Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Upgrade options for a returning rider

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-03-20, 07:43 AM
TinyBear

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Giant Seek1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

Yesterday i did a bit of work on my hybrid bike (2010 Giant Seek 1) as it has not been touched since 2012 when I got hurt. And took it for a 5km ride. My bloody god I forgot how ruff the ride on a fully ridged bike with road bike tires is. My battered body can’t take that regularly anymore. So I thinking I will be cleaning it up and selling it, or look into putting different rims and tires and posssibly a suspension fork and seat post on the bike.

My question is I have not done much with bikes so what do I have for options. Can’t I do anything with this bike or should I just sell it and get something new.

Old 01-03-20, 08:23 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
I feel like a broken record lately, but I'll throw it out there anyway! Before you spend $$$ on upgrades, try adjusting your air pressure--chances are that it is a contributing factor if you are running at max, as many do. Try lowering it in 5psi increments and try running the front 5 to 10 psi lower than the rear. Or, if you can fit wider tires, that might help-& again, don't run them at the max. Might be all that is needed. Worked for me on my road bike-I thought running at max was faster until someone advised otherwise. Tried lowering from the max, and it's not only not as jarring, but faster also.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 01-03-20, 08:39 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
I wouldn't get overly excited after 1 ride. You may have to work back up a bit.

According to this-
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=19467
You currently have 32mm tires.
You should be able to go to 35-37mm without any issue.
I'd give that a try before getting too carried away.
Old 01-03-20, 10:17 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
I’m 75 years old and ride bikes like this almost daily. Keep riding and reduce air pressure your body will most likely adapt. If it doesn’t after a reasonable amount of time then look into something else
Glad you are riding again and have fun.
Old 01-03-20, 10:33 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
First and biggest effect: fit much larger tires and run them at lower pressure. Cheap, easy, effective.
Likes For AnkleWork:
Old 01-03-20, 10:50 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Totally agree with all the above comments. Try lowering the tire pressure first and if that don't make enough difference, look at larger tires. It's amazing how much softer a larger tire rides. Good luck to you,
Old 01-03-20, 12:30 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
While I agree with the above, I'll add a note about riding technique that will go a long way towards making your rides more comfortable. Without seeing how you ride, I suspect that you "ride heavy" in the saddle and your arms are probably stiff. Try to hover over the saddle instead of sitting on it. It's called a saddle for a reason in that it supports you but it isn't a "seat" for sitting on. If the saddle is bearing all of your weight, it's going to drive right up your spine and make you very uncomfortable.

For the handlebars, relax your grip and bend your arms. Let your arms (and legs) flex as you ride over bumps and holes in the road. You want a light grip on the handlebars and you don't want your elbows locked straight. Your elbows should have a similar angle to what you use on a steering wheel but instead of being at the 4 and 8 o'clock position, your elbows should be at about the 3 and 9 position.

Finally, if you see the bump coming or it's a big bump, put your feet parallel to the ground and lift up slightly with your legs while you coast over the bump. Your arms and legs should flex as you go over the bump letting the bike come up towards you. Physics will keep you...or, more technically, your center of gravity....moving in a straight line. If your arms and legs are rigid, your CG will go up as you go over the bump and down afterwards. If you allow your arms and legs are flexed, the bike will rise towards your CG but your CG will continue in the same line.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-03-20, 12:45 PM
TinyBear

Thanks for help.

The tire pressure I was running 90ish psi (My hand pumps junk but only thing I have to fill these presta valves) which is the max.

I think if anything I will try a slightly larger tire and a suspension seat post first. I’m comfy on my hard tail bike but it’s also a bit slower and don’t quite roll as easy.

any recommendations for a good slightly larger tire that’s good for bike paths paved and gravel?

unfortunetly I am riding heavy in the saddle as my legs are weakened from injury. Main reason I want push so hard to try riding again is to build strength, flexibility and ability I lost in my accident. I have a 2.5 year old and a new born on the way , and I don’t want to be the father yelling from his arm chair. I’d rather be yelling from right behind em lol.

Last edited by TinyBear; 01-03-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 01:44 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by TinyBear
Thanks for help.

The tire pressure I was running 90ish psi ........
That''s HIGH for 32mm tires unless you are heavier than 250-300 lbs. or so.
How much do you weigh?
Old 01-03-20, 02:28 PM
TinyBear

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
That''s HIGH for 32mm tires unless you are heavier than 250-300 lbs. or so.
How much do you weigh?

I am 250lbs which is why I have always run maximum psi.
Old 01-03-20, 03:09 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Try dropping pressure 10 PSI. If it feels squirrely, you can up it. Maybe 15 less on the front.
You might cut your distance for the next couple days and let your body "ease into it".
That might make things seem a bit less dismal.
Once you feel like adding miles, your body will let you know how much. Just don't over do it.
Old 01-03-20, 03:28 PM
TinyBear

Yeah today I did a similar ride but took my other bike. Looking like snow again next week so will be back to the stationary bike again until spring or if we have and more warm spells again.
Old 01-24-20, 05:04 AM
TinyBear

Picked up my bike from the shop today and took it for a quick 3km spin. Went with bontrager H5 tires in 700x38c. Good improvement in ride and wet grip. Love how easy this bike is to pedal and those brakes are awesome. Overall I think I keep the bike around and try as is for now. In the future if I feel the need I will look into a suspension seat post for some extra comfort.

I set myself a goal for the summer to complete the local Cambridge to Paris Rail trail and back again. Not much of a ride to some but for my fat broken self it shall be a challenge and one I really am looking forward to on this bike. Thanks all for the advice.

Old 01-24-20, 07:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Picked up my bike from the shop today and took it for a quick 3km spin. Went with bontrager H5 tires in 700x38c. Good improvement in ride and wet grip. Love how easy this bike is to pedal and those brakes are awesome. Overall I think I keep the bike around and try as is for now. In the future if I feel the need I will look into a suspension seat post for some extra comfort.

I set myself a goal for the summer to complete the local Cambridge to Paris Rail trail and back again. Not much of a ride to some but for my fat broken self it shall be a challenge and one I really am looking forward to on this bike. Thanks all for the advice.
What pressure are you running? Even at your weight, with 38mm tires I am pretty sure you would have no issues going down to ~55/70 psi (front/rear). And likely even lower.
Old 01-24-20, 07:27 AM
TinyBear

Originally Posted by Kapusta
What pressure are you running? Even at your weight, with 38mm tires I am pretty sure you would have no issues going down to ~55/70 psi (front/rear). And likely even lower.

Honestly didn’t check just what bike shop filled too. Still need to get a good pump/gauge. But this bike pretty much parked (hung from ceiling of garage) till spring. My other bikes the one I will abuse on the salty roads when weather cooperates.
Old 01-24-20, 01:00 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I was away from riding for some years also and now just getting back into it. What I did was some indoor cycling first. Look on craigslist for the cheapest bikestand trainer. People buy these, never use them then sell them for $60 on CL. You can get good deals.

With a smooth/slick rear tire on a roller, there are no bumps. Ride indoors and do two things: (1) get back in shape, (2) adjust your bike for best fit. Moving the seat and bars and the position of your cleats makes a difference in comfort.

But mostly you need to get back into shape. Start with 15 minute rides. If you are even a little sore the next day skip riding one day. But you should be able to do a short ride every day. Then up the time to 30 minutes. When you can comfortably ride indoors for 30 minutes THEN take the bike back on the bike path.

You need to ease back into this and over doing t is not good. The best indicator is that you should recover from a workout in a day if not you are going to hard. Your body makes changes durring the recovery period, NOT while riding so you have to allow this recovery, hence the need to start slow.

Indoor rideing can be lower stress. Set a class or water and a towel on a table near by and tune on the TV or read a book.

Buying a new bike will not help as much as buying a $60 used training stand.
Old 01-24-20, 01:17 PM
TinyBear

Originally Posted by ChrisAlbertson
I was away from riding for some years also and now just getting back into it. What I did was some indoor cycling first. Look on craigslist for the cheapest bikestand trainer. People buy these, never use them then sell them for $60 on CL. You can get good deals.

With a smooth/slick rear tire on a roller, there are no bumps. Ride indoors and do two things: (1) get back in shape, (2) adjust your bike for best fit. Moving the seat and bars and the position of your cleats makes a difference in comfort.

But mostly you need to get back into shape. Start with 15 minute rides. If you are even a little sore the next day skip riding one day. But you should be able to do a short ride every day. Then up the time to 30 minutes. When you can comfortably ride indoors for 30 minutes THEN take the bike back on the bike path.

You need to ease back into this and over doing t is not good. The best indicator is that you should recover from a workout in a day if not you are going to hard. Your body makes changes durring the recovery period, NOT while riding so you have to allow this recovery, hence the need to start slow.

Indoor rideing can be lower stress. Set a class or water and a towel on a table near by and tune on the TV or read a book.

Buying a new bike will not help as much as buying a $60 used training stand.

I don’t have a trainer but have been using the stationary bike I do have daily for the past few months. It’s not as fancy as it has no free wheel action and the ergos are not perfect but it’s something and is allowing me to do a bit more.

One day I will do 10-15 mins at a harder difficulty and get my heart rate up to 130-140bpm. The next will be low difficulty for half an hour with a heart rate around 110-120bpm. My stating heart rate seems to average 85bpm.

A couple days a week I follow up the bike with some exercises I was shown in physio years ago to try getting as much flexibility as I can out of my left ankle and knee.
Old 01-24-20, 01:36 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Good for you! Getting back on the bike is a big, major step, and it will take time to get your body back into shape. Just take your time and enjoy the fact you’re back riding. Make adjustments as necessary to stay motivated. Keep at it and good luck!
Old 01-24-20, 02:55 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I don’t have a trainer but have been using the stationary bike I do have daily for the past few months. It’s not as fancy as it has no free wheel action and the ergos are not perfect but it’s something and is allowing me to do a bit more.

One day I will do 10-15 mins at a harder difficulty and get my heart rate up to 130-140bpm. The next will be low difficulty for half an hour with a heart rate around 110-120bpm. My stating heart rate seems to average 85bpm.

A couple days a week I follow up the bike with some exercises I was shown in physio years ago to try getting as much flexibility as I can out of my left ankle and knee.

I have an old stationary bike too. It is OK for building cardio but the advantage of the roller type training is that you can try outfit adjustments on your road bike. If there is an ankle of knee pain it can be address be changing size and location of parts. Then you ride on the roller. A mirror can help too or a video camera (iPhone on tripod) See how your knees bend and if knees or over pedals both front to back the left/right. Just buy the cheapest one you can find. then in 6 months sell it on Cl for the same price. Like renting for free. "Fit" realy does matter for comfort.

You can read online about how to fit a bike and later ask very specic questions on the forum. They make things like wedges to go under the cleat to change the angle of you ankle and many other little things but you need to ride your road bike to try out the corrections.
Old 01-25-20, 06:23 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I put a Redshift Shockstop stem on my road bike: Redshift Shockstop Stem. It does work to absorb the shock in the hands and arms without feeling like you're riding with a spring, which it isn't. Of course when I did a quick review here the response I got was to lower the pressure in my tires instead. I tried that first but I don't like the feel of squishy tires, plus in NYC you'll get pinch flats. I usually run my tires at about 5psi under max, and for GP4000/GP5000 I run at 110psi in a 700/23 size.
Old 01-26-20, 01:43 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
We have a stationary bike and a treadmill that go literally unused. Then I have a wheel on fluid trainer (used $50 craigslist) and Zwift ($15 month) has me riding 120 miles and pulling 12,000 feet of incline per week, 600 miles/48,000 + feet just in the past 30 days.

A year ago I was a couch dweller. Yes I have made numerous adjustments to my bike and worked through pain and agony especally in my hands but other places also. I cannot wait for spring and hitting the roads.