Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Would locking Hydraulic brake "on" damage them? I was told they would.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 12:41 PM
KaisoArt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

People often Velcro their their brakes "on" when leaning their bikes against a support or using a Click Stand. It prevents the bike from rolling and falling. In fact, there are levers with lock buttons just for this purpose. However, I've only seen this done with cable brakes. I will soon be getting a bike with hydraulic brakes. In a shop I expressed that I wished I could get locking levers on hydraulics. They don't exist, so I said "I'll just have to use velcro." Someone in the shop said that would be bad for hydraulics. I can't see why. I works for mechanical disks. Thoughts?
Old 12-21-17, 01:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
There are a number of variables, but with a bit of common sense relating to how long and how hard you lock them, you shouldn't have any worries.

I suppose the guy at the shop was worried about possibly forcing oil to bleed past the seals. But that would depend on the design. Some brakes (may) use diaphragms, so there wouldn't be any sliding seals to bleed. But even if there were, a few hours locked lightly enough to hold a bike would cause far less bleeding than a single hard braking.

Since the brakes are able to handle hundreds of hard braking events, what you would do by gently locking them for a while is trivial by comparison.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-21-17, 01:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You can also use a strap around the down tube securing the wheel ,keeping it straight and nor rolling ,

if that hydro brake thing worries you . though mostly unfounded..

a thick rubber band looped from being hooked over the valve stem, over the down tube , and back to the valve stem

is cheap and effective, works, even if you have Mudguards..

Old 12-21-17, 01:27 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
This seems like an odd claim for the shop to make. One common piece of advice for getting air out of the lines is to zip tie the lever closed and leave it over night. Apparently the extra pressure encourages air bubbles to migrate to the top. I'd be interested to hear any explanation as to what the potential concerns are.
Old 12-21-17, 01:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

low pay = rapid staff turnover, so people without experience take the jobs.. and learn stuff

and move on when they can no longer pay the rent.
Old 12-21-17, 02:23 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
low pay = rapid staff turnover, so people without experience take the jobs.. and learn stuff

and move on when they can no longer pay the rent.

That's not even an insult! Lame!
Old 12-21-17, 02:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

So Kevin, do you live on a minimum wage job? , with no benefits , and have every one say "I can get it Cheaper online"..?
Old 12-21-17, 02:38 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by KaisoArt
People often Velcro their their brakes "on" when leaning their bikes against a support or using a Click Stand. It prevents the bike from rolling and falling. In fact, there are levers with lock buttons just for this purpose. However, I've only seen this done with cable brakes. I will soon be getting a bike with hydraulic brakes. In a shop I expressed that I wished I could get locking levers on hydraulics. They don't exist, so I said "I'll just have to use velcro." Someone in the shop said that would be bad for hydraulics. I can't see why. I works for mechanical disks. Thoughts?
if that were true, then every time you apply the brakes, they would be damaged.

i'd advise avoiding whoever told you that bad rumor, whenever possible.

EXTENDED PERIODS of hard-applied force might cause issues with the seals in the calipers taking on a new bend... those seals are why the caliper releases the pads from the discs when you release the levers, btw... the ONLY release force if the disc is dead-true, actually.... the seals are square profile, and kinda stick to the pistons... flex when brake applied, return to original shape when released.
Old 12-21-17, 03:37 PM
KaisoArt

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before this goes to far. Sorry for any confusion. It was NOT a shop mechanic that made the statement. Just another person hanging around who heard my comment. I did not want to debate it there, but wondered if there was some actual reason this idea had been born. It seems to me hard braking on a loaded touring bike would be more strenuous on the system. The only argument for it, is that no one makes locking hydraulics--only cable brakes. I suspect that is due to market needs and/or the big design change for such a niche product.
Old 12-21-17, 03:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Only locking lever I'm aware of, is for tricycles... to keep it from rolling off, since it wont fall over..
Old 12-21-17, 04:09 PM
MePoocho
Always Learning

Bikes: Very Upgraded Denali 63.5cm

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KaisoArt,

Think about all the passenger jet airliners. They all have landing struts that are nitrogen pressure over hydraulic fluid. They share similar seals as disk brakes in automobiles and your cycle. These planes everyday hit the ground with considerable force and they sit on the ground with their gross weight on these struts with no problems.

So, I agree with FBinNY in that a little pressure on you brake lever for a period of time is no issue. But should you notice some fluid weeping out around your caliper it would be an indicator of a problem with seals. I then would suspect an inferiorly designed caliper or one that has lots of miles on it and needs attention. The 'weeping' is the key indicator of a problem developing. It is better to find it with your cycle sitting static than during hard braking while in the dynamic mode.

Go for it............
Old 12-21-17, 09:51 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MePoocho
Think about all the passenger jet airliners. They all have landing struts that are nitrogen pressure over hydraulic fluid. They share similar seals as disk brakes in automobiles and your cycle. These planes everyday hit the ground with considerable force and they sit on the ground with their gross weight on these struts with no problems.
As well, so called "parking brakes" in passenger jets are often mechanisms that keep the hydraulic pressure on while a plane is parked. I'm sure the OP doesn't need to worry about velcro-locking a bicycle brake.