Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Frame Protection (Carbon)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 09:14 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Frame Protection (Carbon)

My previous riding on gravel trails and roads was on steel or aluminum frames and I never thought about the many ‘pings’ hitting the frame from gravel. I now have a carbon frame and I’m wondering if it’s necessary to add something like helicopter tape, to areas like bottom of the downtube, to protect the frame from damage? I don’t care about looks, but I don’t want small stone chips to cause any long term damage.

FWIW - I mainly ride this bike on rail trails and gravel roads where in both cases the gravel is usually hard packed, smaller than a pea, but my tires do kick it up often.
Old 02-03-21, 11:24 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
i doubt any tape will help but 3m makes some clear tape i use it , doesn't really work but i ride my cx bike on mtb trails so it probably would work better if i just races it or road on cx courses , i can use it to protect my frame from cable rub , i was thinking about trying some if these thermal vynl wraps i saw on amazon , might be a cool hack to try , on my aluminum frame i used gorilla tape on a rub spot , i personally dont get the practical use of carbon off road outside of racing but its your money so do what you want , id search bike frame protection tape
Old 02-03-21, 12:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Some new carbon frames come with 'armor' which is a hard plastic/rubbery material on the downtube.
This is a sort of aftermarket version- https://www.bikearmor.com/Downtube-Protectors-s/100.htm
Old 02-03-21, 01:10 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Tape protection is definitely a thing. I think there is some debatable points on if it's necessary or not. At a minimum I'd make sure the chain stay has some protection on it, though most bikes come with this pre-installed.

In my mind, the main benefit of taping is to help protect your frame's finish from some small nicks and chips. I'm not sure it's really going to do much to protect the frame from bigger hits that would cause structural concerns. On the other hand, people buying carbon frames have no way to know if the small paint chips/nicks are a result of a bunch of tiny pieces of gravel, or from a larger impact that might have damaged the frame, so something to consider I guess.
Old 02-03-21, 01:32 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Certainly won't hurt. I run it on my mtn bike but haven't bothered on my road/gravel bike probably should but I'm lazy. 3m mastic tape is also really good for areas that take a serious beating.
Old 02-03-21, 02:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
isn't the mastic sticky on both sides? What do you put on top?
Old 02-03-21, 02:35 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=downtube+...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Old 02-03-21, 09:38 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
isn't the mastic sticky on both sides? What do you put on top?
No it isn't.