Bethel, or somewhere closer...
Thanks. Thinking of things. Problem with NB is the expense. Bethel is traffic.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-07-15, 07:17 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by wens
Me too. A co-promoter (Bethel SPring Series) emailed a different promoter asking to transfer his entry because the co-promoter had a 104 deg fever and it didn't seem like a good idea to race the next day. No refund, no transfer. Stuff like that seems silly to me. Promoters, for the most part, reap what they sow, and that's me speaking as a promoter.

The profit thing is a different question, one that I don't answer well.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-07-15, 07:18 PM
carpediemracing 

dupe
Old 08-07-15, 08:33 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I realize that promoters have a decent amount of upfront cash outlay, and pre reg helps distribute that risk, but if you look at a whole season or even month of racing, I can have a few hundred in entry fees in a busy month, so I don't want to take on that risk without some benefit to me.

It seems like offering a five buck discount for pre reg after fees, and offering to refund everything but the fees up to five days before the race no questions asked would be a solid compromise. In that case even if you lose six weeks of racing times three races per week average, which seems pretty worst case, you'd only lose like fifty bucks, so the payback is only a season or so on five dollar discounts. I'm sure some guys would still hold off to check the weather or whatever, but I wouldn't mind registering a couple weeks early in that case. Especially since credit card billing cycle mean a fair chunk of the time I'd actually pay at the same time while giving the promoter money ahead of time.
Old 08-08-15, 04:21 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
In the old days we mailed checks in from ads in the back of velonews. I think promoters across the board should do away with day of, and close reg at some agreed upon interval prior to the race -- if they're really serious about changing the present last minute culture. There's really no advantage to a racer to register weeks in advance the way things stand.
Old 08-08-15, 09:58 AM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
@mike868y, that's a pretty impressive effort. I know how hard it is to start from the back and try to move up in a hard crit

@Wesley36, seems like i'll be able to make it after all. I'll be on a white scott foil with pink bar tapes, and i ride for c3 twenty20
Cool, I am in black and red Cyclelogik kit, cat 4/5.
Stunk up the TT - 30/33, tho I did it Merckx. Or Semi-merckx (deep-ish wheels). Let's call it motivation for getting on the rollers in the dead of winter.
Old 08-08-15, 10:40 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
People don't remember how it was even 5 years ago when aside from NRC races if you were outside the top 10 you sometimes did not know your result for weeks.
If you're outside the top 10, does it matter ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-08-15, 10:48 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
No doubt
Old 08-08-15, 11:09 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Anyone else thinking of the Rochester Twilight Crit? I've never done it but it seems like it could be a lot of fun.
Old 08-08-15, 11:42 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I was healthy I was planning on it. Love those races.

I am working both Masters fields tomorrow at Tokeneke. The M50+ is the largest field (70+) but fortunately I will have a Moto. Please say hi.
Old 08-08-15, 04:13 PM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Died in the crit - first crit I have done with a real hill. I was with the lead group for the first few laps, pulled out and could not stop coughing and hacking for about 15 min. I am hoping it was just exercise induced asthma, looking for redemption in the road race tomorrow.
While I was probably just plain out-gunned, I probably need to start doing two a day interval sessions for future stage races. Really not used to racing twice in a day.
Some days/ fields I feel strong and capable, other days I just get owned.
Still tho, fun stuff.
Old 08-08-15, 04:19 PM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lanterne rouge!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.