Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Winter project bike frame protection

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Winter project bike frame protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20, 07:02 PM
pvrsykes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Winter project bike frame protection

My wife and I bought a new bike for each in September. My plan this winter is to place clear tape or similar material on the frame of each bike for frame protection. Does anyone have suggestions what material works best at a reasonable cost <$60 per bike and where to purchase? The bikes are road touring type and I live in Canada.
Old 11-09-20, 07:10 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by pvrsykes
My wife and I bought a new bike for each in September. My plan this winter is to place clear tape or similar material on the frame of each bike for frame protection. Does anyone have suggestions what material works best at a reasonable cost <$60 per bike and where to purchase? The bikes are road touring type and I live in Canada.

If its a decent quality paint finish, it will last longer than the person riding the bike, even when subjected to adverse conditions
Likes For Moisture:
Old 11-09-20, 07:18 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
They make a special film for that you can find online, but like Moisture mentioned, if it's a good quality paint job and most good bikes come with quality paint then just put a good quality wax on it and spend a little time cleaning it after rides. My old Giant looks good and it's been around a while. I don't wax it, seems excessive for an old bike, but I clean it after every wet ride.
Old 11-09-20, 07:31 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
They make a special film for that you can find online, but like Moisture mentioned, if it's a good quality paint job and most good bikes come with quality paint then just put a good quality wax on it and spend a little time cleaning it after rides. My old Giant looks good and it's been around a while. I don't wax it, seems excessive for an old bike, but I clean it after every wet ride.
I'd be more concerned about the chain, BB and other components getting wet after a wet ride. The frame would be my very last concern. Newer bikes generally aren't as good quality as vintage stuff, but with that being said if you regularly wax your frame it will look brand new for a very long time.

I recommend to not worry about the cosmetics so much. Just go out there and enjoy your bike. Nothing like seeing my bike covered in dirt, mud, and scratches. It consoles me to confirm that I've been thrashing the thing duly.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 11-09-20, 11:02 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Sounds ridiculous!
Old 11-10-20, 06:31 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Use a good car wax on the bike frame and components before winter comes. If you ride a lot, maybe reapply once or twice before spring.

Do they use very much de-icing chemicals where you live on the roads? If so, your chain will be shot by spring, give it a good wax lube before each ride but plan on replacing it in spring. I do not put many miles on my bikes in winter, so I usually just start in fall with chains that are near the end of their life span and replace in spring.
Old 11-10-20, 10:28 AM
pvrsykes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your replies to my post. I will take your advice in consideration and dial back my intentions of plastic frame protection. The main areas I am concerned about are where the bike carrier clamps down to the frame of the bikes. Keeping the bikes clean and using a quality wax sounds like good advice and much more simple.
Old 11-10-20, 12:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by pvrsykes
Thank you for your replies to my post. I will take your advice in consideration and dial back my intentions of plastic frame protection. The main areas I am concerned about are where the bike carrier clamps down to the frame of the bikes. Keeping the bikes clean and using a quality wax sounds like good advice and much more simple.
If you are driving around with your bikes on a car in winter when you are driving on roads with snow and slush, your bikes will look pretty bad, especially if they use de-icing chemicals.

A lot of the worst of it had already melted before I took the photo. Note how much icy crud built up on the wheels, spokes, etc., that has not melted off yet.

My bike is the yellow one. I am glad I had an internally geared hub instead of a derailleur bike for this trip, the drive train would have been a bigger mess to clean up.
Old 11-10-20, 01:16 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I think the biggest problem you'll have with the finish is leaning the bike up against something and watching it fall down, scraping all the way. Very painful the first time it happens.

You might try careful application of some clear packing tape on the seatstays, top tube, and fork to prevent that scraping. I'm not sure what it would do to any decals, though.
Old 11-10-20, 03:26 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by pdlamb
You might try careful application of some clear packing tape on the seatstays, top tube, and fork to prevent that scraping. I'm not sure what it would do to any decals, though.
A couple thousand mile trip on a bike rack with a bike I used to have, the rack wore through some paint on the frame. A different bike for a later trip, I wrapped electric tape on the parts of the frame that the bike rack contacted to avoid that, and that bike had a clear coat over the colored paint, the tape peeled the clear coat off of the frame.

If you really wanted to wrap something on the frame, I would recommend avoiding anything with good adhesive. Maybe a kitchen cling wrap like Glad Press N Seal would be better.
Old 11-10-20, 05:54 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Go to Amazon and search for 3M helicopter tape. It's the stuff they put on the leading edges of helicopter blades to protect them from damage. It applies like a decal and it works great. There are a variety of widths and shapes you can get it in. It's also the same stuff the automotive industry uses to protect from rock chip damage on hoods, doors etc... There are a number of die cut versions that are for protecting chain stays from chain slap, from cables rubbing on head tubes etc.... We just bought it in a roll and applied it to the various tubes.

It's easy to apply - you use a hair dryer to keep it soft and soapy water to apply it like a decal. There are tons of videos on Youtube about how to do it. It's easy if you're patient.

We did this last season on my wife's custom Gunnar frame for her gravel bike and a friend that also bought a Gunnar frame. You can't see the stuff but it is super touch and it will protect the paint in a big way. This bikes gets ridden on a lot of gravel roads and it the tape has done a terrific job of protecting the paint from chips. We applied it on the chain stays, the underside of the down tube and the fork blades. Highly recommend it - wish I'd done it on one of the frames of a bike I'd built.

For what bikes cost these days, and if you care about taking care of your stuff, this is the answer.
Old 11-11-20, 09:35 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Yeah JohnJ80 just gave you the right info. I used the ISC Racers tape and if you read the reviews they are full of bikers. Now if you have an area of the bike that takes a heavy beating you might want too look at 3m 2228
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Moi...5151931&sr=8-5
I use it on my chainstay and under the bottom bracket on my mtn bikes. It is very thick and rubber like but it is a bit messy to take off.
Old 11-13-20, 07:12 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Go to Amazon and search for 3M helicopter tape.

For what bikes cost these days, and if you care about taking care of your stuff, this is the answer.
Snap - its also the stuff recommended to protect frames when using bike packing frame bags.

Amazon won't be your only available source, but a good start
Old 11-22-20, 12:46 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
If its a decent quality paint finish, it will last longer than the person riding the bike, even when subjected to adverse conditions
Liked and agreed. Just ride it and take care of it.