Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opening a beer while riding.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Opening a beer while riding.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 08:45 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
There was a video of a Grand Tour (I forget which video or Tour it was) that I saw a few years ago and in that video one of the riders opens a bottle by using his rear brake.

Ah I found that video!

Check out the guy at the 3:00 minutes point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sziZ6PejrfM

Cheers

You know the guy's a professional when he opens a beer with the back brake and doesn't flip over.
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 11-02-19, 05:46 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I have to wonder how can alcohol consumption whilst cycling ever be common or wise enough to necessitate a bottle opener mounted on the frame? Who doesn’t like a beer an hour or two after a long ride? By that point I can use a normal bottle opener from a kitchen drawer. Frame mounted bottle openers are a manufacturers way of selling an image instead of a practical and useful product.
Old 11-02-19, 05:55 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You can get a DUI.
My only police encounter while riding my bike happened when I picked up a couple if empty beer cans from the parking lot of the market I rode to and put them in my bottle cages. Was noticed by the cops on my way home and detained, sobriety checked then lectured. No biggie but no fun either.
Old 11-02-19, 06:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
When I drank beer more often I'd occasionally drink one or two before or on a break during a long ride. If I got back on the bike within an hour it seemed like an energy drink. Same when I was in the gym training for boxing. Occasionally I'd have a beer before a workout, if we weren't sparring. The body seemed to use it as fuel with little or no beer buzz. And if I was pushing hard enough I'd sweat it off and not need pee stops any more frequently than just drinking water.

Reportedly that's why cycle racing officials finally banned alcohol consumption during rides. At least with healthy young people it can serve as efficient fuel. And for many folks alcohol is a mild pain reliever (doesn't work that way for me), which could be considered an unfair advantage. But it's funny to see those 1960s film reels with domestiques raiding the local bars for beer and sparkling wine. Reportedly the bars would bill the team or organizers later. I'd bet they got stiffed a lot.

When I was in my 20s and riding from Mexicali to San Felipe (120 miles or so, I think) I had the bright idea to substitute beer for water or food and carried a six-pack in my handlebar bag. Canned beer with pop tops, of course, probably Dos Equis or Tecate, something local before Mexican beer was trendy. The route was much flatter than the western Pacific coast of Baja, so I wasn't sweating off liquid as quickly and by the 75 mile mark I needed to pee. But there was nothing but nothing for miles around -- not even a cactus to hide behind. I didn't want to get arrested for indecent exposure in Mexico, so I waited until we reached a "convenience store" that was basically a log cabin without electricity or plumbing. The shopkeeper let me pee in the corral outside -- that was his bathroom too. The horses didn't seem to mind. Anyway, the beer instead of water trick was okay but I wouldn't do it again.

I do recall one occasion a few years ago after three very strong beers in the 10% ABV range when I was too wobbly and pulled over for an hour before riding home. And I still felt lethargic, not energized. Now in my 60s with a dysfunctional thyroid, my metabolism ain't the same. I drink very seldom anymore. Maybe one with pizza or bbq, a couple of times a month. Any more than that and I feel like I'm getting a hangover within an hour or so. Takes all the fun out of beer.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-02-19, 09:23 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
I fill a water bottle 1/2 way with O'Doul's and into the freezer it goes. Pop another can a couple of hours before ride to lit it de-fizz then add a few ice cubes and beer to frozen bottle. On those 84°F midnight rides this past summer and fall, even 81°F this past Tuesday's Midnight ride, it's a refreshing change from H2O.
Old 11-03-19, 08:52 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I have to wonder how can alcohol consumption whilst cycling ever be common or wise enough to necessitate a bottle opener mounted on the frame? Who doesn’t like a beer an hour or two after a long ride? By that point I can use a normal bottle opener from a kitchen drawer. Frame mounted bottle openers are a manufacturers way of selling an image instead of a practical and useful product.
An hour or two after?? I'm usually having a beer while I clean the bike immediately after a ride.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 11-04-19, 04:45 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
An hour or two after?? I'm usually having a beer while I clean the bike immediately after a ride.
Our rides usually end at the pub
Likes For Witterings:
Old 11-04-19, 05:36 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Our rides usually end at the pub
which begs the question, How do you get home from the Pub?
Old 11-04-19, 07:41 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Worknomore
You can get a DUI.
My only police encounter while riding my bike happened when I picked up a couple if empty beer cans from the parking lot of the market I rode to and put them in my bottle cages. Was noticed by the cops on my way home and detained, sobriety checked then lectured. No biggie but no fun either.
I don't know about a DUI but they might write you up for a PUI (pedestrian under the influence). If you appear intoxicated on a public street and are a danger to yourself, and you blow over the legal limit then they could cite or arrest you for PUI.
Old 11-05-19, 05:46 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Who said he was going to drink it? He's only holding the bottle.
Old 11-05-19, 07:08 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I don't know about a DUI but they might write you up for a PUI (pedestrian under the influence). If you appear intoxicated on a public street and are a danger to yourself, and you blow over the legal limit then they could cite or arrest you for PUI.
Public intoxication here used to get one a night in jail, the next morning in court, and then released from jail a few hours after that. No fine as the overnight stay was the fine. Not sure if it affects a driving record or not. I haven't been charged with PI, but I've seen it happen to others.
Old 11-05-19, 07:11 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Worknomore
You can get a DUI.
Actually, you can't be charged with a DUI while on a bike (pedal only) in Michigan as it, bike, is not classified as a motor vehicle. You could have challenged their reason for stopping you and refused the sobriety test.. though likely more trouble than it might be worth. This a statement be a member of The Bar from a Grand Rapids law firm.

"You can only be charged with a DUI in Michigan if it is a motor vehicle. I did have a case once with a client riding his tractor lawn mower down the street. You can get a DUI on a motorized bicycle , but it has to have a certain amount of horsepower."

You could be charged with public intoxication, but not sure what behavior they have observe beforehand.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 11-05-19 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-05-19, 07:36 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Around here, you can get charged with DUI on a bicycle as well as driving a motorized vehicle. The legal limit is the same (0.05% blood alcohol), only the fines are much smaller and you don't lose your driver's license (if you have one) (contrary to what many people seem to believe).
The reasoning, I guess, is that while a drunk bicyclist is mostly a danger to himself, he still might collide with with other vehicles and pedestrians, causing damage, or cause an accident when vehicles are suddenly forced to avoid running him over.
And it does get enforced too, although not very often, it seems. I myself have been stopped and required to do a breathalizer test (sober), and I know a few guys that have been fined, even repeatedly. That said, it doesn't really stop people, myself included, to ride after a few beers.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 11-05-19, 07:37 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Who said he was going to drink it? He's only holding the bottle.
Open container law will apply.
Old 11-05-19, 07:56 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Public intoxication here used to get one a night in jail, the next morning in court, and then released from jail a few hours after that. No fine as the overnight stay was the fine. Not sure if it affects a driving record or not. I haven't been charged with PI, but I've seen it happen to others.
I don't know if a PUI affects driving record, but I don't think it does. But giving a drunk cyclist a PUI is the way it works in my state since a bicycle doesn't meet the legal definition of a motor vehicle.
Old 11-05-19, 07:58 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Perhaps he watched "Eddy Merckx. The Greatest Show on Earth (1975)".

Fast forward to 20:50 where you see the racers at a store then to the 21:00 minutes point where you see them with lots of bottles. For fun, watch the guy trying to open a bottle by using a recessed Allen bolt stem at 22:03 on.

For more fun check out the mechanic adjusting the rear derailleur at 32:35.

Cheers
Have I lived under a rock? Thanks for that link.
Old 11-05-19, 08:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
In my state (NH), the DUI statute definitely applies to bicycle riders as a bicycle is defined as a vehicle, and DUI is is defined by statute as operating a vehicle on a way while intoxicated. Open container law, however, only applies to "motor vehicles", so they can't get you for beer in the bottle cage.

A quick look at Michigan law makes it appear that OWI laws don't apply to bicyclists. The bike statute defines a bike as a "device", not a vehicle, but states that the operator of the device has all of the same duties as a driver of a vehicle "except as to the provisions which by their nature do not have application." Exclusively human-powered devices are specifically defined out of the category of vehicles. The OWI statute definitely identifies the offense as operating a vehicle while intoxicated, which by definition a bicyclist cannot do as the bicycle is not a vehicle. Open container laws likewise apply only to "vehicles".

Might have been able to get him for drunken disorderly in Michigan if his riding appeared sufficiently impaired that he put someone or something at risk: "A person who is intoxicated in a public place and who is either endangering directly the safety of another person or of property or is acting in a manner that causes a public disturbance." That's a crime. They could also take him into protective custody (non-criminal) if he's drunk. If they want to be jerks about it, I think they could get him for the drunken disorderly for endangering the safety of his own bicycle if he had tested sufficiently intoxicated (statute doesn't specify it has to be someone else's property).
Old 11-05-19, 08:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Bad ideas are often the best teachers.
Old 11-05-19, 09:10 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Back in the early days of mountain biking, I once rode with a motocross guy whose offroad MTB handling skills were amazing. Trying to keep up on one rocky descent, I stopped to pick up a bottle that had ejected from one of his cages. When I finally caught up to him and handed him the bottle, which looked as if it held a yellowish liquid, I asked what was in it. He said, "That? That's half water and half Jack Daniels." I said, "What's in your other bottle?" "That's all Jack Daniels."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-05-19, 09:55 AM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Lauf thought of this exact situation.
Ahh, Germans. You gotta love it. I wouldn't doubt that it's easy to get a DUI on a bike, but I don't know about container laws on single occupant bicycles.
Old 11-05-19, 11:30 AM
subgrade

Originally Posted by Falkon
Ahh, Germans. You gotta love it. I wouldn't doubt that it's easy to get a DUI on a bike, but I don't know about container laws on single occupant bicycles.
Icelanders.
Old 11-05-19, 12:13 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Icelanders.
Lauf is an Icelandic brand? I stand corrected. I thought it was like the German word "laufen".
Old 11-05-19, 12:27 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
You do you!
Old 11-05-19, 12:35 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Reading the 'open container' and 'public intoxication' posts makes me happy to live were I'm at ... no cop has time to bug somebody for having a beer. They will take notice if you're at risk of injuring yourself or others, but simply having a beer out-and-about ... that alone isn't gonna get any cop's attention.
Old 11-05-19, 12:53 PM
subgrade

Originally Posted by Falkon
Lauf is an Icelandic brand? I stand corrected. I thought it was like the German word "laufen".
That was my first impression too, when I first heard of them. Actually "lauf" means "leaf" in Icelandic, hence their logo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.