Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opinions on this bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Opinions on this bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-19, 06:12 PM
Irenicus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Opinions on this bike?

Looking at this bike that is posted for sale. a 2011 Specialized Allez base model. Guy said he's rode it quite a bit but cannot ride anymore..

Just curious if this is a decent price for the bike? ($460CAD) or if anybody has any clue what a fair price would be. I'm terrible at pricing bikes and I don't want to lowball him.

Any opinions are super appreciated

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classif...-Bike_35019300
Old 11-30-19, 06:30 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
The bike is a 2010 https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...roduct/3035142
$460CAD is about $350US
Any extras (I wouldn't consider the clip on aero bars an extra), is it 100% - needing nothing?
Does it fit?
Old 11-30-19, 06:40 PM
Irenicus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
The bike is a 2010 https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...roduct/3035142
$460CAD is about $350US
Any extras (I wouldn't consider the clip on aero bars an extra), is it 100% - needing nothing?
Does it fit?
Haven't actually checked it out yet. What should I be looking for exactly? I guess I can ask when the last tune up was.. those cost about $80 here.
Old 11-30-19, 07:20 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I don't know if this is even possible, but you really need to ride that bike before you fork over the cash. As alluded to by 02Giant, if it doesn't fit it doesn't matter how good of a deal it is. Find a way to mount some pedals on that puppy and take it for a spin.
Old 11-30-19, 07:30 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
A used bike can be a good deal or a bad deal at the same price. If you have to replace a lot of components it can get expensive, especially if you are paying to have it done.
I never buy a used bike without bringing along a chain gauge. If the chain is worn beyond 75% you can expect the gears to be worn as well. You can pick a gauge up at MEC, the basic one is only$16.
Look close at brake wear ans even more importantly, rim wear on the braking surface. I also agree about taking it for a ride. Not just to see how it rides, but also how it shifts. Slow, or "ghost" shifting could be a sign you need new brake cables/housings.
Old 11-30-19, 07:34 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
If you have to pay a bike shop to do a "tune up" you might not be the best candidate for a second hand bike. Bike maintenance isn't exactly rocket science and there are tutorials to teach you exactly how to do it. You can get a basic set of bike tools in a kit for around $30USD. When you add up labor costs and overhead a bike shop has to charge a lot. Personally I don't like the phrase "tune up" because it can mean a lot of things or very few. If the shop is honest you might get your $80 out of it but if they just clean, adjust, and test the bike, that is money pretty much thrown away.

The seller told you he had ridden the bike a lot. That may mean some of the wear parts will need replacing. You will not be able to tell which parts need replacing without doing some disassembly. On top of that with a second-hand bike there is no warranty. This one is old enough it might not be a factor anyway.
Old 12-01-19, 03:10 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Irenicus
Haven't actually checked it out yet. What should I be looking for exactly? I guess I can ask when the last tune up was.. those cost about $80 here.
Apologies for the late response. The replies posted here are right on.

Unless I am missing something, the bike new was $850 msrp, likely could have been bought for somewhat less. It is now 9 years old and claimed "rode quite a bit", $350 is too much. Unless it has been tuned recently, excellent tires, and all wear items recently replaced. Generally like new which from the pics, it doesn't appear to be.
I do agree with typical comments in other threads that BBB prices too low, probably not in this case.
Old 12-01-19, 03:33 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Apologies for the late response. The replies posted here are right on.

Unless I am missing something, the bike new was $850 msrp, likely could have been bought for somewhat less. It is now 9 years old and claimed "rode quite a bit", $350 is too much. Unless it has been tuned recently, excellent tires, and all wear items recently replaced. Generally like new which from the pics, it doesn't appear to be.
I do agree with typical comments in other threads that BBB prices too low, probably not in this case.
I agree, way too much for a bike a decade old and a lots of mileage..
Old 12-01-19, 03:53 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Not enough good pics to really tell but I think the frame and fork alone would be worth that much. Yeah it's a decade old but still looks modern. If I bought it I would do a complete tear down and see what's good and what's not. Rebuild or replace the wheels if that's whats needed. You would probably adjust and/or change some parts to fit your body and riding style, anyway.
Old 12-01-19, 05:13 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
If it was a good deal the bike would be gone by now. Personally the bike is almost a decade old, parts need replacing. Personally I would do it.