Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Trek Ex7 or 2019 scott spark 700

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 08:12 AM
Mast3rmind0026

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im want to get full suspension bike but i cant decide which one to get trek fuel ex5, scott spark 950,trek fuel ex7 or 2019 spark 700. Me personally I’m leaning towards trek fuel ex7 and 2019 spark 700 they are almost the same price $2800.

if you guys have any suggestions any brand and model pls let me know. As of now those bikes are the only size small and that price point available in NJ.

Trek fuel ex 7 -———-$2899 sram NX 32lb
2019 scott spark 700–$2799 sram NX 28lb
Trek fuel ex 5 ———-$2099 deore m610 34lb
Scott spark 950———$2999 sram GX 31lb

Last edited by Mast3rmind0026; 01-10-21 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-10-21, 01:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Looking at the Treks...

A lot of the weight difference is that the 7 is set up tubeless with kevlar-bead tires, while the 5 has tubes and steel bead tires that might not tolerate tubeless unless they actually say so on the sidewall. I wonder if you might like to grab the 5 and do a tire upgrade. Other than that, there are a lot of one-step upgrades that still don't take anything up to "fancy" level. It's kind of funny the 7 has Shimano brakes, usually a SRAM flavored bike will have either SRAM or Tektro. Not that it matters a lot.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-10-21, 07:41 PM
Mast3rmind0026

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Looking at the Treks...

A lot of the weight difference is that the 7 is set up tubeless with kevlar-bead tires, while the 5 has tubes and steel bead tires that might not tolerate tubeless unless they actually say so on the sidewall. I wonder if you might like to grab the 5 and do a tire upgrade. Other than that, there are a lot of one-step upgrades that still don't take anything up to "fancy" level. It's kind of funny the 7 has Shimano brakes, usually a SRAM flavored bike will have either SRAM or Tektro. Not that it matters a lot.
Thank you so much...I’m thinking if that one step upgrade is going to make difference performance of the bike. I have test ride ex5 and that is my first full suspension bike and the Shimano Deore is alot better compare to lowest class shimano tourney. Ill try to test ride ex7 if its big difference. Thank you
Old 01-10-21, 07:41 PM
Mast3rmind0026

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek ex5

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Looking at the Treks...

Thank you so much...I’m thinking if that one step upgrade is going to make difference performance of the bike. I have test ride ex5 and that is my first full suspension bike and the Shimano Deore is alot better compare to lowest class shimano tourney. Ill try to test ride ex7 if its big difference. Thank you
Old 01-11-21, 10:05 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
In that case maybe grab the 5 and leave it alone... you can try tubeless later if you want.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-11-21, 10:10 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Last fall I was looking into either a Trek Fuel EX or Top Fuel. I felt getting the 7 over the 5 in either bike was well worth price difference based on the parts specs and the few reviews I was able to find specific to those two models. As I recall, I think the 7 upgrades the fork, shocks, wheels, tires, brakes. The drivetrain is also an upgrade but that's probably the smallest difference (SRAM GX vs Shimano Deore). The EX7 should come set up tubeless, whereas the EX5 does not even have tubeless ready tires. I have the Shimano MT200 brakes on my rigid single-speed where they are perfectly acceptable but the MT410 will do a better job on a bike like the heavier, rowdier Fuel EX. Fox shock over the X-Fusion is a nice step up, too. And while I am not a weight-weenie, there is an over three pound difference between the EX5 and EX7 (2021 model specs).

I was not able to test ride either model since no demos were in the shops (friends were letting me test ride their bikes to help me decide what I wanted; that $5000+ EX9.7 was beautiful but way out of my budget &#128513. If you've never ridden a full squish for any length of time, you might not be able to discern much of a difference between the EX5 and EX7 in one test ride. If you do get the chance, pay attention more to the adjustability of the fork and shock. Also, be sure to ask the shop to set the air pressure and rebound on the bikes based on your weight so you are comparing apples to apples on your test ride.

My bike shop was also showing me the Fuel EX 8 which I would be fine with but don't know that I needed over the 7 (availability was an issue here, an EX8 was coming in in February, a EX7 or TF7 wouldn't come in until early summer).

All that said, the Fuel EX5 is a great bike and if that's what fits into your budget then have no worries. It's a really good bike and that $800 jump to the EX7 is easily enough to crash a bike budget. If you do go for an EX5, you might want to see if the shop will give you a deal on going tubeless with different tires and the full set-up before you ever take delivery of the bike. I've upgraded many things on many bikes over the years, most of which fell into "That's nice, glad I did it." down to "That was a waste of money." Going tubeless on my rigid SS and my gravel bike was the only upgrade that ever made my go, "Holy, shiest! Why didn't I do this sooner?"

PS: For my riding I was leaning towards the Top Fuel. Different specs and differences but I would still go with a 7 over a 5.
PPS: In the end, someone gave me a nice deal on an eight month old 2019 Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus.
PPPS: I have no experience with the Scott bikes. My LBS is primarily a Trek dealer. I also get a discount due to being on their team and volunteer hours at local events and trail building; so for me, going with any new Trek has a decent price advantage over other brands.

Last edited by telebianchi; 01-11-21 at 10:17 AM.