Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Interrupter cable housingm

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 08:53 AM
funbuffalo24

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I've currently got a set of Cane Creek interrupter brakes so I can grab them from the top bar on my Bianchi. Is there any brand of compressionless cable housing that's preferred for this? It's definitely time for me to refresh my brake and shift cables on this set up. It's 9 speed campagnolo Mirage. I mean in a perfect world I'd like to run the Jagwire Elite link, but it doesn't look like it's campy compatible. Thoughts?

Also I guess it doesn't really matter but I'd prefer to run silver or white housing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 07-17-19, 03:04 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Just use the same brake housing you would use with your regular brakes. The interrupter levers just pass the inner wire through as if they were a section of the housing when you are not using them, they do not require special housing. The cable ends, all of them not just the ones which interface with the interrupter levers, need to be properly prepared. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html Scroll down to the "Cutting Housing and Preparing the Ends" section.
Old 07-17-19, 03:49 PM
funbuffalo24

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thank you, I did that when I installed the added brakes awhile back. However, the cables are just as old and now as I'm prepping to replace them, I'm wondering if theres something nice out there. Honestly I don't even recall what cable housing is on there or if I've even had it replaced. If not it's still the original from 20 years ago and I already used it more than long enough! I really dont know what's out there as a quality replacement.
Old 07-17-19, 06:17 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
If you want good quality compressionless brake housing and don't mind paying for it. I would go with the Shimano Dura-Ace brake housing. The 9000 stuff is nice and stiff. Another high quality option is the Jagwire compressionless housing that is kevlar lined, there is no wire coil, a cross section of it looks like 5mm shift housing, that stuff is also really nice. I really recommend the Jagwire kevlar housing for mechanical disc brakes.

I personally run the Dura-Ace housing on my Campagnolo equipped bike, runs like a charm.
Old 07-17-19, 07:07 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
Yokozuna is the best!