Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

So Do People Tour with a Single Speed?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

So Do People Tour with a Single Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-17, 08:43 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I would ride that green monster, looks like a plenty aero tour bike.
Just needs a SA dyno drum to power a siren. LOL
Old 04-13-17, 10:32 PM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
coaster brakes and original 3-speed

Originally Posted by Rob_E
I don't find coaster brakes to be more efficient than rim or disc, but I wouldn't shy away from either if there were some compelling reason to use them.

In fact, I was thinking about building up a two-speed, auto (or kick-back) hub wheel, with coaster brake, for my World Troller. Reason being that if I were ever willing to settle for just two gears (Just spent a week bumming around Scottsdale/Phoenix and could have survived easily on 2 gears, or 1), it would greatly simplify the splitting, packing, and reassembly of the bike if I didn't have to rerun the brake and gear lines.

Used to love my old, Sears Tote-Cycle that was set up with a 3 speed and a coaster brake, but I never really toured on it, except one time when I was camping on an island, and left my car on the mainland, using my bike to get the gear over on the ferry. I don't think that counts.

I could see long descents being a problem.
Some cyclists using coaster brakes when I was a youth also had a front caliper brake
for the long and steep hills. The original 3-speed hubs weren't always durable for excessive
use. On my first tour when I was 14 I used an old coaster brake single speed while my
buddy had a new 3-speed Raleigh. The internal workings of his 3-speed hub broke down
after a few hundred miles.
Old 04-14-17, 06:02 AM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The Speedvagen Urban Racer is one of the most polarizing bikes in the last few years. it's very, very superfluous. Originally I was diametrically opposed, but after some thought, I think I'm happy that it exists. Why can't bicycles be an object of fancy for the rich and famous, too?

I think a $4,000 silly bike is still a bike, and still a net positive for the world.
Old 04-17-17, 04:46 AM
john_mct

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stevepusser
Of course, now I wanna know "which hill"? I know there's a couple of good ones just east of Alpine in San Diego County.
Nah everything leaving San Diego was rideable...plus it was day one so the legs were fresh. There is one short but severely sharp hill along the road into Bend NP along the Rio Grande that was like 18 percent...luckily it was only 100 ft of gain or so.

Looked kinda like this but worse...
Attached Images
Old 04-17-17, 04:49 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Just as a side note, also... there is no shame whatsoever in getting off and walking up a hill whether it's a fixed gear, single speed, or indeed, a geared bike.
Old 04-17-17, 08:36 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Just as a side note, also... there is no shame whatsoever in getting off and walking up a hill whether it's a fixed gear, single speed, or indeed, a geared bike.
Definitely not, especially if you end up running into gearing trouble and the derailleurs are acting up on you and the chain won't stay on the right chainring or cog and yourself forced off the bike as a result. Trust me I was almost their a couple of years ago on my trip when I ran into a 22-25% grade climb in Frankfort, KY. If the chain would have skipped on me just once more I would have been forced to walk up the rest of the hill. Fortunately it didn't and neither did I.
Old 05-09-17, 02:23 PM
JeffL

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I did my first tour on a single speed (Wabi Lightning SE with a 48x19 gear) a few weeks ago. I was lightly loaded (sleeping bag but no tent), and was able to do some long-ish days, and some fairly hilly terrain with no problem. It was a lot of fun, and I'll be doing it again. No walking up hills on this trip

Last edited by JeffL; 05-15-17 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-20-18, 02:14 AM
diana ruth

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Single gear is just easier,relaxing.I carry a 80 liter backpack,pull a dog trailer with 90lbs of dog/spare parts.Have all my camping gear for a very comfortable 10 day trip.Yes,I do walk up steep hills pushing my bike,carrying my backpack,and walking my dog.And I love it.I plan well,fix my own bike,always have spare parts,and front and back spare rims.I use paper maps and a compass.The best part is my son does the same thing,except he has 105lb dog in his trailer.Go for it.
Old 06-20-18, 06:08 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
One of my friends does. He's a beast. We did a century about a month ago with over 3000 vert. He did it on his single speed (broke the chain once) :-)
Old 06-20-18, 06:35 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
(broke the chain once) :-)
He must have legs like The Hulk.

Last edited by J.Higgins; 06-20-18 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-20-18, 06:55 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by diana ruth
Single gear is just easier,relaxing.I carry a 80 liter backpack,pull a dog trailer with 90lbs of dog/spare parts.Have all my camping gear for a very comfortable 10 day trip.Yes,I do walk up steep hills pushing my bike,carrying my backpack,and walking my dog.And I love it.I plan well,fix my own bike,always have spare parts,and front and back spare rims.I use paper maps and a compass.The best part is my son does the same thing,except he has 105lb dog in his trailer.Go for it.
I have a couple of questions:

While riding are you carrying the backpack on your back or is it on the trailer?

Why do you carry spare rims? Do you often break rims on tour and find yourself in areas where you wouldn't be able to source a new wheel or rim?

I had a friend who toured on an old Cannondale. When the front derailleur broke he decided he didn't really need it so he took it off and didn't replace it. When the rear derailleur broke he decided he didn't need that and just rode the bike single speed. When the fork broke... well he didn't want to tour on a unicycle so he did actually replace that. We did several short tours with the bike like that. He is incredibly fit though. I was certainly glad to have gears on our trips.
Old 06-20-18, 08:16 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I've never tried single-speed or such, but I currently ride my C'dale as a 1x7. The front derailleur is almost always at fault, in any drivetrain problems I've had, so I just eliminated the problem. 🙂
But to clarify, I'm pretty weak in the knees, so bigger chainrings would be wasted on me anyways. Except going down mountains. 😋😁
Old 06-20-18, 10:40 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Single gear is just easier,relaxing.I carry a 80 liter backpack,pull a dog trailer with 90lbs of dog/spare parts.Have all my camping gear for a very comfortable 10 day trip.Yes,I do walk up steep hills pushing my bike,carrying my backpack,and walking my dog.And I love it.I plan well,fix my own bike, always have spare parts,and front and back spare rims. I use paper maps and a compass.The best part is my son does the same thing,except he has 105lb dog in his trailer.Go for it.
Originally Posted by DanBell
I have a couple of questions:

While riding are you carrying the backpack on your back or is it on the trailer?

Why do you carry spare rims? Do you often break rims on tour and find yourself in areas where you wouldn't be able to source a new wheel or rim?

I had a friend who toured on an old Cannondale. When the front derailleur broke he decided he didn't really need it so he took it off and didn't replace it. When the rear derailleur broke he decided he didn't need that and just rode the bike single speed. When the fork broke... well he didn't want to tour on a unicycle so he did actually replace that. We did several short tours with the bike like that. He is incredibly fit though. I was certainly glad to have gears on our trips.
I'm curious about the rims as well.
Old 06-20-18, 11:45 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

I always thought my buddy touring single speed was the coolest thing ever until I met two new friends this winter who mtb fixie

Old 06-20-18, 11:49 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Single gear is just easier,relaxing.I carry a 80 liter backpack,pull a dog trailer with 90lbs of dog/spare parts......
that sounds excruciating.
you're not in the mountains, right?
more like on the katy?
Old 06-21-18, 01:45 PM
raria

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah it's called stupidity.

Put brakes on your touring bike. It's stupid not to, dangerous and illegal.

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
. Touring on a fixed gear without brakes is usually done on track bikes and is kinda a separate thing than regular touring.o.
Old 06-21-18, 01:46 PM
raria

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't make him angry

You won't like him when he's angry.

One of my friends does. He's a beast. We did a century about a month ago with over 3000 vert. He did it on his single speed (broke the chain once) :-)
Nt
Old 06-21-18, 08:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
My Single Speed/Fixed Gear RandoCross FunTime Machine has not yet gone touring but I plan on taking on some S24hr tours/bike packing sort of stuff (now that I have bikepacking bags). It is a fun bike to ride but certainly for really long stuff and carrying a lot of weight I would want gears.
Here is that bike in case you were curious. It looks pretty much the same but the bar angle was fixed and it has much wider tires. I really do need to take more and better photos of my bikes.
https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/fgss-...-machine-34058 (Pardon the crank angle and the wheels while aligned not at noon)
Old 06-15-19, 06:03 PM
Hr1
Banned.

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
People race the Tour Divide on single speed.

Slip Angle: Why Singlespeed?
Thanks alot for that ^.
Old 06-15-19, 09:20 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
That's Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, First of her name, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First men, Protector of the Realm, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains, Queen of Mereen to you.

Titles, titles, titles.....
And what did it get her?
Old 06-16-19, 01:41 AM
PedalingWalrus

I usually tour at ludicrous speed
Old 06-16-19, 04:03 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
I usually tour at ludicrous speed
Naturally, that's because his sag wagon is a Tesla.
Old 06-16-19, 08:13 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
I see SS touring as for tough guys. Thats not me.

Sometimes I want to slow pedal a big gear on the flats and not have to break a knee on the climbs.
Old 06-17-19, 12:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Author Dervla Murphy said she simplified her bike from a 3 speed and used it between Ireland and India..

there is a guy who toured on a Penny Farthing.. ./