Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Standover height

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Standover height

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-06, 12:17 AM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Lennard Zinn also has a book on MTBs of same name subst MTB for RB. Also a chapter on MTB fit.
Old 06-23-18, 09:21 PM
Mulletforhire

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
It's the right size. As we age, some things on each gender tend to "hang down" a bit more. If you were exactly the same height at 22 years old, you'd probably have that 3" of clearance.

Lol as I just bought a bike that is a 19" hard tail, when I was around 20 years old I also bought a 19". With the new technology and sloping top tube I thought I'd have more clearance and was convinced the bike was too big. Upon checking the actual bar height naked I can concur that gravity/age has affected my actual clearance. I'm really tempted to switch to a medium frame for the added clearance but the large feels great otherwise.
Old 06-27-18, 12:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
If your naughty bits ain't being barred when you have to stop, and you otherwise feel comfortable on it, don't worry about it.
Old 06-27-18, 01:39 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulletforhire
Lol as I just bought a bike that is a 19" hard tail, when I was around 20 years old I also bought a 19". With the new technology and sloping top tube I thought I'd have more clearance and was convinced the bike was too big. Upon checking the actual bar height naked I can concur that gravity/age has affected my actual clearance. I'm really tempted to switch to a medium frame for the added clearance but the large feels great otherwise.
Smaller frame or tighter shorts ... both add clearance
Old 06-27-18, 01:41 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12845 Post(s)
Liked 7,769 Times in 4,119 Posts
Originally Posted by toolba
Tube length is good. I was measured geometrically for that; but more importantly it feels right. I'm comfortable on the bike, I was just concerned about the minimal clearance.
Sounds like the manual is written for mountain bikes. I wouldn't say 3" is necessary for a commuter bike.
Old 06-28-18, 08:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
After I read your post yesterday, I realized that I had never checked the clearance on my new bike. I've put over 1000 miles on it since I bought it a month ago, so I decided to see how much I cleared it at the next stop light. It was clearly less than an inch, and I've never had a problem wherever I've needed to stop. Otherwise, this is by far the best fit I've ever had on a bike.

I think the moral is that some of the stuff in a manual is pretty stupid. If clearance really was a problem, you'd know it, painfully and quick.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-28-18 at 08:40 AM. Reason: add
Old 07-03-18, 09:24 AM
canerods

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.9, Fuji Roubaix 1.3, Diamondback Wildwood Trail Bike.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's my understanding that Standover Height is over the bar, not the seat. When I come to stop light I normally want to remain on the seat to be to ready to move out quickly when it turns green. To do this, I lean the bike slightly to the left with my left foot on the ground and right foot on the pedal ready to push forward.

However, with two feet on the ground, I have about 1/2" clearance over the bar... and I need to 'hike-up" on a pedal to swing over the bar to mount the seat. I think this normal... at least, I hope it is. When I first brought my new bike home I neglected to check the seat height and quickly learned a lesson about the importance of seat height as I toppled over when coming to a full stop... ouch.