Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mid drive motor install on Schwinn Loop bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 05-28-19, 07:11 AM
brbledsoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 20" Schwinn Loop folding bike. I would like to install a Bafang Mid Drive electric motor. Has anyone successfully installed a mid drive motor on the Schwinn Loop bike? I am interested in clearance and fit when placing the motor on the bottom bracket housing before purchasing this electric motor. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-19, 12:08 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I don't think you can install mid drive motors on bikes. Mid drives are designed from the beginning to be that way.
To modify your non electric bike; the labor/machining would probably cost more than the bike and motor combined.

Options would be a motorized front or rear wheel. There are also motors that spin the wheel thru friction; like the old
dynamo lights.

Last edited by 1nterceptor; 05-28-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-28-19, 02:15 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Actually, bafang makes mid drive motors to install on any bike. All you need to do is remove the crank arms/bottom bracket, and then install it.

https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbs02-750w-middrive-kit/

My only issue is the quality, or reliability, of a Schwinn Loop. I'd recommend a better folding bike.
Old 05-30-19, 01:41 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
It's not a good project IMO. The BB shell is fit oddly in a mess of tubes which will probably interfere with the motor, plus I wouldn't trust that frame and brakes to handle the power. Those BBS mid-drives are FAST.
Old 05-30-19, 06:23 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
The BBS02 normally sits parallel to the ground on most bikes, as the lower downtubes usually swoop upward with sufficient angle to allow that. I have one on a regular mountain bike,

If this Schwinn Loop is like your folder, the horizontal downtube would force it to hang perpendicular to the ground. It will also probably keep you from fully lowering the seat for transport as the seat probably hits the motor.

The lower part of the motor will extend 6 inches from the centerline of the bottom bracket. On my folders that would leave it 5" above the ground. I don't know if that could hit anything.

Lunacycle puts their BBS02 on a Mossa folder. It hits 25 mph easily. Don't know if the Loop is going to feel good going that fast.
Old 05-30-19, 06:40 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Lunacycle puts their BBS02 on a Mossa folder. It hits 25 mph easily. Don't know if the Loop is going to feel good going that fast.
I only posted the link to Lunacycle as a reference for typical BBS02 mid drive kits, so it's not the exact spec'd mid drive kit the OP plans to use. But, installing ANY mid drive kit on a Schwinn Loop is a seriously bad idea. Poor frame strength, inadequate brakes, etc,...
Old 05-31-19, 12:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Shopping sequence, may have it backwards ... motor as a forethought rather than an afterthought ..

your choice may be more suitable for a front wheel motor..
Old 06-02-19, 01:27 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
The BBS02 normally sits parallel to the ground on most bikes, as the lower downtubes usually swoop upward with sufficient angle to allow that. I have one on a regular mountain bike,

If this Schwinn Loop is like your folder, the horizontal downtube would force it to hang perpendicular to the ground. It will also probably keep you from fully lowering the seat for transport as the seat probably hits the motor.

The lower part of the motor will extend 6 inches from the centerline of the bottom bracket. On my folders that would leave it 5" above the ground. I don't know if that could hit anything.

Hehe, I owned a Luna Mossa..it doesn't feel good doing 25 (or 30), either. That thing was scary!
Old 06-03-19, 01:30 PM
brbledsoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, everyone, for the info, insight, and recommendations. I value your input. Apparently, the mid drive motor install will not be a good option for the Loop bike. I am more interested in some type of pedal assist, not so much for speed. Any recommendations for a front or rear wheel drive motor?
Old 06-07-19, 09:25 PM
Doc_Wui

I am using the the Q100H from Bmsbattery.com on our two folders, At ebikes.ca, you can get a Bafang G311 motor on a 20". wheel, However, I believe that you can buy a inexpensive folder, like the Ancheer 20" for about $600, and that will be less than what it costs you for a kit, battery and the Schwinn Loop, and it will have an integrated battery. The rest of us are having to hang batteries on our frames.
Old 02-25-20, 09:52 AM
Doc_Wui

We were looking for a step-thru folder to convert to electric, and the only models I found were the Loop and the CItizen Barcelona. Wanted to do a rear motor, so picked the Loop because I would be tossing out the nice geared hub on the CItizen, Bought the Loop last year on ebay for $240. Boo om tariffs. This used to be a $200 bike,

My initial ride of the Loop last year didn't have it feeling too bad except for tiny brake levers and sloppy rim brakes. Installed a 250W motor on the rear, but it was a bit wide, so had to use a 6 speed freewheel out of spares bin, Electric bike brake levers were full size. Still using the 7 speed barrel shifter. My wife understands them better than trigger shifters. Top speed with motor only is about 20 mph, Replaced the 42T crank gear with a for a 52T from my parts bin. It barely clears the chain stays. Put on a softer seat.

The most effort was replacing the stock one piece steerer with a telescoping unit. That turned out to be too long, so I had to cut it, and put in new slots and relief holes. It's still too long, and I used a heavy steel handlebar from parts bin. I did a half mile test ride and while the electrics work fine, the steering is a lot twitchier than I remembered. I noted that the wheelbase appears 4-6" shorter than our Downtube folders.

I'll have to go back to the original steerer and see how that feels, This is only for sedate senior riding, so I'll have to make sure the local hills don't cause trouble,. I find it kind of nice for getting on/off. Last fall I dismounted my trusty Trek 830 and got my pants leg caught on the luggage rack. Would have been a embarrassing tumble.
Old 02-25-20, 10:19 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
You can put a front hub motor kit on that Schwinn if you really want to use that bike. Grin Tech., Hill Hopper, etc. Complete kits. You can also purchase the Swytch for it. Lots of info on front hub kits in the e-bike forum. But, as was stated, if you want to go fast instead of pootling around, you want a bike that rides well at higher speeds to put the motor on.
Old 02-27-20, 06:27 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I've never used a motor, but I've read that since more weight is on the rear wheel than the front wheel, you'll get better traction if you put the motor in the rear wheel. I think there were some threads about how the front wheel motor lost traction on wet or bumpy surfaces and spun out or fell down.
Old 02-27-20, 10:26 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I do indeed have a motor I use with both my Bike Friday pakit and my Dahon Mu Uno. It's not a hub or mid-drive (OneMotor friction drive). Since folders typically do better with a little more weight up front, if your system isn't all that heavy (a hub motor of around 3-4lbs maybe) then a front wheel would be fine. Unless you gun the crap out of it going up a hill, it won't be a problem. A 250-350w system is fine up front; if you install a 500+w system it should definitely go on the rear. That said, a rear mount can be fine if your battery placement can balance out the weight of the hub in the back. I would not recommend hanging the battery high off the saddle, which I have seen some folks do. Try to place it on the main tube if possible. Keep in mind if your seat has to drop to fold the bike, then a seat post battery will not be as convenient, either.
Old 03-03-20, 08:36 AM
Doc_Wui

I cut my new steerer tube and dropped the bars on my electric Loop to the same height as the original Shchwinn bars. Took it for a test ride and saw that I could ride it no hands, so the twitchiness is no longer a concern.

I changed the tallest gearing to 52T14T, originally 42t/14T. It's not enough for me, but I believe my wife won't mind. I was still swinging my leg over the saddle, but when I put my mind to it, it was easy to use and appreciate the step-thru-ness pf the bike, I'll post a pic in a new thread.