Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Switch from 29 to 27.5?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Switch from 29 to 27.5?

Old 10-01-20, 01:32 PM
Broid

Bikes: Parlee Altum R, 85 Eddy Merckx Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Switch from 29 to 27.5?

New to mountain biking, still road biking, and recently picked up an Intense Primer with some nice parts, including Spank 345 Trail tubeless alloy wheels. Thinking about switching to 27.5, would like to feel my bike a bit lower overall as the 29's make for a very tall bike. Medium size frame is right, but the wheels make it feel much larger. My question, is that an odd thing to do? So many 29'rs out there now and not sure if 29's are really important for me as a total mtb noob. So, is that a dumb switch? And, anybody out there want to sell some 27.5's or swap for my 29's as part of the deal?
Thanks in advance...
Brian
Old 10-01-20, 02:49 PM
beermode

Bikes: 2011 Spec Allez w/ new stuff, 2019 Stumpjumper ST Alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope, not odd. 27.5 still has a ton of bike, tire and wheel support. There are new 27.5 bikes coming out now as we speak. There is a reason for that, people still demand 27.5 bikes. 27.5 seems to get up and go for technical climbs, easier to navigate on tight switchbacks, easier to correct when picking lines, and so on. 29s are faster, but not all of us are racing in the EWS.
That being said, if I were to pick up a bike, I would stick with it assuming the fit is okay. I am not sure why you feel like you are on top of the bike if the reach is okay. Is the reach off? Do you have a dropper post to shift weight around during descents? There is a little bit of "on top of feeling" with most bikes when the post is raised for climbing. It's just the way it is. Bike Mag and others call this the "hover bike" feeling.
My current bike is a 27.5. My next bike will most likely be a 29...but the bike after that might go back.
Old 10-01-20, 03:13 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Most who get a second wheelset in 27.5 go wider. Plus size has some advantages off road, and you won't lose as much bottom bracket height. If you need the width, you won't notice the added weight. If you don't need the wider tires they will feel slow to accelerate. Frame geometry generally trumps wheel sized for handling feel. My Pugsley with a 26x4 front and 27.5x 2.5 rear is quicker steering than my Monocog 29er, as counterintuitive as it sounds. My Fargo has the widest tallest tires I could get on it (29x3 and 29x2.5) just to keep from hanging pedals everywhere because of the low bottom bracket.

I choose the width of tire I want to ride for the trail, I have all three wheel sizes. The diameter usually doesn't make as much difference as some think.
Old 10-01-20, 03:41 PM
Broid

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks both of you. Faster is not an issue for me, I'm mostly a light trail rider at this point and the 29's feel large and unruly. Wider or lower is not going to be an issue as much as making the bike more nimble and easier to ride for me. At least that's my goal and I'm just thinking the switch to 27.5 will give a good nudge in that direction...
Old 10-01-20, 04:10 PM
beermode

Bikes: 2011 Spec Allez w/ new stuff, 2019 Stumpjumper ST Alloy

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some people are more sensitive to how each part differs. My boss can ride anything, slay the trail and climb like a champ, but he can barely tell me how one bike felt different.
I would suggest demo'ing a bike if buying new. I'm concerned you feel strongly connected to how 29s feel ungainly. Remember that most XC bikes are 29 now. In fact, it's hard to find one designed in the past few years that isn't a 29 (different story with trail bikes). And most XC riders would call their trails "light" in features and would describe their bikes as nimble and race car twitchy.
Old 10-01-20, 04:54 PM
Broid

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I already own the bike, bought an Intense Primer from a local guy on CL. Really sweet bike, just looking for adjustments based on my experiences riding it so far...

Originally Posted by beermode
Some people are more sensitive to how each part differs. My boss can ride anything, slay the trail and climb like a champ, but he can barely tell me how one bike felt different.
I would suggest demo'ing a bike if buying new. I'm concerned you feel strongly connected to how 29s feel ungainly. Remember that most XC bikes are 29 now. In fact, it's hard to find one designed in the past few years that isn't a 29 (different story with trail bikes). And most XC riders would call their trails "light" in features and would describe their bikes as nimble and race car twitchy.
Old 10-01-20, 08:14 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
You shouldn't just slap 27.5 wheels on a 29er bike, it will throw all the geo out of whack. If nothing else your lower BB height will be annoying as hell, pedal strikes left and right. Just keep riding it as a 29er for awhile and it will stop feeling weird. If you want a 27.5er then you need a new bike.
Old 10-02-20, 10:26 AM
Broid

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
You shouldn't just slap 27.5 wheels on a 29er bike, it will throw all the geo out of whack. If nothing else your lower BB height will be annoying as hell, pedal strikes left and right. Just keep riding it as a 29er for awhile and it will stop feeling weird. If you want a 27.5er then you need a new bike.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-02-20, 01:11 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
There are threads all over the place of people going to 27.5, or going to a B9er with the 27.5 in back. Some like it, some hate it.

No one can tell you if you will like it or not. As for pedal strikes, a lot depends on how light the trails are that you ride. You need something on the trail to strike first.

If you can find a decent set of 27.5 wheels pretty cheap, try it and see if you like it.

John
Old 10-02-20, 02:17 PM
Canker

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Most of the people putting 27.5 wheels on 29ers are putting 27.5+ tires on those wheels so there is very little difference in the diameter between the two. The rest are running 27.5 just in the rear and usually for some specific use like downhill racing.

Last edited by Canker; 10-02-20 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-03-20, 07:42 PM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Broid
I already own the bike, bought an Intense Primer from a local guy on CL. Really sweet bike, just looking for adjustments based on my experiences riding it so far...
Sweet ride, but we need a photo to be sure.

here's mine
Old 10-05-20, 11:08 AM
Broid

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Intense Primer in the wild

Likes For Broid:
Old 10-05-20, 11:17 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I still ride a "regular" hard tail mountain bike with 26" wheels as that was all there was when I bought it. I would like to upgrade to a full suspension and would probably go with 27.5" over 29". My understanding is that while the larger wheels make it easier to go over things there is some sacrifice in handling. I like that the 27.5" wheels offer a nice middle spot between obstacle clearance and technical handling.
Old 10-05-20, 11:32 AM
eshew

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
29's do take a while to get used to. I did find that running a slightly narrower bar brought back the steering speed that was more inline with what a 27.5 felt like. You might want to try moving your grips and everything in around 10mm per side & see if that feels more normal.
Old 10-05-20, 06:18 PM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Broid
I don't like SRAM, but I'd rather ride that, than any 27.5 bike.
Old 10-05-20, 10:41 PM
Broid

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I don't like SRAM, but I'd rather ride that, than any 27.5 bike.

Thanks Noodle...